Adopting Older Dogs

BarbedWire

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friskie was 14 when she came to me - her previous owner had died and his relatives had dumped her. It took her about 4 weeks to settle in. She has been here 3 years now.

I think we need a photograph of this little champion :thumbsup:

She's beautiful

People always try and justify behavior, truth is they cant talk and we don't know what happened to them.

Just because a dog is fearful does not mean it was mistreated, it could just be a fearful dog.

I have had a few oldies, some fitted in the minute they arrived without a backward glance, others seemed to be looking for someone.

My old BT loved utes and would try and get into any he saw, he also loved men, and was my sons shadow.

I much prefer mature dogs, they need time to adjust thats all.

Thank you Juice. The bolded part is what I mean

yep I totally understand. I have had a few oldies join the pack here over they years.

Bear was about 9 or 10 when he came to us from a couple who adored him but changes in health meant they could not keep him. They were distraught about leaving him. Bear was ok at my place until the day his people visited.. he was beside himself with joy. greeted with tail going nineteen to the dozen. received pats and hugs and gentle croonings.. gave them both a snuggle and a lick..the went out and joined Honey under the house..from that moment he belonged totally here. I think he was relieved that his people were fine... and that allowed him to relax fully.

I love that old boy to distraction.

H