Behavior Post Desexing Procedure

jars

Hi All,

I just had my femal Std Schnauzer desexed. Procedure went well and she is now on pain killers until tomorrow.

Apart from the fact that she hates the cone, she is not herself. She seems very jumpy and hyper. From time to time she will just run and then sit down and not move for a long time. She is even hesitant to come when I am feeding her.

Has anyone else had their dogs do this post surgery? I wonder if it's just the discomfort from the stitches or a reaction to the pain killer.

Thanks

Take the cone off her while you can watch her. Stitches may be pulling a little. If suture line is clean and dry I would just keep an eye on her. I had a cat that walked sideways for 12 hours trying to escape the stitches. Plus she may not be feeling right because the anesthetic has not yet totally left her system

It could be the painkiller. My standard schnauzer had a similar reaction to Tramadol. It affected his balance (and his vision I think).

He was very jumpy and hyper but reluctant to move.

Having said that, the cone of shame, by itself can have a similar result because it obscures the dog's vision.

If you can watch her, you can take the cone off. Put it back on when you can't watch her (and don't forget to put it back on!)

Ours never wear the cone & tramadal is a high dose pain killer not even our vet uses that for spay .

Also alot depends how much area they clipped with the surgical blade ,many get clipper happy & that annoys & irritates the dog more than anything else .

Neraly 25 yrs & getting a number of dogs spayed & never a cone & no issues but we use great vets

Thanks for the responses. I think the stitches are pulling. The drug she is on is Caprive/Carpofen. She is jumpy but reluctant to move. Just one more day of medication so I will see how she is after that.

It could be what the others have mentioned. But it also could be a sudden drop of progesterone - this is more likely in the event that she was desexed following ovulation.

If this was to be the case, keep her in a calm environment and don't push her threshold levels, as nervous behaviours (which can exacerbate to aggressive behaviours) may become learned behaviour.