Is My Puppy Too Small?

Morgan brand

I own a 10 week old maremma female puppy, She has been vaccintaed, vet checked, wormed and I also take her to puppy pre school. This is my first ever maremma so i am unsure wat size they should be at this age. She was around 6kg whe I got her, she is now 8kg ad I have just been told by other maremma owners that she should at least be 10kg by this age.She eats plenty shes a very healthy pup. If she is that small or underweight for her age why hasnt the vet mentioned anything? They seem to be happy with her size etc. We take her to the vet every week for puppy pre school and she seems fine to me. She does tower over all the other puppies and she is the youngest there but ow i'm concerned that she is underweight or not healthy for her age.

Any help would be great

No I didn't choose her she was the last pup left of the litter, I don't think she was the runt though.But in my experience with dogs sometimes the runts can turn out to be the biggest dog when they grow up!

she is healthy, the vet hasnt mentioned anything to me about her weight and she is consistently putting on weight each week. Im just concerned because another maremma owner who has experience with them said she should be at least 10kg by now.

I would think 6 kg at 8 weeks is fairly small Maremma so her weight at 10 weeks will be based more so on that .

Where her parents small??

She may simply be a small lighter framed Maremma but ideally a breeder would mention that the puppy was at this stage a smaller framed one or a big boofer .

Without knowing the sizes of the other pups its hard to say & one can only presume that there diet was good with the breeder & all is fine.

Yes some liitle ones can grow to full size & others don't

Her parents weren't built huge, they were very big dogs but more of a tall and lanky build! Yeah im pretty sure she was around 6.5kg when i got her from memory. To be me she looks big but ive never had a giant breed before, ive only had medium sized dogs sharpei, bordercollies, kelpies etc

what do you want her for? I'm sure as a guarding dog she'll still be able to defend your flock from foxes.

The puppies probably still had their navy blue puppy coloured eyes. They will change as they mature.

Edited by Kirislin

Guest crazydoglady99

Dear Morgan - I am insanely jealous. I luuurrrve Maremmas - but I have neither a flock or a rural property waaaa :(

I was going to write you a big long spiel about how I compared the weight of my newest small human to her siblings at the same age - and shock horror she is the smallest. But then I saw you posted some lovely pics- so my tiny humans seem irrelevant!!

I'm sure as long as your gorgeous girl is gaining weight, eating well, and active - she is perfectly healthy. And very cute!!

How is your boy getting along with her?

More pics please!!! :)

She definitely is gaining weight and a very happy pup!

we live semi rural so we live on about 1 acre of land and have been shamed by many because apparently they shouldn't be companion animals and they should have jobs to do etc. But I have done plenty of research and she is the best puppy (despite staining my carpet with her wee).

My sharpei boy is amazing with her! Sharpei are meant to be mean aggressive dogs with humans and other pets but he is the most gentle dog with her, she rips and tears at his skin on his face and he just takes it and lets her be a puppy. We have only had her for over 2 weeks and they are bestest friends. Ill upload some photos!

post-54387-0-05586200-1456443371_thumb.jpg

post-54387-0-98489000-1456443380_thumb.jpg

post-54387-0-84304300-1456443391_thumb.jpg

It is isnt it, he is so gentle when she yanks, pulls and bites at him and it looks painful she has quite sharp teeth! She is such a beautiful little girl and my boy loves her and loves having another dog to play with. He used to have 3 other dogs to play with until my partner and I moved out of home and his been a bit lonely since then. He has never looked happier before

Hey!! My I had the same concerns with my rottweiler, he was the smallest of the litter, and now at 2 years he is still small for a rotti. On the rotti FB groups everyone raves about their dogs weight and mine is such a little feather compared to those huge dogs. I don't care anymore and no longer worry. He is the best dog with the best nature. He is healthy, happy and perfection in a smaller package. Size does not matter :)

She definitely is gaining weight and a very happy pup!

we live semi rural so we live on about 1 acre of land and have been shamed by many because apparently they shouldn't be companion animals and they should have jobs to do etc. But I have done plenty of research and she is the best puppy (despite staining my carpet with her wee).

My sharpei boy is amazing with her! Sharpei are meant to be mean aggressive dogs with humans and other pets but he is the most gentle dog with her, she rips and tears at his skin on his face and he just takes it and lets her be a puppy. We have only had her for over 2 weeks and they are bestest friends. Ill upload some photos!

post-54387-0-05586200-1456443371_thumb.jpg

post-54387-0-98489000-1456443380_thumb.jpg

post-54387-0-84304300-1456443391_thumb.jpg

Shar pei are not meant to be mean aggressive dogs with humans & other pets!!