Renascene Bulldog

Hey there people I am currently doing some research as I am looking to add a new member to the family and hopefully help my daughter get over her fear of dogs. I have always been a British bulldog lover but after doing a bit of research and then reading about breathing problems, heart problems, eye problem and that they can't swim to we'll has put me off (correct me if I am wrong,thanks) and that's on top of $3500.00 which are the nicest looking ones and I doubt a vet bill would be cheap. So I have been looking into alternative bully breeds and found a new breed in America called the Renascene Bulldog which is a designer Bulldog created to look like the early bulldogs I quite like the look of them as they are taller and more athletic. So I live in New Zealand and getting one sent over here would probably cost an arm and a leg which I only have 2 of each and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to hopefully find a breed/bloodline which closely resembles the Renascene breed. I have found some on trademe which are labeled an American Bulldog and are pretty close to what I am looking for but other alternatives would be very much appreciated. Cheers and thank you

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd get a Staffordshire bull terrier ahead of one of those. You could find a breeder who has dogs that get along well with humans and other dogs.

But I wouldn't cos I'm a sucker for Bull Terriers sometimes called "English Bull Terriers" - the ones that can bust your nose with a single love kiss.

Pretty sure you could get a bully breed mix in NZ that looks like those drooly mouthed things. I'd look around where they go pig hunting.

Or maybe a dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff)?

French Bulldogs even in NZ cost a minimum of $4000 and the OP thought that $3500 was a lot, I know that British in NZ and here from a good breeder is also at least $4000+.

I make it a rule that when I do have a litter of Frenchies, on a very rare occasion, I do not sell to families who have children under 12 and there must be someone home for most of the day.

The reason about the age of a child is that under that age a lot of children want to run and play all day and a Frenchie will do it too to their own detriment because of their flat faces and breathing apparatus is not the same, very short faced breeds must not be over exercised.

I think a Staffie would be more in the price range and a more robust breed.

Why not go small and cute and get a Frenchie :) maybe more a girl-scared-of-dogs size too?

We currently have a little foxy and she doesn't like that either, so I'm thinking if we start off at pup then surely she wouldn't mind it and can see it grow and get use to dogs

French Bulldogs even in NZ cost a minimum of $4000 and the OP thought that $3500 was a lot, I know that British in NZ and here from a good breeder is also at least $4000+.

I make it a rule that when I do have a litter of Frenchies, on a very rare occasion, I do not sell to families who have children under 12 and there must be someone home for most of the day.

The reason about the age of a child is that under that age a lot of children want to run and play all day and a Frenchie will do it too to their own detriment because of their flat faces and breathing apparatus is not the same, very short faced breeds must not be over exercised.

I think a Staffie would be more in the price range and a more robust breed.

Cheapest British bulldogs I've found are $1800.00 but they don't have the nicest looking markings

Would be interesting to know these Bulldogs for $1800 if their parents have had all the relevant health tests that is required by top breeders and controlling bodies, well at least here we do all the tests, there are xrays to be done of breeding stock and now DNA tests used as well for hereditary health issues.

Cheap is not always good.

If you already have a dog & she is scared of that I doubt getting a puppy will fix the problem & may make it worse.

Pups jump, growl & play roughly or madly & do not obey commands instantly so I can't see how she will cope if she can't cope with an adult trained dog.

It will also sense her nervousness or dislike & may become fearful or timid in response.

Maybe look at & research more professional help.

A few sessions with a psychologist or hypnotist & some suggestions for interacting with other dogs before getting another one may be a more helpful way to go.

Perhaps, before committing to a dog, you can take your little girl to meet some puppies of any old breed and scope out how she feels about puppies? It could be she will like the specific one you get, but if she dislikes all puppies too I think you should maybe work on building up her confidence around dogs first. Maybe take her to NZ RSPCA to have a look at the older, calm and not intimidating ones. If she's curious about them, involve her in the dog hunting process so she's excited about the upcoming dog.

But I think you want to start putting her fears to rest first.

Would be interesting to know these Bulldogs for $1800 if their parents have had all the relevant health tests that is required by top breeders and controlling bodies, well at least here we do all the tests, there are xrays to be done of breeding stock and now DNA tests used as well for hereditary health issues.

Cheap is not always good.

I'd be thinking they don't.

Unfortunately expensive is not always good either. Everyone seems to be putting the price of Frenchie's up despite it not being indicative of a great improvement in health. Even if buying from a health testing breeder good chance you'll need to have nostrils widened and soft palate done at great expense anyway.

I'm on Frenchie Facebook page and someone had their 3.5yr yr Frenchie pts yesterday after a 40 minute walk on the beach (at 4.30pm, with rests and water breaks) etc. The dog overheated and collapsed. It was going to cost them $3000 a day for up to 3 weeks for treatment.

I'm sure they spent many many thousands on their dog but apparently shouldn't have done normal dog like activities with him. It just doesn't seem right.

I agree puppies are wild. How old is your daughter? My westie puppy (small white fluffy - don't tell him I said that!) definitely isn't popular with my friends 4yo daughter as he is very rambunctious. The six year old boy next door loves him as they run around all silly together. But he is a baby and does baby stuff like jumping up on people and the four year old doesn't like it at all. He's getting trained out of it but he doesn't do it with me so we can only train when we have visitors.

Have you heard of Australian Bulldogs? I've met a couple and they seem lovely.

My staffy was a favourite of my friend who is scared of dogs. She thought he was the best dog ever, which of course he was:) Children could be scared of him initially, as they can be a bit scary looking (I never thought so, but kids were a bit funny), plus very strong. He'd trot out his repertoire of tricks culminating in getting shot and dying and then kids couldn't get enough of him.

How about getting an older dog from rescue? One that is already good with children and has lost its family for whatever reason. Older dogs can be very patient and you would be saving a life. There are lot of bull breed type dogs looking for homes. Puppies are boisterous and jump up and destroy anything they can get their teeth on to. They can also be mouthy and your daughter might not like that.

All puppies are rambunctious.you do occasionally get a More quite sedate puppy in a litter but even then they will get the zooomies and go through the ' I want to eat and chew everything ' stage which will include your child .

Perhaps an older Caviliar King Charles Spaniel puppy , a puppy that has not worked out to be a suitable show dog from a reputable breeder , might be a better choice . Probably a decent wait for a suitable pup to come along but at least training would have started and cavvies are known for their gentle natures .

Ok ..are you getting a large , strong, drooly, independent dog with your daughter in mind?

Now you've said she is not fond of your current dog ..honestly , I agree that a puppy is probably not a good plan. A nip may well be VERY stressful for your girl.

have you considered talking with a child psychologist ?

having a professional along for the ride is pretty much always a good idea - hope that you can find the cause of this fear , and slowly work with one another to help your daughter - so that , one day , she may be relaxed and confident enough to choose and welcome a new puppy into her life :)

Totally agree Roova with what you have said, but bear in mind because of the popularity of the Frenchie :cry: there are so many people coming into the breeding of them and I would say that most of them would not be doing the testing that long term breeders do or have any knowledge of how to read a pedigree and know the history of the dogs in the pedigrees.

I have had this beautiful breed for almost 33 years and I am aghast at the prices that I have seen being asked for puppies on DOL, I do not ask anywhere near the amounts I have seen, it is ridiculous, as I only breed, if I am lucky every couple of years I have plenty of time to do my homework on the future Sire.

So so sorry to hear about that poor Frenchie. :cry:

Why not go small and cute and get a Frenchie :) maybe more a girl-scared-of-dogs size too?

We currently have a little foxy and she doesn't like that either, so I'm thinking if we start off at pup then surely she wouldn't mind it and can see it grow and get use to dogs

Hi Bullybreedlover,

What is it your daughter doesn't like about your Foxie? Has she had a bad experience with him?

Edited by raineth

I knew people who thought if they got a pup their child would be fine. I told them don't do it. Pup ended up in the pound at 12 months of age. I suggest you find friends with nice quiet older dogs and visit them a lot without forcing your child to interact with the dog.

Would a Boston terrier be within budget & still have the "look" you're going for?

I agree with the others that a puppy wouldn't suit. They are mental, yes they sleep a lot but when they're awake they are a flurry of teeth and destruction and horror, and let's not forget the poo laugh.gifeek1.gif

An older dog that's got the housetraining and a bit of training (like not jumping up/licking) would be your best bet.

My cocker and I used to love 1pm puppy nap time. Up till then the pup needed lots of interaction and was a wild child. He'd sleep for a few hours, which was blissful LOL. Puppies are adorable but busy little critters.