Favorite Puppy Purchases

swain

Trying to get organised for our new arrival in a few weeks. Whats everyones favorite item bought, made or given for your new pup? Anything you couldn't live without or wish you had?

:thumbsup: getting excited, trying to fill in time :thumbsup:

Hmmm..

I guess my all time favourite thing when I have had pups was one particular ball toy!! I first bought it way back in around 1984 ...and it was a favourite for 3 pups after that! It's still going ..is under the couch, I think ;) It was originally for human babies - pink in colour, with raised letters of the alphabet on it ..and a squeak.

Have a read here

, too - this kind of information is priceless! happy waiting :)

Depends on the breed but we tell our puppy buyers to keep it simple & safe because you have plenty of time to buy things .

Although my biggest pet hate is the lead & collars some buy ,whilst many want it to look awesome most are not practical for the dog so think of the dogs comfort first ,bedding should be very washable .

I would say most people waste to much money when they bring a pup home

Depends on the breed but we tell our puppy buyers to keep it simple & safe because you have plenty of time to buy things .

Although my biggest pet hate is the lead & collars some buy ,whilst many want it to look awesome most are not practical for the dog so think of the dogs comfort first ,bedding should be very washable .

I would say most people waste to much money when they bring a pup home

Yep...that's me. I'm a terrible accesoriser (if that's even a word!!).... we are getting a german spitz so as far as collar and lead i'm thinking light nylon type?? Though a great big thick leather studded collar would be awesome :rofl: i will control myself though :D

What about bedding in crate? Is soft squishy ok or better off with more of a matt type? Been at least 11 years since we had a pup and i did nothing right that time so want to make better choices.

Im pre puppy shopping at the moment (pups not even conceived yet haha).

We have Crate (given to us) a mat to fit it from the cheap shop, Ill be grabbing a few more in case its a chewer.

Bowls

Car seat cover (as we have leather seats)

Few odd toys my son has picked

Brush

I have found a lead and collar set I like for dog training but Ill wait until its a bit closer.

We have a water bowl from our previous dog but she was old so Im thinking Ill need another heavy set one for outside.

I also want a treat pouch for training but thats not really a dog accessory lol.

Im pre puppy shopping at the moment (pups not even conceived yet haha).

We have Crate (given to us) a mat to fit it from the cheap shop, Ill be grabbing a few more in case its a chewer.

Bowls

Car seat cover (as we have leather seats)

Few odd toys my son has picked

Brush

I have found a lead and collar set I like for dog training but Ill wait until its a bit closer.

We have a water bowl from our previous dog but she was old so Im thinking Ill need another heavy set one for outside.

I also want a treat pouch for training but thats not really a dog accessory lol.

Thanks Eza! Car seat cover is a good idea.. we have leather too. Exciting isn't it....I'm getting my pup 9th march. Very excited. Hope your wait goes quickly!

A must have for me with a puppy is some appropriate chew toys, so when my puppy inevitebly decides to chew something I don't want chewed I can redirect to a chew toy. I usually use nylabone or hard rubber kong type things.

A great (safe) area for pup to spend the day when I was at work was fantastic. Climb/escape proof and large enough if possible for running and playing and with plenty of things to do.

I had one down the side of the house then half way under out verandah. I had a tub with sand for digging, a tub full of balls which I would drop her food in to, things to climb on and through, a tarp, a soft tug hanging from the clothes line, a flat tub with water that she could step in and out of, a crate out of the weather etc

When she had her alone time (I could see her from the house) she often went nuts on everything. Pull the tug, run through the balls, bounce off the side of the tunnel, dig in the sand then collapse and sleep in the sand lol

A must have for me with a puppy is some appropriate chew toys, so when my puppy inevitebly decides to chew something I don't want chewed I can redirect to a chew toy. I usually use nylabone or hard rubber kong type things.

Great idea! Will get some of these :thumbsup:

A great (safe) area for pup to spend the day when I was at work was fantastic. Climb/escape proof and large enough if possible for running and playing and with plenty of things to do.

I had one down the side of the house then half way under out verandah. I had a tub with sand for digging, a tub full of balls which I would drop her food in to, things to climb on and through, a tarp, a soft tug hanging from the clothes line, a flat tub with water that she could step in and out of, a crate out of the weather etc

When she had her alone time (I could see her from the house) she often went nuts on everything. Pull the tug, run through the balls, bounce off the side of the tunnel, dig in the sand then collapse and sleep in the sand lol

This sounds awesome!Going to do this with the space we have. Thank you :thumbsup:

Hehe, I'm pre-puppy shopping as well. On the list is:

Crash-tested pet carrier for the car - she is little!

A long line

Light leash about 2m long

Bowl

Puppy play pen

I will grab a harness for her when she arrives as not sure what she will fit into at this point

I am adamant I am buying a little backpack to pop her into. I've never had a dog small enough to carry in a backpack before, so dammit, she's going to learn this is fun!

Preventative meds for teensy dog (heartworm, worming, fleas, ticks)

Already have a crate, baby gates, Kongs, and other activity feeders and toys and bedding and grooming stuff. She is an older puppy and will be about 6 months when she comes home in a month or so.

Edited by corvus

Hehe, I'm pre-puppy shopping as well. On the list is:

Crash-tested pet carrier for the car - she is little!

A long line

Light leash about 2m long

Bowl

Puppy play pen

I will grab a harness for her when she arrives as not sure what she will fit into at this point

I am adamant I am buying a little backpack to pop her into. I've never had a dog small enough to carry in a backpack before, so dammit, she's going to learn this is fun!

Preventative meds for teensy dog (heartworm, worming, fleas, ticks)

Already have a crate, baby gates, Kongs, and other activity feeders and toys and bedding and grooming stuff. She is an older puppy and will be about 6 months when she comes home in a month or so.

Eeekkkk....exciting! Will be adding some of those things to my list!

Ohhhhh Corvus, what are you getting?

A Podengo. :D She is a full sister of Ping. I am so ridiculously excited. I have been waiting so patiently since she was born, and I'm not sure how I'm not already dead of suppressed excitement.