My Puppy Ate A Nyla Bone !

Dewclaws

Help .

I ordered a pack of three ' puppy ones ' and my youngest daughter gave my 14 wk old lab puppy the whole three this morning after they arrived in the mail without my knowledge .

Being indestructible ( so I thought) I didint think much of it even though I would have preferred to give him one at a time .

I noticed he had something in his mouth a little while ago . It was a tiny bit of the end of one ! I presume the rest is eaten !

He is fine at the moment but now scared of a blockage !

How can they sell these horrible things if they break up so easy . My pup still has all his puppy teeth, surely they should be strong enough to survive puppy teeth!

Now I am going to be watching like a hawk in case he gets ill. Aaaarrgggghhh.

Hopefully he swallowed it in small bits .

This happen to anyone else ?

I took my puppy quite a few times to the vet for the "vomit" treatment to get stuff she should not have eaten back again.

You've got about two hours... and it helps if there aren't sharp barbs or edges. But we got away with getting cooked chicken bones back.

Otherwise I'd be thinking the nylabone we had - not a puppy one but a big one, and not destroyed by a cattle dog but also not left alone with it - if it's like that - then swallowing three would be akin to swallowing three or four plastic stirring spoons. The heavy duty ones.

I would definitely be going to the vet on this.

Ok I think I can stop panicking..

This the pack I bought .

http://www.nylabone.com/product-finder/my-pet-is/dog-puppy/puppy-starter-kit.htm

As I said my daughter gave pup the three without me actually having a good look at the packet . I have found two in the yard . The third that I found the little end bit , the rest eaten was the EDIBLE bacon bone .

I am still going to keep a close eye on him . So annoyed that my daughter opened up a pack a gave the bones when the package was adressed to me . She never normally opens my mail! But because their was nyla hone advertising in the front she immediately thought 'dog toys ' .

He he has really amped up the chewing recently , why I bought the nyla bones to begin with . I am sure he really teething now and will be losing puppy teeth .

Wants to chew the world !

Has anyone used shed antlers? Are they a blockage risk?

Antlers are good but if you want them to really last, avoid getting palm pieces (my Shitty Whippet can get through those in about 20 minutes :eek: ) and avoid the more weathered ones. Weathered is fine if you don't need them to last forever but once they've sat outside for a few seasons, the sun, wind and rain will slowly leech minerals out, resulting in a softer antler.

Another thing to consider is cow hooves. Less popular with my dogs than the antlers but heaps cheaper and they require a bit of effort to hang onto while chewing because of the irregular shape.

I got an antler c/o bull terrier who didn't want it...

They're very durable, my dog got bored of chewing on it. But I also worry they're so hard - ie if the thing is harder than dog teeth - the dog teeth get worn down (and broken) not the antler.

We're much more fond of cow hooves. But I take them away when they get towards small enough to swallow.

I also stuff dog food into kongs and freeze. Mostly the casserole I make but sometimes kibble and water or kibble and yogurt. Black kongs. The red ones don't last very long.

Beware of any toy the dog can poke a tongue into and make a seal, they get a sort of bruise or hicky on the tongue and it swells up and they can't get the tongue out and it all goes to hell. (vet visit).

We also used green bits of gum tree - supervised chewing. No idea why she liked those. But generally fond of fresh tree prunings and as long as they're fresh - they don't splinter so much.

We also had a lot of rope toys. I'm pretty sure they worked great as teeth pullers for getting baby teeth out and depositing them where I walk in bare feet.