Puppy Culture Rotti Puppies - Photos & Vids Galore

Starkehre

So gorgeous :love:

Starkehre, apologies if I missed it in one of the videos but why is it called Manding? :o

Not at all Simply Grand :) Manding is teaching puppies to ask for something they need in a way that is preferable to humans than the software they come with, which is jumping up, whinging, scratching, biting, barking etc. We teach the puppy to become operant and how to Mand. From there, learning anything and everything is easy.

It is a way of giving our puppies a voice that we are happy to respond to. so now when they want something, they sit nicely and look into my eyes and wait. sure it is only for a few seconds now, but hey they are still just babies :)

this will set them up for calm greetings with strangers and pretty much every situation where they want some attention. Jumping up is one of the most challenging of undesired behaviours to overcome for the average pet person. Our puppies already know not to jump up, they default to sitting calmly for attention.

I did some free stacking with one baby today. First time. She was full and sleepy. Just through doing the manding training for a week or so, she took to free stacking straight away. she knows how to receive a reward, she is operant as are all the puppies. they are amazing. they give full eye focus, with duration and calmness.

One of the most common questions people ask is will manding destroy show stacks. absolutely not. If a 5 weeks old puppy can master a free stack in 2 minutes from manding for just over a week, then any dog can :)

This is all part of Puppy Culture :)

Oh awesome, thank you! I was thinking it just applied to sitting rather than jumpin up but it seems like it can apply encouraging them to offer any behaviour that we want vs what their instincts might drive them to do, is that right? So it involves self control and communication skills from the puppy.

I wish I'd known more about this when Quinn was a puppy, I responded to her jumping up, as did other people out in public when she was little and cute, and the first few months of that took the next few years to train back out to desirable behaviours get you what you want!

Oh awesome, thank you! I was thinking it just applied to sitting rather than jumpin up but it seems like it can apply encouraging them to offer any behaviour that we want vs what their instincts might drive them to do, is that right? So it involves self control and communication skills from the puppy.

I wish I'd known more about this when Quinn was a puppy, I responded to her jumping up, as did other people out in public when she was little and cute, and the first few months of that took the next few years to train back out to desirable behaviours get you what you want!

Manding is taught using the sit. However, there is no "sit" cue ever given. It is simply about waiting for the pup to not be climbing on you and then offering the sitting position. this is because it is the most desirable behaviour for pet owners.

It is the mere teaching to be operant that allows the concept to be taken to teaching anything.

It is not mandatory to use a sit when teaching manding, but it is preferred.

Many show people still feel that teaching the sit makes for an unreliable or poor stacking show dog, which is simply not true. We can teach any position and proof it. The stand is not about stopping the dog from sitting. it is a completely separate position and is very easy to teach.

Yes, it does involve impulse control because the pup has to learn that the fastest way to get the treat is not via jumping at it and the owner. it is taking that moment to think about offering a behaviour. It is incredible how quickly they pick it up :)

Umbrella challenge - startle/recovery and socialization this morning.

hmmmm..... 5 week Umbrella Challenge - me thinks should have been with one pup at a time. They broke it bahaha.

At one point gold girl was running around the inside jumping the frame arms LOL.

I didn't leave the umbrella down at all. I opened it loudly and popped it down quickly. The photographs were taken as quickly as it took me to pick up the camera and point

Poor umbrella had the worst startle of all and is now in recovery...broken

post-27202-0-82166500-1461107373_thumb.jpg

post-27202-0-98407100-1461107384_thumb.jpg

post-27202-0-51479900-1461107395_thumb.jpg

post-27202-0-33403300-1461107405_thumb.jpg

post-27202-0-81132600-1461107420_thumb.jpg

hmmmm..... 5 week Umbrella Challenge - me thinks should have been with one pup at a time. They broke it bahaha.

At one point gold girl was running around the inside jumping the frame arms LOL.

I didn't leave the umbrella down at all. I opened it loudly and popped it down quickly. The photographs were taken as quickly as it took me to pick up the camera and point

LOL! :laugh:

Love what you're doing. Startle/recovery response is SO important. :thumbsup:

LOL! :laugh:

Love what you're doing. Startle/recovery response is SO important. :thumbsup:

Thank you PS :thanks:

Thank you everyone. It means a lot to me :thanks:

Today (yesterday, Friday) I took the puppies on their first "off campus excursion" LOL. Boy was that a lot of preparation. I had to pack an incidentals bag and a cooly bag with all their bits and pieces in it.

Then getting them all into the car was incredibly funny, but we managed very well.

They had a ball. We drove to a breeder friends place where they have neutral dogs and a really big yard and a high up but safe for puppies decking, which has a sloping ramp up to it. So lots of socialization to different surfaces, habituated to a completely new environment.

They played, slept, ate, pooped and peed, chased other dogs and we went home again.

Big day, so good for them.

Looking at all those gorgeous faces and the videos - how do you choose a keeper?

Good question Katsdogs :D

I am actually running on two pups from this litter, one of each sex. And I have chosen already. Choosing the bitch floated for me for the first 3 weeks from any one of the 4 stunning show potential bitches. None of the 5 bitches have any disqualifying faults, all lovely, however of course they all have their virtues and faults. One in particular is a stand out in type and temperament. She is an absolute cracker and I can't go past her.

The male was harder, The one I chose at birth, floated away from and back to at around 2 weeks of age, only yesterday I finally moved away from again. It pains me as he is the male pick conformation wise. He is an outgoing and confident puppy a real enrichment seeker, but he doesn't have quite enough work ethic and temperament for me. So only yesterday I swapped to another puppy. He will be going into a lovely pet/part time show terms home, so I can see him mature and collect him later on.

Over the next week I will be finalising which puppy is going to which home. They all have obvious temperaments and type which isn't changing much because it is a line breeding and none of them have gone off.

I am very pleased with the whole litter.

As soon as I am ready to put in registration in a couple of weeks I will announce the litter theme and puppy names :thumbsup:

The puppies had their second Bowen therapy session this morning. All are doing extremely well.

My Bowen therapist brought along his magnificent old boy, Huck (who is son of my beloved girl, Dyzney who passed away in November.

Huck is the third outside dog the puppies have met. He spent at least half an hour outside with them just fluffing about.

post-27202-0-54513100-1461376286_thumb.jpg

post-27202-0-47188900-1461376296_thumb.jpg