Dog Trainer Course

DawnT

Just wondering what you want to achieve by doing the dog training course..

That one doesn't seem to offer a nationally recognised accreditation like a certificate III in dog training.

The ones that I know about are National Dog Trainers Federation - which will teach all methods of dog training and which ones to use when and which work most reliably...

Or Delta / Australian association of Pet Dog Trainers who use mostly the reward / no reward system and controlling the environment to train dogs (and owners).

I could not find any descriptions of how the company you mention trains a dog. Do they use treats, do they use punishment, do they use clickers, do they use slip chains, do they use controlled environments? do they use shock collars, do they use prong collars (aversive and aversive relief training).

And I'm always a bit worried about someone who will take a dog away from the owner and train it and then go back to the owner and spend one session training the owner... It's good that this person says they take the dog back to the home environment to see what the owner has by way of doggy distractions but is that enough?

I've read some shocking stories about trainers that use a lot of aversives in their dog training, and some dogs are tough enough to cope with this and still be a great pet, and some are completely traumatised and ruined by it.

I don't know if this group risk that or not.

hi :) Sorry for the extra questions- here on D O L ... we like to make sure folks know there are a range of choices , and we hate to see folks make bad choices ;)

I presume you have had good experiences with the types of training these people offer- and now want to pass it on?

If you have not trained your dog with them, or talked with dog owners who have - then what drew you to them ? What is it about their form of training you love, and why do you feel that you should learn from them?

Just wondering what you want to achieve by doing the dog training course..

That one doesn't seem to offer a nationally recognised accreditation like a certificate III in dog training.

The ones that I know about are National Dog Trainers Federation - which will teach all methods of dog training and which ones to use when and which work most reliably...

Or Delta / Australian association of Pet Dog Trainers who use mostly the reward / no reward system and controlling the environment to train dogs (and owners).

I could not find any descriptions of how the company you mention trains a dog. Do they use treats, do they use punishment, do they use clickers, do they use slip chains, do they use controlled environments? do they use shock collars, do they use prong collars (aversive and aversive relief training).

And I'm always a bit worried about someone who will take a dog away from the owner and train it and then go back to the owner and spend one session training the owner... It's good that this person says they take the dog back to the home environment to see what the owner has by way of doggy distractions but is that enough?

I've read some shocking stories about trainers that use a lot of aversives in their dog training, and some dogs are tough enough to cope with this and still be a great pet, and some are completely traumatised and ruined by it.

I don't know if this group risk that or not.

Thank you. Yes I know someone who did the course and who got a lot from it, but don't know the finer details. I used to train some 8 years ago and would love to get back into it, but definitely need a refresher and am about to get a new dog myself, so want to get it right, right from the beginning. Also in the rural area I live, lots of people have lots of dogs but there are no trainers around to help them, and I would like to do this. I am not interested in subjecting any dog to forced training and want to learn how to best work with the dog's natural drive and ability.

hi :) Sorry for the extra questions- here on D O L ... we like to make sure folks know there are a range of choices , and we hate to see folks make bad choices ;)

I presume you have had good experiences with the types of training these people offer- and now want to pass it on?

If you have not trained your dog with them, or talked with dog owners who have - then what drew you to them ? What is it about their form of training you love, and why do you feel that you should learn from them?

Thank you. Yes I know someone who did the course and who got a lot from it, but don't know the finer details. I used to train some 8 years ago and would love to get back into it, but definitely need a refresher and am about to get a new dog myself, so want to get it right, right from the beginning. Also in the rural area I live, lots of people have lots of dogs but there are no trainers around to help them, and I would like to do this. I am not interested in subjecting any dog to forced training and want to learn how to best work with the dog's natural drive and ability.

Can you give us a hint as to where you are in NSW as there are lots of good dog clubs throughout country NSW. I think just the name of that organisation "Alpha Canine Professional" would wave a red rag at me.

What drew me to them is they offer a two week intensive, I live rural, so this sort of course makes it easier for me. I do know someone that has done it and enjoyed it - but I don't get a great feeling watching their videos in that the dogs don't seem confident or excited to be 'working'. I want to do a course that can teach me, and then teach others, how to work with their dog's natural abilities and drives. I used to train (volunteer) at a dog club about 8 years ago and loved it, but am very rusty. I don't want to do a long course, I have 2 small children and two jobs.

Can you give us a hint as to where you are in NSW as there are lots of good dog clubs throughout country NSW. I think just the name of that organisation "Alpha Canine Professional" would wave a red rag at me.

What drew me to them is they offer a two week intensive, I live rural, so this sort of course makes it easier for me. I do know someone that has done it and enjoyed it - but I don't get a great feeling watching their videos in that the dogs don't seem confident or excited to be 'working'. I want to do a course that can teach me, and then teach others, how to work with their dog's natural abilities and drives. I used to train (volunteer) at a dog club about 8 years ago and loved it, but am very rusty. I don't want to do a long course, I have 2 small children and two jobs.

I just watched one of their videos on their FB page & couldn't see one treat bag in sight, some might find that form of training OK, but for me, I prefer a reward based training with lots of free shaping. I like to see the dogs having lots of fun while they learn :) ...but that's just my opinion.

I'm about 40 mins from Albury. And yes, that name does not inspire confidence for me either. I really want to train my new pup 'right' and use her as my 'example dog' to help teach others how to train in the same/similar ways - of working with the dog. I also want to get back into trials, with obedience and agility, and get back into teaching. Also, people either aren't willing to travel or can't and there is no-one in the immediate area who can help with their dogs or training, and I would love to be able to offer this.

So, I want to do a course that teaches how to train by working with the dog, that is an intensive type program so I can fit it into my life, that I can then use those skills to train my own dog and pass those skills onto others. Not asking for much am I :-). Thank you.

I'm about 40 mins from Albury. And yes, that name does not inspire confidence for me either. I really want to train my new pup 'right' and use her as my 'example dog' to help teach others how to train in the same/similar ways - of working with the dog. I also want to get back into trials, with obedience and agility, and get back into teaching. Also, people either aren't willing to travel or can't and there is no-one in the immediate area who can help with their dogs or training, and I would love to be able to offer this.

So, I want to do a course that teaches how to train by working with the dog, that is an intensive type program so I can fit it into my life, that I can then use those skills to train my own dog and pass those skills onto others. Not asking for much am I :-). Thank you.

I am an hour from my club where I teach & train every Monday night. We have got used to having to travel & of course we have to travel big distances to get to trial. I can put you in touch with some of the agility people who do great on-line courses. they may not be world super-stars but they are good :)

Thanks Sheena - yes reward based, yes happy dogs, yes well adjusted dogs, yes dogs and team work - all positive is what I love. Thank you. I will look into them, sounds great. PS - I don't mind the travel either it's necessary but the juggle with 2 little kids, 2 jobs, school, after school activities, haha - life is full on excitement, and just trying to squeeze more in.

I have two questions about this course:

1. Do you really want to go to a training course with "Alpha" in the title given that the whole idea of humans being "the alpha" as a training method is largely discredited

2. What kind of training do you think you'll get in just two weeks that will set you up to train other people's dogs.

My advice? Join the Albury dog training club and do a well respected online training course like NTDF. You'll be both qualified AND better experienced to train others.

Yes you are completely right and the more reading I am doing the more negative my views are becoming.

I am waiting for a call back from the Albury Obedience Club as well. Looking into the NDTF as well.

Thank you.

Thanks Sheena - yes reward based, yes happy dogs, yes well adjusted dogs, yes dogs and team work - all positive is what I love. Thank you. I will look into them, sounds great. PS - I don't mind the travel either it's necessary but the juggle with 2 little kids, 2 jobs, school, after school activities, haha - life is full on excitement, and just trying to squeeze more in.

Well yes...I can well imagine....a lot easier when you are retired :laugh:

Alpha Canine Professionals - and Alpha Dog Training and Alpha Dog Training Centre - are all run under the same.

It can be difficult to get a recommendation from a forum - after all you don't really know who the people are nor what they expected in the first place. Unless someone has first hand experience they can give you very little actual feedback.. and often things can just be here say.... which in effect may never be accurate as it will usually start with...." I wouldn't trust someone with a business name like ####" or "a friend of my friend did here training there and..." or even worse just a vague "Oh I hear that they do blah blah blah"

There a many people running courses now and and I hear good and bad about most of them... just the same as you will get about individual trainers.... On a forum line Dogzonline if you are not in the "clique" then the powers that be will not recommend another trainer and worse still they may be critical of such trainers....

Your best course of action would be to take a day and go down to their training facility at Macceslfield or Knoxfield - you can see what is happening for yourself and chat to people who are being trained and see what they think.

Just to be clear.... I have no connection to this company - my nickname here is to do with the alphabet as my name is Anne Zelvys - not about being alpha.... just my recommendation after 25 years of operating as a professional trainer......

Good luck.

Thanks Alpha bet, you are absolutely right. I thought this might be a great place to start and narrow down that list before I start investigating a little deeper, I would always do my own leg work, after all it's a big commitment both in time and $ and I have big expectations of outcomes. Appreciate your response, thank you.