New Things Happening At Petrescue...

Has anyone seen the latest PetRescue fundraising effort? They've taken on some tiny kittens and are hand raising themselves...

https://www.facebook...60813654&type=3

One would think that with the number of rescues out there that PetRescue could have tapped into - with many extremely experienced foster carers to boot - why would they now be doing rescue themselves?

Conflict of interest or not? Love to hear opinions...

T.

I'm not sure it's productive or appropriate to be negative about someone doing something positive?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen the latest PetRescue fundraising effort? They've taken on some tiny kittens and are hand raising themselves...

https://www.facebook...60813654&type=3

One would think that with the number of rescues out there that PetRescue could have tapped into - with many extremely experienced foster carers to boot - why would they now be doing rescue themselves?

Conflict of interest or not? Love to hear opinions...

T.

I'm not sure it's productive or appropriate to be negative about someone doing something positive?

No one is being negative, merely asking for others "opinion"

Edited by keetamouse

• 2 weeks later...

[ I've been trying to find a dog for an elderly lady who won't be walking a dog but is active in her own house/yard. She wanted something of 10+ and has family back up but from a distance. As with every situation, it is best to make a very thorough match for it to be happy for person and dog.

Yesterday the family got fed up with waiting and took her to meet a dog with another rescue group, no questions asked, just pay your adoption fee and here you go, no yard check.

She's ended up (as a very inexperienced owner with physical limitations) with a young Jack Russell. Day 1 and the dog escapes ....

My thoughts are unprintable but hey, the dog got a home so according to what is being suggested on the article with Petrescue, this is a life saved with no hassles for anyone involved.

That's a great example of what happens when there's no careful screening & matching and no home checks. It doesn't rate being called 'rescue'.... should be called 'dog endangerment'. As it puts a dog squarely at high risk for bouncing back into a rescue/shelter or pound & at worst case scenario, being put down.

Fair enough that even with the best adoption processes, the trial period might not work out for some. There's always some risk .... but your example shows when the risk goes thro' the roof because of plain laziness & lack of foresight for the dog's welfare. Not fair to a well-meaning adopter, either.

[ I've been trying to find a dog for an elderly lady who won't be walking a dog but is active in her own house/yard. She wanted something of 10+ and has family back up but from a distance. As with every situation, it is best to make a very thorough match for it to be happy for person and dog.

Yesterday the family got fed up with waiting and took her to meet a dog with another rescue group, no questions asked, just pay your adoption fee and here you go, no yard check.

She's ended up (as a very inexperienced owner with physical limitations) with a young Jack Russell. Day 1 and the dog escapes ....

My thoughts are unprintable but hey, the dog got a home so according to what is being suggested on the article with Petrescue, this is a life saved with no hassles for anyone involved.

That's a great example of what happens when there's no careful screening & matching and no home checks. It doesn't rate being called 'rescue'.... should be called 'dog endangerment'. As it puts a dog squarely at high risk for bouncing back into a rescue/shelter or pound & at worst case scenario, being put down.

Fair enough that even with the best adoption processes, the trial period might not work out for some. There's always some risk .... but your example shows when the risk goes thro' the roof because of plain laziness & lack of foresight for the dog's welfare. Not fair to a well-meaning adopter, either.

We had a call this week from the adopter to say she had returned the Jack Russell and thinks she has been very stupid. Yes, she made a mistake but it is also the job of a good rescue organisation to make a sensible match. That poor dog is now back looking for a home, you'd have to wonder just how many times a dog could be placed incorrectly and returned as that is a real possibility when dogs are handed out to the first person that asks to meet them.

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly are you looking for in a home check?

I don't things like an unfenced yard should always be a barrier to owning a dog.

I'm 100% sure I could keep my dog safe and happy even if we didn't have a fenced yard. She stays indoors when I'm not home.

I'm not that keen on having some random inspect my house. Especially having seen here on dol (judging by the home check requests)that the person doing the check may not even be a member of the organization or met anyone from the rescue group.

Edited by aussielover

What exactly are you looking for in a home check?

I don't things like an unfenced yard should always be a barrier to owning a dog.

I'm 100% sure I could keep my dog safe and happy even if we didn't have a fenced yard. She stays indoors when I'm not home.

I'm not that keen on having some random inspect my house. Especially having seen here on dol (judging by the home check requests)that the person doing the check may not even be a member of the organization or met anyone from the rescue group.

I've home checked for an organisation I have no association with. I think if you searched my name here you'd see I treat my dog well. I don't do things the same way as you/others but you can't say he's not well cared for. I basically went in to make sure it wasn't a "oh hell no" situation. I mean "would I leave my dog here" is entirely different (in that case I would have - he was going to a wonderful home, breed experienced, work from home, no children, park literally around the corner) - but I think most DOLers could agree on "not over my dead body" situations.

When I adopted I saw the dog I wanted online, called to make sure he was still available and on Saturday of that week walked into the shelter, signed the paperwork and took the dog home. I had a 2 week trial with him - but I have occasionally thought it was too easy. - I mean the place I got him has a good record and move a lot of pets. Had there been ore barriers I may not have gotten him at all.

In my opinion - it's a fine line.

I'm looking for a securely fenced yard, free from poisonous/toxic plants and other hazards. I don't really feel the need to explain too much further. Basically the dog has to be safe, secure and loved - that's what i'm looking for.

Usually, like most rescuers, I've invested in excess of the adoption fee into making a dog healthy and well - desexing, vacc, dental, heartworm test, grooming, antiobiotics - the list goes on, i've also trained and loved the dog - it's a massive physical, financial and emotional investment.

If people aren't comfortable having a yard inspection then that's fine, they don't have to adopt one of my dogs - i'm not forcing anyone.