What Danes Now Look Like In Europe

raineth

https://greatdanegnosis.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/no-good-deed-goes-unpunished/

You might find the langauge in the article a bit off-putting, but it's well worth looking at just for the photos.

This is what many Danes in Europe now look like. I think we should all be concerned. Not just for the dogs in question, but because this sort of thing could happen to any breed really. Although the breeds that no longer perform a function are presumably more at risk.

The photo shows a Dane in 1980s compared to a contemporary "Euro Dane". Actually the dog in that photo isn't even close to the most extreme example I've seen. A quick google image search of "Euro Dane" can show the extent of the problem.

post-30376-0-46137700-1456356131_thumb.jpg

I've been wanting to ask about Danes in the show ring actually. I've been watching a few being stacked and the handlers grab the ears and hold them (almost looks like pulling) upright -- I'm assuming this is to mimic the cropped look. Does anyone here know why this is? Natural ears are folded down aren't they so shouldn't they be shown in their natural way, not pulled upright?

The photo on the right looks nothing like a Dane to me and if this is the new Euro standard, then I feel bad for the breed. Danes are a breed I've always admired and the photo on the left is what I've always pictured a Dane to look like; gorgeous, well-muscled but not too heavy-set dogs (just without the cropped ears!).

Dear God what do they think they are doing to such a majestic breed? :mad

I usually have Danes behind me in a group line up and I have noticed over the years, except for one breeder here, they are losing their elegance.

I think it is up to the judges not to promote this Euro type in the ring but continue to put up the elegant ones, nothing lovelier than to see a Dane glide around the ring, if they have the courage to keep putting down the Euro then maybe the breeders will stop ruining a beautiful breed.

I've been wanting to ask about Danes in the show ring actually. I've been watching a few being stacked and the handlers grab the ears and hold them (almost looks like pulling) upright -- I'm assuming this is to mimic the cropped look. Does anyone here know why this is? Natural ears are folded down aren't they so shouldn't they be shown in their natural way, not pulled upright?

Mainly cause the judge wants them shown with ears up. But they are only held up on the stack, judge gets plenty of time to see them in their natural way and some judges do say not to put the ears up.

It's absolutely disgusting.

Raineth obviously you know with Del, she's a fairly moderate dane, she's a rescue so you don't know her breeding, but she's rather small, she's not over done at all, but even she's had issues with her lips. These dogs would have so many issues icon_smile_mad.gif

Edited by LisaCC

It's absolutely disgusting.

Raineth obviously you know with Del, she's a fairly moderate dane, she's a rescue so you don't know her breeding, but she's rather small, she's not over done at all, but even she's had issues with her lips. These dogs would have so many issues icon_smile_mad.gif

Yes, I think Del's moderation is a big part of why she is so full of vitality. At 7 years of age she still gets mistaken for a puppy!

She still has very droopy eyes unfortunately, and her lip problem as you mention. But it's a sad state of affairs when my back yard bred dog turns out to be a far superior example of her breed than these pedigree dogs :(

I don't know how the breeders can look at them and think it is a good direction for the breed to go in!

Obviously the judges don't know what they should be looking for... although it really comes down to they can only judge what is put in front of them.... and judges don't have the balls to with hold

Exactly, the judges are just too scared to not award a CC or their friend has a dog looking like these Euro types, you know you scratch my back and I will scratch yours, to hell with the standard. Even if a dog was getting around on three legs and believe me I have seen it over the years they will put it up if they know that their turn is coming to be put up.

Then controlling state bodies wonder why their show entries are going down, the above may I suggest is one of the reasons.

The only judges I have seen, but it has not happened often, are the International judges usually selected for the Royals that refuse CCs good on them.

I once saw a judge with a class of dogs, not my breed, and he refused to place any of them, now get that for courage. This was an Adelaide Royal.

Wow what a disgrace looks like a badly bred dog from a byb. It's back legs look like they have either patella or hip problems or both, and there is no words to describe those huge jowels.

I thought the exact same thing about the rear assembly, and i am still a newbie to canine structure. It just looks so wrong to me!

Good article. Thank you.

THIS is what the rule against K.C members breeding outside K.C protocols does to breeds, eventualy.

What is the purpose to be found in these dogs?

K.Cs, please Change that rule to SAVE my breeds, and allow us all purpose in keeping them.

Edited by moosmum