Fish Oil

kamuzz

One of my dogs is showing the early signs of arthritis. The vet has suggested adding fish oil to his food. (He already gets a "joint" powder.)

What are the dosage guidelines for fish oils? He weighs around 30 kg and the vet was muttering about 1500 "something" of the active ingredient, I think.

Any brand recommendations?

Interesting link Boronia, but that product may be more suitable for smaller dogs? A 30kg dog would need 21 pumps per day, that's 10.5ml, so a bottle would only last 19 days. I don't know how much it costs but I think that it would be an expensive way to supplement fish oil. I also think that despite their claims this could cause gastric upsets in dogs that do not tolerate oils.

I give my guys one of these capsules every other day

http://www.xtend-life.com/supplements/omega-3/omega-3-dha-fish-oil

They also get two green lipped muscle capsules daily

http://www.xtend-life.com/supplements/specialty-products/green-lipped-mussel-powder

They are both 11 years old, although typically the Kelpie is 11 years young!

You need to check this, but my holistic vet said that it's important to give Vitamin E as well when you're using fid oil. Some fish oil capsules do have Vitamin E included. Not sure of the proportions.

Yes, some dogs have been made very ill by high dose of fish oil without Vit E.....my dogs range 16 - 21 kg and they each get one 1000 mg capsule a day, plus Omega 3 6 9 and oily fish once or twice a week

• 2 weeks later...

My 11yo staffy x girl has started showing the first signs of back end arthritis. She has thinned in a bit and after a day of being an idiot we find she struggles with her left hip especially. I have ordered some Joint Guard and some liquid Omega 3,6,9 from Natural Animal Solutiions which has added Vitamin E. Should I also give her some fish oil? If yes do I also need to give more Vitamin E? What about vitamin C? The vet only gave a dose of painkillers last time and I would like to manage it rather than give her medication every time she decides to be a goose when we are not around (usually she fence runs if she hears a lawn mower and generally carries on like a not so 11 year old).

Sasha's blend is good for arthritis, I have looked after a dog almost crippled with it, his vet advised owner to use Sasha's blend, took about a month to notice the improvement, he was on it until the day he passed away at the age of 15 years and never had any signs of problems.

My son has a rescue Rotti, has had her for about four years, she was crippled with joint pain, told him about the blend, Maya has been on it for three years now and doing well.

Sasha's blend is good for arthritis, I have looked after a dog almost crippled with it, his vet advised owner to use Sasha's blend, took about a month to notice the improvement, he was on it until the day he passed away at the age of 15 years and never had any signs of problems.

My son has a rescue Rotti, has had her for about four years, she was crippled with joint pain, told him about the blend, Maya has been on it for three years now and doing well.

Thanks Mjosa

I did a bit of reading up because I was going to buy the Sasha's blend but a lot of reviews said it was pretty hit and miss which is why I went with the Joint Guard. I will see how she goes with the JG and if it's not working I will buy some Sasha's blend. Thanks.

SarasMum, I would introduce supplements one at a time - so that you know what is helping. It is very much trial and error. What works in one individual may not have the same effect in another. Rose hip Vital is one example, some dogs do very well on it and show much improvement while others seem to get no benefit at all.

I found this information regarding dosing

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/small-animal/sports-medicine-rehabilitation/Pages/fish-oil-dosing-chart.aspx

On the same site there is a useful article about prevention and management of arthritis, including the fact that it is the EPA component of fish oil which is most beneficial to dogs, in contrast to humans (and horses).

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/small-animal/sports-medicine-rehabilitation/Pages/arthritis-management-and-prevention.aspx

Edited by trifecta