Pagan 16 Sept 1984-10 March 2016

Kirislin

krislin... my heart aches for your loss. Nothing will ever be the same again.. I remember reading these words when one of my heart dogs died... and they still ring so true

Vicki Hearne

" Until (s)he died (s)he was immortal and the death of an immortal is an event that changes the world"

the memories you both made together have made you who you are today and that is a very big legacy.

Hugs

Helen

thankyou everyone for understanding. I still cant quite believe it. I can still hear her voice. Everytime I back down the driveway I look for her, even as I'm looking at her grave, I'm still looking out of habit, and as I turn into my property I instinctively look for her in the paddock, but it is sinking in now I suppose. Soon I will plant a tree for her.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to let the earth settle a bit before planting her tree I think, but I've placed a fibreglass pond there as well, which will probably have to be re-placed at some stage but for now it's OK. Yesterday I heard a noise and saw something out of the corner of my eye and looked down to see a very happy magpie having a real good bath in the pond, which is now known as Pagans pond. :) It's all looking very temporary there at the moment but in the future I hope I can make it look fairly natural with plants around the edge and a place native animals can come to cool off on a hot day.

Pagans Pond...has a lovely ring to it Kirislin. Sorry for your loss....so beautiful that she lived her whole life with you..many horses are not nearly so lucky.

I know, I like it too.

thankyou everyone. It's been a while now. A friend came by yesterday and commented on how long the grass is growing. I wish all the local kangaroos would come by and eat it all down.

Pagans Pond...has a lovely ring to it Kirislin. Sorry for your loss....so beautiful that she lived her whole life with you..many horses are not nearly so lucky.

yep, she was born in Newborough in the LaTrobe Valley and from then on where I lived was shaped by her. I had to have somewhere with land, even if it was a rented property. We moved quite a few times within the "valley" as it was known. I had her educated by a wonderful man in Tallangatta Valley who trained her gently long before horse whispering was in vogue. Just transporting her there was difficult, and getting her home again just as hard. Then I bought my first property, a new car and horse float so that we could have adventures together, and what adventures we had. Together we've been to the high plains, to the top of Mt Hotham, to Lake Tarli Karng, galloped along the ninety mile beach, swum rivers and nearly got washed out to sea :eek: and of course ridden part of the BNT. When I moved to Qld arranging to get her there was difficult and expensive, and a friend said why dont you just sell her and buy another horse when you get there? I was like.......really? She just didn't get it.

Bringing her home to Vic was even harder because she had a foal at foot, it took us 5 days to get back and even that was really hard on them. I always suspected that the tick spraying they had to have to cross the border in to NSW might have had something to do with her son Rowdys premature death. I'll never know. :(

I was so lucky to have them both.

My whole life really from the time of her birth was shaped by her, and now she's gone I am questioning my lifestyle.