Animal Charities Worth Donating To

Dave-o

There's a number of animal charities in Australia - RSPCA, Animals Australia, World Animal Protection, Pet Rescue... and many more.

I'd like to know people's opinions on which charities are more worthy and why... which would you donate to?? Or which wouldn't you donate to??

This is the one that l donate to. It helps the indigenous communities.

http://www.amrric.org/

+2

I've donated to that one. There was a red collars to indicate spayed or vaccinated dogs if I recall? Healthy dog population helps with healthy people population. Really like that one.

Guides dogs and quarantine/detection dogs. Lort smith (local vet)

I would support donations to Team Dog, who assist people whose dogs have been targeted by Breed Specific Legislation, help people to get their dogs out of the pound and back in to their home when dire financial situations could mean they are unable to reclaim their pet, support people having a hard time to hang on to their pets instead of surrendering them, work to change for the better how councils and pounds operate and provide enrichment programs for impounded animals. http://www.teamdog.com.au

Thank you Snook! <3

Dave-O we (Team Dog) are a young charity but we have achieved a lot in our short time. Last year we kept 98 pets out of the pounds in NSW and with the families who love then, as well as providing extensive advice and support to pet owners subject to breed specific legislation and other council action.

We ran two free microchipping events, and helped with low cost desexing surgery for many clients, too.

We support positive and reasonable animal management and we work alongside many pounds and shelters in achieving our goals, and do a lot of advocacy work too.

Funds are extremely important to what we do, and given the uniqueness of our programs we had overwhelming demand for our help in 2015. We have had to temporarily shut down financial assistance while we lay the foundations for sustainability long in to the future. Regular donations are a huge part of that and we are very appreciative of any donations people may choose to make. No pressure of course, there's so many wonderful charities around that deserve support.

You can find out more about us here:

Www.teamdog.com.au

Www.facebook.com/theteamdog

Edited by melzawelza

Pets in the Park: http://www.petsinthepark.org.au

They provide basic veterinary care to the animals of Sydney's homeless.

Thumbs up to that! There is also Pets of the Homeless who provide food and medication for pets of homeless people in Melbourne (and have sent goods to homeless assistance programs interstate).

And for those who have not heard of it yet, Fix The Nation provides free desexing to low income families, plus a last litter program, under which parents are desexed free of charge and returned to owners while their puppies or kittens are desexed and vetworked and adopted out. This group is new, but already is operating in at least 4 Australian states.smile.gif

I am with Team Bart To The Rescue http://www.teambarttotherescue.org/ (you can also find us on Facebook).

Team Bart started in September last year and every two months we connect with about 3 rescue groups and get their wish lists and try and fulfill them. Some items are bulk purchased and delivered with donation dollars, some items are purchased and sent by post by individual Team Bart Champions and other items are handmade and delivered/posted. This approach allows people with practical skills (but perhaps not a lot of money) to still be part of the giving process. There is nothing more heartwarming than seeing an animal using the item that you made on a rescue's Facebook page! And you can opt in or out of every round so if you are not a fan of farm animals or are short of funds there is no expectation that you will again participate.

The rescue groups can be based anywhere around Australia and there is a tendency to support groups who might not be well noticed (but who are still doing important work). So far we have done dogs, cats, wildlife and are currently moving into pocket pets. In the future we will do farm animals and the pets of homeless people (and I think birds?). The more Champions we have the more rescue groups we can support. Team Bart is also working towards getting charity status already.

Team Bart Champions are a very supportive and flexible bunch too - nothing is too much hassle for the rescue groups. The person who runs it is of course an animal lover and long time rescue supporter and as far as I know 100% of dollar donations are used to buy goods - she covers all other costs in running Team Bart To The Rescue herself.

I personally wouldn't donate to the RSPCA. They have funding sources that so many other smaller groups don't. They also have a recognised name and PR options. I wont talk about what they aren't doing with all that money already in their accounts or the sob stories they tell to get it in the first place.

It's your money so you should donate it where you feel most comfortable. In this instance size (of funds and the group you support) doesn't matter!

There's a number of animal charities in Australia - RSPCA, Animals Australia, World Animal Protection, Pet Rescue... and many more.

I'd like to know people's opinions on which charities are more worthy and why... which would you donate to?? Or which wouldn't you donate to??

Are you looking to donate or just starting the conversation out of interest, do you currently donate to charities? Which ones?

Personally I prefer to support smaller charities, but one requirement is that they are registered so I can claim a tax deduction.

I would support donations to Team Dog, who assist people whose dogs have been targeted by Breed Specific Legislation, help people to get their dogs out of the pound and back in to their home when dire financial situations could mean they are unable to reclaim their pet, support people having a hard time to hang on to their pets instead of surrendering them, work to change for the better how councils and pounds operate and provide enrichment programs for impounded animals. http://www.teamdog.com.au

Thank you Snook! <3

Dave-O we (Team Dog) are a young charity but we have achieved a lot in our short time. Last year we kept 98 pets out of the pounds in NSW and with the families who love then, as well as providing extensive advice and support to pet owners subject to breed specific legislation and other council action.

We ran two free microchipping events, and helped with low cost desexing surgery for many clients, too.

We support positive and reasonable animal management and we work alongside many pounds and shelters in achieving our goals, and do a lot of advocacy work too.

Funds are extremely important to what we do, and given the uniqueness of our programs we had overwhelming demand for our help in 2015. We have had to temporarily shut down financial assistance while we lay the foundations for sustainability long in to the future. Regular donations are a huge part of that and we are very appreciative of any donations people may choose to make. No pressure of course, there's so many wonderful charities around that deserve support.

Www.teamdog.com.au

You should note that you only help people in NSW.

Chihuahua Rescue Queensland

Bit OT, but I'm so glad you support this group (among others).

They not only take in Chi's & Chi crosses of all ages, including the elderly, but also what they call Honorary Chihuahuas. They presently have the cutest, tiniest elderly bloke who makes a milk carton look big. Name, Archie, who's some kind of Yorkie X. Recently they had a Sheltie,

They have vet nurses in their management, so dogs rescued in awful condition are nursed back to health amazingly.

I do a happy dance if a Tibbie gets into their hands.

Thank you Snook! <3

Www.teamdog.com.au

She did say NSW. I'm in SA but still support Team Dog because I'd love to see what they do either expand to other states or be adopted by people/groups in other states.

Only help not located. There's a difference. And by helping Team Dog you are not in any way assisting the formation of a similar group anywhere else.

Thank you Snook! <3

Www.teamdog.com.au

She did say NSW. I'm in SA but still support Team Dog because I'd love to see what they do either expand to other states or be adopted by people/groups in other states.

Only help not located. There's a difference. And by helping Team Dog you are not in any way assisting the formation of a similar group anywhere else.

Well, it would be logical to think that they're located in the state that they help. I think that the more support that Team Dog get, the more they can do to help people and pets and the more that word will get out about them. The more people who are aware of what they do, the greater the chance of someone realising it can be done and wanting to initiate something similar in their own state. Even if that never happens, I still love the work that they do and will continue to support them.

I'm in VIC and Mel has also provided the rescue I work with with advice, where she can. Things like possible avenues to try, approaches that might work when reasoning with council. Just having someone who is experienced and confident in negotiating with councils who we can contact is useful.

I have also donated to them even though I live interstate.

Just my 2c.

I'll be checking out some of the other charities also mentioned in this topic as well, I hadn't heard of a number of them.

I'm a fan of AMMRIC too.

They do sensible stuff from kids and puppies up, and also are a lookout post for rabies and similar big picture things that makes me respect the thought behind the push action.

Chihuahua Rescue Queensland

Bit OT, but I'm so glad you support this group (among others).

They not only take in Chi's & Chi crosses of all ages, including the elderly, but also what they call Honorary Chihuahuas. They presently have the cutest, tiniest elderly bloke who makes a milk carton look big. Name, Archie, who's some kind of Yorkie X. Recently they had a Sheltie,

They have vet nurses in their management, so dogs rescued in awful condition are nursed back to health amazingly.

I do a happy dance if a Tibbie gets into their hands.

I follow them on FB, Mita, where I have often stated that it is a very good thing I live in Sydney as I'd probably have far too many dogs than is good for me or them :D :D