Submissive Peeing And Increase In Anxiety

kami

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some shelter temperament tests are quite tough, and an anxious working breed is not likely to pass one of the tough ones. I don't think mine would pass the most strict ones, and mine aren't anxious or aggressive.

Your disclosure about her behaviour is also important. They may take into account that you are concerned she will snap at a child and not give her a chance. And yes shelters do get sued. But even so I have seen my fair share of dogs that have gone to "homes with no children and/or no dogs" and the problems abound - because there are kids that visit (friends, grandchildren) or the new owner is determined they can cure the dog of their fears/phobias. The shelter environment is very stressful - some dogs escalate their behaviour and others shut down and don't show their true colours. Temp tests aren't much chop to be honest but it's all we have and staff do the best they can. My post is not about your dog specifically but how some shelters work.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Everyone have their fingers x for Annie. Its a long shot, but there is a remote shot an amazing home may come up for her. A retired gentle vet on acreage. He offered to take her before, when we first got her, his colleague will contact him to see if there is any chance he would take her now. I daren't hope too much for fear of it not coming true.

Everyone have their fingers x for Annie. Its a long shot, but there is a remote shot an amazing home may come up for her. A retired gentle vet on acreage. He offered to take her before, when we first got her, his colleague will contact him to see if there is any chance he would take her now. I daren't hope too much for fear of it not coming true.

crossfingers.gif

if this doesn't work out, I really think you should consider the euthanasia option.

It will be a tough call but trust me, there are worse fates for a dog.

An anxious dog, bounced from home to foster care to kennels to home? Her behaviour will worsen.

Do right by the dog and give yourself the certainly that you know she got her wings in the company of someone she knew. I think its a crying shame that she's been displaced but do understand the 'why' of your thinking.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Guest crazydoglady99

Yep I agree with HW.

Fingers crossed for Annie, this is such a sad situation. I hope it works out for everyone.

Guest crazydoglady99

I'm probably not the only one that keeps checking this thread.. hoping for good news..

Well, final decision made.

We returned Rusty to the shelter we got him from this afternoon - along with a crate, his expensive bed, a truckload of toys, two dog calming collars, and quite a few other bits and bobs. We both shed many tears (though husband will deny this). We will miss his happy wagging tail, just happy exploring everyday, and overjoyed to see us. And we have learnt invaluable lessons about 'how to choose a dog' for the day in the very distant future when Annie crosses the rainbow bridge.

What happened?

We got Annie all packed up this morning and took her down to pearcedale RSPCA. One of the wonderful team at RSPCA Burwood had arranged for us to speak to their head of the behavioural department about rehoming Annie, but also, about our reason for rehoming Annie.

Huw and I agreed that if they felt Annie would be ok around Alex, that we would keep Annie. They assured us they weren't concerned about her around Alex - or rather, that they were, but only in the context of a second dog and food.

So, at that point we realised we had the decision we could live with. Annie is home with us, and we are working on doing lots of positive reinforcement around Alex with Annie so hopefully she will come to love him as much as we do.

This was a very hard decision for both of us, but we are relieved the tension and stress of two dogs living together that don't get along has passed. Annie has confirmed she has learnt a trick or two from Rusty by raiding the bin (only a banana skin, thankfully) when Huw wasnt looking.

She is now curled up asleep in her crate, door open, having reconciled herself to the fact that willing me to give her treats by staring at me isn't going to work all the time.

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh Kamz..

I am so pleased to hear you've decided to keep Annie. Rusty will find a super home in no time.

Please keep us updated with how you all are getting on.

All the best :)

Edit to say - you'll be surprised how relaxed you all feel once the sadness lifts.

Edited by crazydoglady99

Thanks guys. We know it is the right decision, but didn't know til today when we saw another behaviouralist with Annie and baby Alex, and no Rusty.

It was awful with Rusty because he somehow just knew, even before we got into the car he was shaking. Broke our hearts to be honest. We gave him heaps of treats for drops and simple obedience stuff ect when he got there to try and get that poor tail up in the air and wagging again.

Thankfully he knew the staff (the perks of being rehomed for the third time :( ) and was actually happy to see the adoption staff.

:(

Goodbye Rusty. When we find another dog in the distant future, we will look for a dog with a temperment just like yours. Probably a naughty beagle too :)

• 2 weeks later...