Nellie The Bordeaux With Botulism

The short version he made it!

The slightly longer version it was a battle, we really did not know at times if we would win. Getting him home was fantastic and terrifying 10days in ICU the real journey was about to start.

He could breath and move his eyes lap a little and that was about it, he still had a very poor swallow reflex so feeding was little and often.

Day 2 at home he refused to drink point blank and we have just had the hottest summer, all I kept thinking was dehydration...

We had little wins which buoyed us through the sleep deprivation waking every two hrs day and night to turn him, he had to stay in lateral recumbency or possible suffocate, but we had to twist his hind end left to right. The odemas were horrific, around his legs throat and chest we were applying damp compresses for 10 min every few hours, his temp went from 36.to 40.4 for days even on antibiotics

A month in, he could eat out of a bowl if you put it under his nose still very paralyze in his legs and showing very small improvements our vet came to us and saw him on the 30th Dec and Nellie sort of wiggled on the spot his parting words work him hard.

Up until then we were already doing 3 different physio work outs on him 2 -3 times a day and Bowen weekly, with the advise of a member here we bought a physio ball and cranked everything up a gear. The physio ball I think made all the difference it gave him the ability to know where his feet were and we could work different muscle groups as the weight /muscle loss was heartbreaking.

Late Jan with the aid of a harness we had him on his feet and he could just about support himself.

From there it has been amazing we have a slightly wobbly older looking Nellie he had his 8th birthday late Jan but, he plays enjoys shorter walks loves seeing his puppy friends and seems to be really enjoying his life.

There are still some issues as he has to re grow his nerve endings and we hope time will improve this but, fundmentaly if he does not improve I don't care I love hearing him snort and phoof as he "sneaks" up to bite my toes.

Would I do it again in a heart beat but, I hope to goodness I never ever have too. It was just over 3.5 months of 24hour care.

Sorry for the long post thank you to everyone's advise.