Snake Savvy Dog

Willem

I had a cattle dog that wanted to kill snakes. Another one that was absolutely petrified of them (my preferred response) and , many years ago, a young Doberman who killed a RBB and delivered it to us for praise.

No dingo in that one. Pedigree papers could be produced.

Our old dobie girl was a shocker for killing snakes. We have a creek and bush at the back of our house, so have always had an issue with snakes. She was so fast, that we never had time to intervene. Even as she was aging, I was worried that a snake would be her undoing. She had the shake technique, killed them instantly. :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of my dogs (Labs) were raised in WA and may have been influenced by my alarm at seeing snakes and cutting a wide swathe around them. The other (2 yr old) was born and raised in Florida.

We have dozens of small lizards on my property, and lizard hunting is a favorite pass time. But I've seen them within a few meters of a snake half a dozen times. I can't believe they didn't see or smell it. But, no reaction.

I think some of the snake reaction is breed related. Small terriers seem to have a death wish. One of my dog walking buddies in WA dragged her JRT's away from a dugite. When she was what she thought was a safe distance away she let the dogs off lead. One of them ran right back and attacked the snake. It did not survive.

My Katie (kelpie) was incredible with snakes. She warned us about snakes twice when we moved up the coast - and there's no way she had any experience since she grew up in suburban Collaroy. Unfortunately, Georgia the Amstaff let her heart rule her head and died from a tangle with a large brown snake. I wasn't at home when it happened but the Fex took a pic of it and it was ovary curdling. I worry about Ernie since every thing he sees is presumed edible. He has eaten more Christmas beetles, cockroaches and skinks than I can count.

As for spiders? I treat them the same way I do any uninvited house guest - I make life miserable until they leave. Or they get the flat end of my Doc Marten.

My Dobermann had never seen a snake in his life until hubby accidentally let him out in the front yard when. I had one of our pet diamonds out in his sun cage (all I can say is thank dog the snake was in a cage!!) because the snake hissed at the dog when he came up to me and the dog was in full attack mode, hackles up full savage, I had never seen such a vicious reaction from this dog towards another living creature in his life.

I had to hold the cage down and try to drag him away with the other. Very scary. So I'm guessing he won't be around for long if he happens to find a brown snake somewhere :/

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Snake-Dogs

wrt the article: I'm not sure whether rattlers are really so dangerous - I appreciate getting warned before they strike, so I can't see the need to kill them...?...

However, I like the idea of this homemade snake catcher in the embedded clip...pretty simple, cheap and safe...

The other bit of information I'm contemplating about is the 'violently and repeatedly shake that should disrupts the nervous system of the snake by injuring the delicate spine'...so if it happens that one day you have a snake in your hands and it is suddenly out of control: shake it baby - and let me know if it worked :D ...

I've been bitten by a Huntsman... and lucky me has a nasty reaction to them... blows up into a huge boil thing that needs lancing and stuff. Any Huntsman that comes into my house and shows itself dies... simple!

T.

wow...how did you manage this?...did you step on it or sit on it?.....I had Redbacks crawling over my hands and Huntsmen dropping from the ceiling on my head (when I tried to remove them), but I never got bitten. I heard that white-tailed spiders can be a little bit nasty...and of course the funnel webs, but I actually never saw a funnel web spider here in the Illawarra.

We get heaps of them here and nasty is an understatement. They're easily the most aggro spiders I've ever come across and they seem to enjoy hanging out in places you might need at night- I've found them on the bathroom floor, on the towel rack in the bathroom, in the kitchen sink, wandering up the hallway and even in one of the dogs' bowls. They're not the sort of spider you can trap under a glass and take outside, either. The last one I saw, it ran up the hallway at me with its front legs and fangs up, presumably not for cuddles. I threw a shoe at it to buy myself some time and retreated for the flyspray. The only good white-tailed spider is one that is buried under a foamy pile of Mortein.

I have problems with whitetails touring through my house too. They're mostly not web and one spot spiders, they are more keen to hunt on the move and will keep going until they find some food, then hang around there for a bit... on your bath towel, in the toilet paper, in the bed - argh.

So I use a regular dose of surface spray in the bathroom and the bed room and a couple of other places in the house where they show up, and spray where the wall meets the floors and along the corners of rooms... seems to slow them down a bit. Ie I find dead ones.

'violently and repeatedly shake that should disrupts the nervous system of the snake by injuring the delicate spine'

Running a snake over will kill it - no need to skid. But it dies slowly... so it could still bite until it stops moving. Same problem with chopping the head off or cutting the spine but leaving a still wriggling actively biting bit lying around. If you must do that - make sure you put the head where the dogs cannot get to it.

loose coils of bird netting will also dispatch snakes but that's a slow and horrible way to go so if you must do that, make sure you check the netting twice daily and arrange for removal of any caught.

'violently and repeatedly shake that should disrupts the nervous system of the snake by injuring the delicate spine'

Running a snake over will kill it - no need to skid. But it dies slowly... so it could still bite until it stops moving. Same problem with chopping the head off or cutting the spine but leaving a still wriggling actively biting bit lying around. If you must do that - make sure you put the head where the dogs cannot get to it.

loose coils of bird netting will also dispatch snakes but that's a slow and horrible way to go so if you must do that, make sure you check the netting twice daily and arrange for removal of any caught.

...wrt violent shaking: I thought more of it as a last resort once you tried to catch a snake with bare hands (attempting to get the safe grip just behind the head) and it suddenly comes out of control - a bit much to get to the car, start it, place the snake in front of the wheel and run it over :laugh: ...however, this DIY snake catcher will make direct contact with hands obsolete...

My Dobermann had never seen a snake in his life until hubby accidentally let him out in the front yard when. I had one of our pet diamonds out in his sun cage (all I can say is thank dog the snake was in a cage!!) because the snake hissed at the dog when he came up to me and the dog was in full attack mode, hackles up full savage, I had never seen such a vicious reaction from this dog towards another living creature in his life.

I had to hold the cage down and try to drag him away with the other. Very scary. So I'm guessing he won't be around for long if he happens to find a brown snake somewhere :/

Maxiewolf, a doberman is just so damn fast. Not sure if it's the terrier in the original breed, or just that protect the family at all costs, attitude. We live in a heavily visited snake area. It does worry me, and we keep the grass short. Our current dobe pup has not seen a snake as yet, that we know of anyway. Our neighbour told me of a large brown that she saw enter our yard a few weeks ago. So, I'm currently on snake watch at the moment. Hope it was just passing through. My old dobe had a particular bark for snakes, but she was always quicker than me. I was worried that our young dobie would think a snake as a good game. But reading your experience makes me wonder if they have an inbuilt danger alarm?

...our dog had a very distinguish barking, my wife and I noticed it straight away that it was somehow different...and when we came out she was just baying and circling the area where the snake was hiding. Normally she attacks mice, rats and huntsman without barking - very carefully so to avoid getting bitten, but this time she really kept the safe distance. I can only hope she will keep this behaviour. Next week I will try to contact the breeder to find out whether her parents show a similar behaviour regarding snakes...saying all this: I wouldn't count too much on the 'inbuilt danger alarm', she might have just been lucky.

Edited by Willem

...our dog had a very distinguish barking, my wife and I noticed it straight away that it was somehow different...and when we came out she was just baying and circling the area where the snake was hiding. Normally she attacks mice, rats and huntsman without barking - very carefully so to avoid getting bitten, but this time she really kept the safe distance. I can only hope she will keep this behaviour. Next week I will try to contact the breeder to find out whether her parents show a similar behaviour regarding snakes...saying all this: I wouldn't count too much on the 'inbuilt danger alarm', she might have just been lucky.

She was lucky for 12 years, she died at 13.5 years from cancer, not a snake bite....which was always my greatest fear. So this high pitched bark was not just a random moment here and there. We get a lot of snakes here. I wish we could have trained her out of this behaviour. But, in saying that, I'm also not comfortable having snakes close to the house. We always check the pool before diving in....that's another great snake trap, particularly the skimmer box!

1456998876[/url]' post='6792981']
1456871715[/url]' post='6792475']
1456870940[/url]' post='6792469']

I've been bitten by a Huntsman... and lucky me has a nasty reaction to them... blows up into a huge boil thing that needs lancing and stuff. Any Huntsman that comes into my house and shows itself dies... simple!

T.

wow...how did you manage this?...did you step on it or sit on it?.....I had Redbacks crawling over my hands and Huntsmen dropping from the ceiling on my head (when I tried to remove them), but I never got bitten. I heard that white-tailed spiders can be a little bit nasty...and of course the funnel webs, but I actually never saw a funnel web spider here in the Illawarra.

We get heaps of them here and nasty is an understatement. They're easily the most aggro spiders I've ever come across and they seem to enjoy hanging out in places you might need at night- I've found them on the bathroom floor, on the towel rack in the bathroom, in the kitchen sink, wandering up the hallway and even in one of the dogs' bowls. They're not the sort of spider you can trap under a glass and take outside, either. The last one I saw, it ran up the hallway at me with its front legs and fangs up, presumably not for cuddles. I threw a shoe at it to buy myself some time and retreated for the flyspray. The only good white-tailed spider is one that is buried under a foamy pile of Mortein.

I'll stick to the huntsmen.. That is terrifying.

I've been bitten by a white-tailed in bed (I guess the little bastard was hiding under my pillows, the bite was on the back of my head :mad ) and I can assure you, it does not tickle. The bite site itself didn't look like much- sort of like a very small pimple- but it was swollen and very sore for several days. I now make a habit of wearing socks around the house to protect my feet, shaking out bedding and not walking into dark rooms.

Huntsmen creep me out but I'd take them over white-tailed spiders any day :/

1456998876[/url]' post='6792981']
1456871715[/url]' post='6792475']
1456870940[/url]' post='6792469']

T.

I'll stick to the huntsmen.. That is terrifying.

I've been bitten by a white-tailed in bed (I guess the little bastard was hiding under my pillows, the bite was on the back of my head :mad ) and I can assure you, it does not tickle. The bite site itself didn't look like much- sort of like a very small pimple- but it was swollen and very sore for several days. I now make a habit of wearing socks around the house to protect my feet, shaking out bedding and not walking into dark rooms.

Huntsmen creep me out but I'd take them over white-tailed spiders any day :/

Interesting that you should mention that Maddy. Someone I know was bitten on the nose while sleeping, she thinks the white tail was in the mask of sleep apnoea machine. Very painful and took ages to heal.

Edited by JayGee

Back to snakes... I got to see (and photograph) the coolest baby Eastern Brown Snake today... and they don't look anything like their adult versions! It was all of about 9 inches long, slim, and looked like a tiger snake - all stripy. It was so pretty... but carries a venom load enough to kill an adult human! Feisty as all get out too!

post-23772-0-07826200-1457157043_thumb.jpg

How pretty is this deadly little critter?

T.

years ago we found this one in the garden...snake buster who picked it up said it was a juvenile eastern brown...while it looks totally different to the pic in the previous post I read and heart that they come in all color patterns...

it was more greyish with a distinct black head...and no red but more whitish-grey belly...

post-54054-0-41408800-1457158688_thumb.jpg

Edited by Willem

The browns are also super quick and cranky bastards... lol!

Black snakes will generally want to get away from you, whereas the browns will stand their ground or actively repel you... I wouldn't want to try to catch either myself... err!

T.

...wrt violent shaking: I thought more of it as a last resort once you tried to catch a snake with bare hands (attempting to get the safe grip just behind the head) and it suddenly comes out of control - a bit much to get to the car, start it, place the snake in front of the wheel and run it over :laugh: ...however, this DIY snake catcher will make direct contact with hands obsolete...

I just don't think violent shaking will work fast enough. Neither will running the poor thing over (or rolling it in bird netting).

With fish - they do something I call "ikijeema" (no idea of spelling or pronunciation) where they stick a spike into the brain behind the eye or something like that - the fish don't even flip after that. But I would not want to try that on a live poisonous snake. I think if I had one out of control - I'd be trying to get far away from it while pointing it at somewhere safer (from its point of view) for it to be like under a bit of tin (not my car).

fortunately the one time I had to deal with a snake it was tiny and a big metal office bin went over the top, with some big office sticky tape dispensers on top until the snake catcher came and got it. Yes the baby tiger snake was in our office. Bleah

.....photos are really NOT neccesary ...really :(

;)

Aux contraire, photos are essential for learning to recognize what snakes are dangerous . . . especially when the juveniles look so different from the adults. If snakes gross you out so much, avoid the thread