What Would You Put In A Pet Supplies Shop?

Sagittarian

I loathe the big chain pet stores.

Their stock tends to be limited ranges of cheap collars and leads, over priced treats and toys and, in my experience, limited staff knowledge. Any worming products will be expensive, limited in range and poorly advised on for the post part.

Walk into any of these shops and try to buy a limited slip or martingale collar that isn't a Rogz chain one and my bet is you'll fail. Ditto for a decent crate, a stainless steel feeding bowl or a quality brush.

This will put me out of step with many dog owners but am not in the slightest bit interested in taking my dog to the pet shop for an enrichment experience. If dogs are allowed, its a high risk are for transmission of disease and inevitably (God knows why this is) there will be dogs marking the stock. I think it is particularly risky to provide communal water bowls as the chain stores do.

I appreciate that some things (especially coats and harnesses) need to be fitted to dogs so a fitting area would be a good idea but I don't want to be fending off dogs out for a visit when I shop.

What gets me going back is quality products (things like Durapet bowls and Blackdog collars which the big chains don't stock), and a good range of grooming products.

The niche for any non chain pet store for me is staff with knowledge and a range of quality products in areas like grooming, collars and leads and coats and accessories. Top quality dog food too. Those are things I buy regularly.

Thank God we have one or two of those shops in the region. People travel a long way to get there and the serious dog nuts like me spend up.

I think a shop like that would offer a real alternative to online shopping. I do prefer to see before I buy.

The only thing I can suggest to add is an education/seminar area so that you can advertise little seminars (like Bunnings do) to help dog owners care for their dogs. Even learning how to properly brush a dog, trim nails and give tablets is useful. I'm sure the dog sports folk would line up to give quick talks and show videos on Saturdays. So an area that provides education would be my pick. Rescues could set up there too.

I agree with you .... I don't like the idea of dogs using communal water bowls or going into shops, I'm always conscious of cross contamination.

I like to support a pet store that doesn't sell animals, that stocks a good range of NZ or Aussie made stuff, has a wide range of premium pet food for all species (finding decent rabbit food is SO hard and I've never met a pet store employee that knows anything about appropriate food for bunnies), sells toys suitable for use in sports/agility and if they sell quality dog gear that can be hard to get here that's a bonus (like hurrtaand ruffwear). A few pet stores here stock collars from small local collar makers that do a limited run of different ribbons so you can get some really unique collars

Its a bit novel & different but wouldn't cost much to set up & may start a new trend.

You could try it on a very small scale to trial.

What about an area with some dog clothes & a photograph booth type thing with some fabric backgrounds, like childrens pixie photos ?

People may only have photos taken at xmas, easter, dogs birthdays & on odd occasions but it will help sell the dog clothes & you will charge for the photos.

You could have sensible dog coats & the silly, pretty ones plus themes for easter, xmas ect.

People spend a fortune on dog clothes in the USA & trends there reach here eventually.

ETA you could do other animals too like rabbits for easter.

Edited by Christina

I had one more idea.

You could have an area that features Aussie made products - Blackdog, the Aussie foods, Animal House shampoos etc.

A lot of people do like to buy Australian so that might be a bit of a winner. Good for promotions too.

I think that could be a very good idea. People love to buy Australian.

I'd say include New Zealand in that, given the quality of foods like K9 Natural and Ziwipeak, and Black Hawk are technically Aussie Made/New Zealand owned...

Things I find difficult to get in pet shops...

Roo jerkey that takes a little while to chew, and is broad and flat, not thin and spikey.

Roo ribbons - flat straps of roo that can be broken or cut up for treats.

Soft healthy treats (no salt and no bone bits) for training that don't make a mess in my hand. Cheese is good but I'd like some other stuff. sausage and roast beef is a little bit messy.

I tend to buy in kilo packs. Sometimes I can get 200gm but it's not worth the trip.

Really durable toys like the black kongs - the red ones are a complete waste of shelf space as far as we're concerned.

Some tug and throw training toys that are fairly durable. Bungee tugs, with fake fur, soft frisbees that can be folded up and hidden in the hand, orbee balls on string...

These things are available on line for import but they're not many in local pet supply shops. It's easy to get a three second of joy rip to pieces toy but harder to get the really good stuff made out of seatbelt webbing, heavy duty bungy and rabbit or fake fur.

Something I've never seen in pet shops near me are the Planet Dog orbee balls. Those balls are amazing. They have raised continents on them which makes them bounce every which way which is lots of fun for the dog. They can fling it around and play fetch by themselves! They have some other cool toys too, but the orbee has got to be the best.

Orbee http://www.planetdog.com/orbee-tuff-orbee-ball

My dogs loved orbee balls! Definitely those hard to come by toys I would have loved to be able to check out in person.

Puzzle toys I was never able to find stocked locally either and I would have loved to see more of them around.

The pet cafe is an awesome idea .. even a little meet up dog catch up kind of area would be quite cool and fun for pet owners I think. Good luck with sorting out your new space, your shop already sounds amazing as is! :)

My dogs loved orbee balls! Definitely those hard to come by toys I would have loved to be able to check out in person.

Puzzle toys I was never able to find stocked locally either and I would have loved to see more of them around.

I'd love to be able to try out the puzzle toys before purchase. I haven't bought any because they can be a lot to spend on a toy that my dog may have no interest in using.

Some different collars and leads other than the generic ones that petstock and petbarn carry. Toys, beds that aren't easily available here.

Love the fact that you have an extensive range of Rogues collars and leads, especially the martingales. They are so hard to find, but brilliant for bigger dogs.