Dog Emergencies - How Prepared Are You

Tilly

I have just come across a website for a Dog First Aid course in Queensland ... and have decided to book myself in.

I have a number of first aid kits and have had First Aid Training (for humans) for a good 15 to 20 years … and some basic common sense ... so I thought I would be ok when something serious happened to any of our dogs ... after all we are in Brisbane and there is Emergencies Vets not too far away.

A number of years ago one of our dogs sliced an artery in his leg overnight and I found him the next morning laying in a pool of blood but thankfully still alive. It was at that point I realised that while I had first aid supplies, I didn't really have enough to deal with that particular emergency (I used up all my dressings and bandages that morning).

I then went about setting up each of the dogs a first aid kit based on a number of possible emergencies (hit by car, stabbing - our dogs are security dogs, snake bite, cut feet, dog bite / attack etc) ... but over time I have become lax and have not maintained the kits. Stuff had expired or been used but not replaced.

A little while ago, on a Sunday morning of course, our dog injured himself - not one but all four feet were badly cut up and again I found myself again unprepared to properly treat his injuries (I had bandages and dressings but no saline to flush the wounds and the dressings had deteriorated etc).

It got me wondering ... how do you think you would go in a true emergency?

I am a vet nurse, so i would be perfectly fine to stabilise the dog to get to the nearest vet- but couldn't do anything beyond that- not that its needed beyond that really :)

I keep both a dog and human kit in my car.

Eta: thankfully have had to use neither!

Edited by denali

Who is the course with Tilly? Could you add a link please? It's something I'd like to do too. Not prepared for much here either.

The website is http://www.dogfirstaid.com.au/courses.html ... the courses are 5hrs long and are run at 51 Wellington Street, Virginia and also Bankstown, NSW. They have a Facebook page as well - which I how I came across them. I have booked into the session on 2nd April.

Edited by Tilly

Who is the course with Tilly? Could you add a link please? It's something I'd like to do too. Not prepared for much here either.

The website is http://www.dogfirstaid.com.au/courses.html ... the courses are 5hrs long and are run at 51 Wellington Street, Virginia and also Bankstown, NSW. They have a Facebook page as well - which I how I came across them. I have booked into the session on 2nd April.

Thank you and will you please post in here and let us know how the course was?