New Puppy And The Vacuum Cleaner

DaveyCC

Hi guys,

I've never posted in here before but I'm hoping someone can help me out :)

I have just brought home a new puppy, she is an 8 week old chinese crested powderpuff called Pollyanna. She is still adjusting to her new home and is understandably a bit unsure about things, but is quite terrified of the vacuum cleaner! I have a birman cat who drops a tonne of hair so I have to vacuum daily, sometimes twice daily so this is something I'd like her to get used to without being scared. I've tried carrying her in one arm while vacuuming but she shakes uncontrollably with fear :( Does anybody have any tips on how to desensitise her to the vacuum?

I have an older powderpuff too, he is 1 year 4 months and he has never had any issues with the vacuum although he was 4 months old before I brought him home so a bit older.

Thanks,

Rhiannon

hmmmm how attached are you to the cat? hehe joking

I think small steps are the go.

Its all about making the situation relate to good things - vaccuum = treats.

Get the pooch to come closer to the cleaner progressivly for reward (switched off at first) then repeat with it turned on once she is comfortable taking a treat off of it.

I think a little bit closer each day would be best, slowly but surely.

Maybe someone here has been through the exact same thing and has another way to help?

Leave it out too - let her sniff it when it's just sitting there.

But don't be too concerned - mine just leaves the room I'm doing & I try to not "chase" him with it - if he goes up the hall I do the front half of the house first - but all in all - I leave him alone and he usually goes outside when I do it. That said - he's not overly concerned with it - he stayed on the couch while we moved the couch the other day - and only left after I turned the vac on and he realised I was vacuuming behind it.

I would remove her from the room when you vacuum. She will get better as she gets older with it, but for now keep her away, don't stress her. My dog now just removes himself from the room when I'm vacuuming.

Thanks guys.

Next time I'll just start vacuuming in a different room and let her move away herself. I just didn't want to create a fear of it while she's still young :)

Good thinking.

I had one dog who used to attack the head of the vacuum and others who were terrified and everything else in between. All reactions are normal for that particular dog. We just need to understand that and act accordingly for the benefit of the dog.

Let us know how you go.

Where are the photographs? An 8 week old darling called Pollyanna and you don’t post pictures :eek: :eek: Shame on you :laugh: :laugh:

You can break it down in to tiny steps...

vacuum cleaner - switched off - not moving, treats for not being scared (but not for sniffing it - cos you don't really want that)

vacuum cleaner - switched off and mock vacuuming. Also treats for hanging round and being comfortable.

Vaccuum cleaner - not moving - but switched on. Treats over here... ie it's a good thing and this is your safe spot during vacuuming (eg a nice soft sided covered up crate)

Vacuum cleaner - switched on - move a bit, stop if dog looks uncomfortable and wait... move again when comfy. I had a variation of this. Vacuum on and moving if dog shows interest in sucker bit - stop moving and wait for dog to back off.... then move again...

Meanwhile - put dog somewhere else - another room while vacuuming or use a flat static mop (for hard surfaces) and a rubber broom for carpet.

I did what Mrs RB suggested with a new puppy and she is so blasé about the vacuum cleaner now I have to either move her out the way of it, or I can vacuum her (which is a great way of clearing up the source of hair) lol.