No Licences For Nsw Breeders

Steve

My link

NSW Government baulks at puppy farm licensing scheme, against advice

By state political reporter Sarah GerathyUpdated yesterday at 11:02am

Animal welfare groups say they are disappointed the NSW Government has shied away from implementing key recommendations from an inquiry into the mistreatment of animals at puppy factories.

Key points:

• Inquiry into NSW puppy farms received 300 submissions
  • Among them were that dogs cannibalised each other at farms
  • Instead of licensing scheme, Government opts for review of regulations and microchipping register

The inquiry, which received more than 300 submissions, heard horrific allegations of neglect and abuse of animals at puppy farms, including accounts of hungry dogs cannibalising other animals and pups only being fed roadkill

The inquiry recommended the Government set up a stand-alone licensing scheme that would require all breeders to register and include a licence number with the sale of each animal.

Instead Primary Industries Minister Niall Blair announced the Government would conduct a review of the way the industry was regulated and ensure breeders were identified on the NSW Companion Animals microchipping register.

"We know there's many breeders out there that are doing the right thing," Mr Blair said.

"We believe that enhancing and working on the existing system will not only try and stamp out those that are doing the wrong thing, but won't put that extra burden on the many breeders out there who are doing the right thing and following the rules."

He said the Government would also review whether prosecutions handed out to those who broke the law were adequate.

The Government will spend $200,000 on a targeted compliance and education operation in relation to animal welfare standards in the pet breeding industry.

, Premier Mike Baird uploaded a series of photos of puppies playing on his desk.

"Today we announced that we will be reviewing penalties and enforcement measures to ensure that dodgy operators can be dealt with seriously and shut down where necessary," the statement reads.

"It is simply unacceptable for people to be treating puppies or other animals in a cruel manner in an attempt to make a quick buck. We need to act and we will."

Government response inadequate: Animal Justice MP

But animal rights activists were less pleased than the Premier with the Government's response.

Mark Pearson, an Animal Justice MP who was on the committee which conducted the inquiry, has slammed the Government's response.

"It's extremely disappointing and it's really going to come back to bite the Government because they haven't addressed the fundamental concerns as to why the whole inquiry occurred in the first place," Mr Pearson said.

"And that is because these puppy farms were operating and not being detected by regulatory authorities that are in place at the moment or by any that were recommended."

He said without stronger action the cruel treatment at puppy factories would continue.

"This issue is not going to go away," Mr Pearson said.

"It's going to eventually embarrass the Government again and I'd say we'll be having [an] inquiry investigating all this within two years."

The RSPCA's NSW chief executive Steven Coleman said the changes the Government was making were a step in the right direction, but they did not go far enough.

"It is frustrating, we have had review after review, our ultimate approach to this now is we've exhausted all review opportunities," Mr Coleman said.

"We've given the information that we saw fit from a practical and compliance perspective, now we just want to see some runs on the board."

Edited by Steve

We worked pretty hard to get our points across and show that it was not likely to stop any dog suffering - it feels good to have a win. I also note they threw out the idea of limits to numbers.

:thumbsup:

The work is an important point. A number of people I know wrote submissions, DogsNSW worked their butt off, and a friend and I went and visited our local member, and I know we were not the only ones.

Victoria bowed to the welfare groups and introduced the Domestic Animal Business Registration... has made no difference except making more work for council staff who don't bother (nor have the time) following up the existing laws .

Once again the breeders trainers and boarding kennels who do the right thing are just left filing out more paperwork and having to deal with the council officers who have little if ay understanding of the regulations. The frustration I have is seeing dog businesses (of varied types) freely operating in my council area and yet I believe I am the Only one who has completed the necessary forms under the DAB Registrations. Hence I don't see the benefit of other states following in Victoria misguided direction.

If anyone is interested the submissions for this enquiry are available here The MDBA one is number 214.

The PETA one is a crack up. Emotional rant. Desex everything. No more breeding.

Yep and no more dogs at all is the result.

At least other animal rights groups took the care to use facts in their submissions.

If anyone is interested the submissions for this enquiry are available here The MDBA one is number 214.

At least other animal rights groups took the care to use facts in their submissions.

Maybe - there were some that were kept secret and they were interviewed in camera. In other words they could say what they wanted.

Maybe - there were some that were kept secret and they were interviewed in camera. In other words they could say what they wanted.

Why?

Why?

Dunno - explanation wasn't given to us just that they had elected to keep what ever it was they had to say and use to press their point confidential and it was.

Final report - looks to me that they will be able to know where breeders are and how many dogs they own anyway - if breeders comply and if someone is tasked with enforcing it

My link

Unlikely if they are only investing $200,000 into the whole of NSW! :laugh: Or am I reading that wrong? It sounds next to pointless.

The Government will spend $200,000 on a targeted compliance and education operation in relation to animal welfare standards in the pet breeding industry.

Final report - looks to me that they will be able to know where breeders are and how many dogs they own anyway - if breeders comply and if someone is tasked with enforcing it

My link

Unlikely if they are only investing $200,000 into the whole of NSW! :laugh: Or am I reading that wrong? It sounds next to pointless.

Just a waste but keeps them sounding like its progress .I was in the vets office last week when she received a phone call from another breeder booking in a litter of puppies .She wanted to have them vaccinated only - no chips. So I listened while the vet tried to encourage her to go with chips .

The breeder told my vet that if it was something she didnt feel comfortable with and wanted to lecture her she would go elsewhere- so vaccs and no chips it was. My vet told me that was common.

Hope they have some plan to enforce it but I can already think of 10 ways around it

In all fairness, the breeder may be, or have a friend who is, a qualified implanter... and doesn't need the vet to do the chipping...

T.

Nup - she told the vet she had been breeding dogs for 40 years and always vaccinated but never chipped and she wasn't starting now.