How Would You

At the moment my husband and I are discussing the possibility of selling up and moving house, our house is quite small and having a third child has just made it that much worse.

Our biggest concern is the fact we have five dogs, where we are now it's never been a problem, I have lived in this house since 1997 (did move out for a bit as a teenager) and know all the neighbours extremely well, which meant they were all happy to sign the paperwork for us to get an excess dog permit.

Now this scenario got me thinking if you had to move house and were forced to give up any of your dogs (of course this would be a last resort) how would you chose which ones?

Would you pick based on the ones you had first, the ones you have the strongest bond with, the ones that had the strongest bond amongst each other or the ones that were the most rehomable?

Any other thoughts?

Please don't jump to the conclusion we are about to give up our dogs and we can't extend this house to stay where we are.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age would probably be the biggest factor . I don't think it's fair to rehome an older dog who has lived with me their whole life . Younger dogs tend to be adaptable and more rehomeable as well . I also would be reluctant to rehome a dog with chronic health problems . I would worry It wouldn't get managed correctly in a new home .

Bond and personality would also come in to it . If I had two dogs of similar age and health but I particularly loved one I know who I would pick . You do bond closer to certain dogs . I have a female cairn terrier who is 10 years old who I love but don't feel particularly close to . She is very independent and aloof and those type of dogs seem to not agree with me . I like the sort of dog whose whole body wags in excitement when the family comes home . I like a sort of dog who likes to come up to you and rest his head on your lap due to love and closeness . The only time she particularly seeks me out is for dinner time lol . My other cairn who is a boy and slightly older is just the opposite . Wants cuddles and is such a happy go lucky little boy . Not particularly bright though lol .

And my lab puppy is just adorable .

If I was faced with needing to rehome one I would rehome ( or send back to the breeder ) our lab puppy . He is young, gorgeous and adaptable . My cranky old female cairn deserves to remain in her home for the rest of her days . Even if I already feel I am building a closer bond with my lab .

Edited by Dewclaws

I think you spoke about re-homing one of them before bub came along too - if so - I'd put that conversation back on the table too. (If I have you confused - please ignore me)

Hope this doesnt sound too harsh - but there's no point holding onto one which is causing trouble - if you know what I mean - please no one jump on me for that wording - not sure how to express it properly.

Out of curiosity - how many is "excess". Could you possibly re-home 2 as a pair (yes I know that's a tough ask - but it's another possible combination / option)

Edited by Scottsmum

Speaking only for myself & not telling you or anyone else what they should do ... if the present house is too small, I'd build on so both humans & dogs can be accommodated.

We've done that over recent years & have friends presently doing it now. But, like all things, it comes down to the individual circumstances.

Speaking only for myself & not telling you or anyone else what they should do ... if the present house is too small, I'd build on so both humans & dogs can be accommodated.

We've done that over recent years & have friends presently doing it now. But, like all things, it comes down to the individual circumstances.

OP did say can't renovate - or words I took to that effect :(

OP did say can't renovate - or words I took to that effect :(

Notice I started my post , 'speaking only for myself & not telling anyone else what they should should do'... & then described what I'd been able to do. I finished my post by underlining the point .... 'it comes down to the individual circumstances'. Thereby leaving any judgments off the OP who has to look for other options.

Over the last few crappy years I've actually had to contemplate this with my three and it was really tough. Saxon is the most easily rehomable as he doesn't have any problem behaviours and would fit in to just about any type of home but he is also the oldest (only 6.5 tho, not old), super bonded to me and would have been the easiest for me to take into whatever housing situation I ended up in.

Riley would struggle the most with rehoming, he's a weirdo that has lots of personality quirks and can be dog reactive so I wouldn't have wanted to rehome him, for his sake, but also he's never been an only dog and relies heavily on Saxon and Quinn so if I had to only have one I really don't know how he would cope.

Quinn would be ok to be rehomed but she would be too much dog for an inexperienced owner, would need someone prepared to adjust their household around her as she can open cupboards, fridges, doors, possible gates and jump fences, and she likes to be the boss of other dogs so personalities would have to be matched. Plus she's my special girl and I adore her :o

So in the end my choice was I will sacrifice anything else I have to if it means I can keep all three, which I have.

BUT I'm only me, you have a whole family to consider so it's different. In your case I would go with the ones that would cope best with rehoming, regardless of my own feelings, as hard as it would be :(

I don't think I ever could either. No judgement to OP or anyone else who has ever had to make such a hard decision. I can't imagine how hard it would be to decide in real situations.

I'd do absolutely everything else first before giving up my dogs. Incl. temporary fostering them elsewhere or with family members.

If I took it the "most rehomeable" way, it would be Henry. He is Pretty aloof, very low maintenance and I am not as attached to him- I love him, but as a dog I inherited he is just not mine and never will be. However, he is the oldest, now 7, and has health issues. Nothing serious or requiring medication, but he does need regular chiro/ physio visits to keep him moving well.

Deniki would not cope being away from me. He's a bit of a special one and doesn't like other people much.

Kokoda would probably be ok too, but it would kill me. And he also has luxating patellas and is a bit crazy. Gecko obsessed, a landscaper and loves swimming a bit too much embarrass.gif so not sure how others would put up with him laugh.gif

ETA: I am lucky too that in cavaliers there is generally no shortage of people wanting to adopt one. The cav qld rescue has a long list of great homes. So I think breed adoptability would come into question too if I owned multiple breeds

Edited by denali

I think you spoke about re-homing one of them before bub came along too - if so - I'd put that conversation back on the table too. (If I have you confused - please ignore me)

Hope this doesnt sound too harsh - but there's no point holding onto one which is causing trouble - if you know what I mean - please no one jump on me for that wording - not sure how to express it properly.

Out of curiosity - how many is "excess". Could you possibly re-home 2 as a pair (yes I know that's a tough ask - but it's another possible combination / option)

We were looking at rehoming our poodle his breeder found a suitable home but at the last minute they decided they wanted a puppy, my daughter was born two weeks early so everything happened at once. When I came home with my daughter he was the one that bonded to her instantly so we've been trying to make it all work.

My hopes are we can find a place and not have to give anyone up however most councils won't allow 5 dogs and even if we stayed with the same council different area I would have to get all the surrounding neighbours signatures.

We have considered building a brand new house and applying for the permit while there were minimal neighbours but the only places locally we would consider are both cat free estates so I would have to give up our cats so still a huge dilemma.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

We were actually put in a situation where we had to rehome one of the dogs.

We chose to rehome our girl Lucy as she was the least problematic of the two. She was the older of the two, but still a very young dog, very biddable and so easy to train and good natured with all dogs.

Dozer was not the dog I would have kept if it was solely my choice, but we wouldn't have felt comfortable in rehoming a highly dog aggressive, nurotic, idiot dog with a number of food and contact allergies.

Lucy ended up in a good home and Dozer's still with us with all his quirks.

My dogs are Rascal 7years ( I would never let him go he's our only foster failure)

Astro turning 5 (he wouldn't leave my side while pregnant)

Claudia turning 4 (she is my princess and probably also my kids favourite so we couldn't let her go)

Hugo the poodle ( naughty but very bonded to myself and my daughter)

Chloe just turned 1 (I love living with this girl she is loud and spunky, just had patella surgery and I can't imagine her not in our lives, also due to her being such a barker she could potentially end up going from home to home)

I think you spoke about re-homing one of them before bub came along too - if so - I'd put that conversation back on the table too. (If I have you confused - please ignore me)Hope this doesnt sound too harsh - but there's no point holding onto one which is causing trouble - if you know what I mean - please no one jump on me for that wording - not sure how to express it properly.Out of curiosity - how many is "excess". Could you possibly re-home 2 as a pair (yes I know that's a tough ask - but it's another possible combination / option)

We were looking at rehoming our poodle his breeder found a suitable home but at the last minute they decided they wanted a puppy, my daughter was born two weeks early so everything happened at once. When I came home with my daughter he was the one that bonded to her instantly so we've been trying to make it all work.My hopes are we can find a place and not have to give anyone up however most councils won't allow 5 dogs and even if we stayed with the same council different area I would have to get all the surrounding neighbours signatures.We have considered building a brand new house and applying for the permit while there were minimal neighbours but the only places locally we would consider are both cat free estates so I would have to give up our cats so still a huge dilemma.

I thought it was you that had a big few weeks - baby, leg surgery on one of the dogs... etc :)

Multiple pets sure makes hard / big decisions even harder. If we ever moved from here to Auckland (which is probable) we'd need to apply to have more than one dog in most districts of Auckland so I suppose that's another reason to stay with our singleton. Anyhow that doesn't help you in your decision making process.

I suppose the old "move further out" suggestion doesn't help? Could you / would you go semi-rural?

My dogs are Rascal 7years ( I would never let him go he's our only foster failure)

Astro turning 5 (he wouldn't leave my side while pregnant)

Claudia turning 4 (she is my princess and probably also my kids favourite so we couldn't let her go)

Hugo the poodle ( naughty but very bonded to myself and my daughter)

Chloe just turned 1 (I love living with this girl she is loud and spunky, just had patella surgery and I can't imagine her not in our lives, also due to her being such a barker she could potentially end up going from home to home)

I was coming from the angle that if you had any real oldies about maybe delaying your decision until they pass away but seeing yours are relatively young, unfortunately, that suggestion is no help.

My understanding is that they are 5 small dogs. I would be moving and saying nothing to anyone. Then if there were complaints you could explain the situation to council and neighbours (especially the impact the loss of the dogs would have on your kids) as you have here - perhaps find a sympathetic ear on the council - and do a deal not to replace any dogs that you lose until you are down to the permissible number. A similar situation happens when people move into nursing homes. They are sometimes allowed to take pets with them but on the understanding that once those pets have passed they won't be replaced.

ETA I realise that I am not really responding to the OP but the thread seems to have moved on and basically what I am saying is that I would not be re-homing any at this stage.

Edited by sarspididious