How Would You

First on, last off for me.

I'd keep the oldies as they'd be less rehomable and rehome the younger dogs.

If I had purebred and crossbred, I'd look to breed rescue as in some breeds they have wait lists for older dogs. So the purebreds would go first.

Option B is be upfront with the new council, seek the permits for being over numbers and make it clear that those over numbers wouldn't be replaced when they went.

Or move to NSW where maximum numbers are largely not part of council regulations.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that they are 5 small dogs. I would be moving and saying nothing to anyone. Then if there were complaints you could explain the situation to council and neighbours (especially the impact the loss of the dogs would have on your kids) as you have here - perhaps find a sympathetic ear on the council - and do a deal not to replace any dogs that you lose until you are down to the permissible number. A similar situation happens when people move into nursing homes. They are sometimes allowed to take pets with them but on the understanding that once those pets have passed they won't be replaced.

ETA I realise that I am not really responding to the OP but the thread seems to have moved on and basically what I am saying is that I would not be re-homing any at this stage.

Risky tactic - Aside from breaking the council by laws :D You risk peeving new neighbours and making an enemy of the rangers... I mean worst case scenario you have to re-home down to the allowable number - which is what we're discussing here - but it's still risky ...Plus - wouldn't you have to register them - which basically means you've either got to not register them / or some of them or dob yourself in upfront.

Thanks for so much input we thought we'd be in this house for many years to come never expecting to have anymore kids, had I known I wouldn't have got the last two dogs.

Unfortunately we are limited to how far we can move due to both our jobs.

I have my own business grooming and many clients I'm on their second and third generation of dogs, my husband loves his job and works for our best mate so very handy when there's kids to think about.

I guess we will look for the biggest block we can afford ( still would be less than an acre) and hopefully be able to get away with having all the dogs it just depends on what council it is.

My dogs are Rascal 7years ( I would never let him go he's our only foster failure)

Astro turning 5 (he wouldn't leave my side while pregnant)

Claudia turning 4 (she is my princess and probably also my kids favourite so we couldn't let her go)

Hugo the poodle ( naughty but very bonded to myself and my daughter)

Chloe just turned 1 (I love living with this girl she is loud and spunky, just had patella surgery and I can't imagine her not in our lives, also due to her being such a barker she could potentially end up going from home to home)

I was going to suggest you get references from your current neighbours in order to persuade any new neighbours to allow you to keep all your dogs. Until I saw the bolded bit...

You could be lucky and end up with neighbours willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Chloe may be the spanner in the works though.

My understanding is that they are 5 small dogs. I would be moving and saying nothing to anyone. Then if there were complaints you could explain the situation to council and neighbours (especially the impact the loss of the dogs would have on your kids) as you have here - perhaps find a sympathetic ear on the council - and do a deal not to replace any dogs that you lose until you are down to the permissible number. A similar situation happens when people move into nursing homes. They are sometimes allowed to take pets with them but on the understanding that once those pets have passed they won't be replaced.

ETA I realise that I am not really responding to the OP but the thread seems to have moved on and basically what I am saying is that I would not be re-homing any at this stage.

Risky tactic - Aside from breaking the council by laws :D You risk peeving new neighbours and making an enemy of the rangers... I mean worst case scenario you have to re-home down to the allowable number - which is what we're discussing here - but it's still risky ...Plus - wouldn't you have to register them - which basically means you've either got to not register them / or some of them or dob yourself in upfront.

I assume they are all registered already and the OP is not planning to move far so presumably the same council. My post is what I would do. Maybe not for everyone but I could not rehome any of my dogs and I don't mind living dangerously. :) The OP is assuming the worst case scenario. The new neighbours may not care less about the dogs or even notice how many there are so why worry until it happens. Anyway I will bow out now.

Edited by sarspididious

This is a possibility although the chances of staying under the same council are pretty slim. I do have a way of keeping all the dogs registered and trying for a three dog permit but if I had any nasty neighbours we still could end up having to rehome.

Chloe is quite vocal although I don't allow her to bark continuously and she gets crated during the night, I have never had a dog that likes the sound of its voice so much, she is just over 2kg and barks to play, for my attention, if the cats stare at her, if she finds a bug sometimes even at ants??? and often partway of our walks, I would hate to think in the wrong hands just how bad she could be.

post-2356-0-27583300-1457864419_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of all of them lounging around the decking, they are all so different and special in their own ways.

Oh gosh they are so cute!!!! And all little. You would be buying wouldn't you, not renting? That being the case, if you can manage keeping Chloe inside to keep barking from annoying the neighbors and can keep them all contained so they don't cause issues for the neighbours they are unlikely to report you to council. So might be worth just doing it and not registering them all to your address...

I had to be honest to both the property manager and council because I am renting and my three make themselves too obvious for the neighbours not to notice there are three, and I needed to provide the lease approving them to even register one let alone extras but you wouldn't have those issues.

Hubby and I decided we will rehome the more easily adoptable, stable tempered dog. Given Annie's recent behaviour I am not sure she would pass a behavioural assessment. As Taliecat stated with her dog, we would not feel comfortable in rehoming the neurotic dog with significant ongoing behavioural issues to someone else. Even if in our hearts we are developing a stronger attachment, and would be better suited to, a life with rusty the beagle - we might well be consigning our bonkers one to a short or miserable life.

It does hurt to make a choice which actually makes us sad and isnt actually the best choice for us - but is the seemingly best choice for both of the dogs overall.

I don't think I ever could either. No judgement to OP or anyone else who has ever had to make such a hard decision. I can't imagine how hard it would be to decide in real situations.

I'd do absolutely everything else first before giving up my dogs. Incl. temporary fostering them elsewhere or with family members.

If I took it the "most rehomeable" way, it would be Henry. He is Pretty aloof, very low maintenance and I am not as attached to him- I love him, but as a dog I inherited he is just not mine and never will be. However, he is the oldest, now 7, and has health issues. Nothing serious or requiring medication, but he does need regular chiro/ physio visits to keep him moving well.

Deniki would not cope being away from me. He's a bit of a special one and doesn't like other people much.

Kokoda would probably be ok too, but it would kill me. And he also has luxating patellas and is a bit crazy. Gecko obsessed, a landscaper and loves swimming a bit too much embarrass.gif so not sure how others would put up with him laugh.gif

ETA: I am lucky too that in cavaliers there is generally no shortage of people wanting to adopt one. The cav qld rescue has a long list of great homes. So I think breed adoptability would come into question too if I owned multiple breeds

I know exactly what you mean there. Some of my foster failures were surrendered dogs who became part of the family (like Sally and the Derper dog) and I'd totally consider them to be my dogs. But others, like Jelly and Spotty.. they failed assessment but just sort of stayed. Neither are dogs I'd pick for myself but I feel kind of stuck with them. As harsh as it sounds, they'd be the first to go if I had to make that decision.

I think block size is less important than good management, you can have a stimulated and engaged dog on a small block and a bored destructive dog on a big block. So much comes down to management and the personalities of the dogs themselves. And of course whether council and neighbours are ok but in the past I've had luck just writing a comprehensive letter with my management plan.

As to the OP I couldn't choose these days. Tried in the past when my parents couldn't look after the vallhund anymore I took her on even though my husky doesn't always get on with her. I was going to rehome the vallhund and keep the husky because huskies are already regulars in pounds. But the vallhund has her own eccentricities which makes her a less than ideal rehome candidate. so I gave up on that idea and just manage the two as best as possible and it's been fine.

I would say people should consider these things from the start ,dog limits happens in most places so I think one should always consider how many dogs and kids is workable .

Personally I don't see the reason a worthy one if one has lived in the house that long and new it was small

Showdog - Life happens... and I think its great we can have a really frank conversation about it.

We once took on a 4th cat - inherited her after a rellie died. Didn't realize 4 was / would be too many til after she was there.

Many years later one of the 3 remaining was PTS & my parents reported that with hindsight the house was a lot more realaxed even without the (more) neurotic 3rd cat.

Point is sometimes you don't realize what the situation is til you're in it. Life changes all the time. Id have never gotten a Scott if I thought for a second that 6 months later we'd be planning an international move....

Good on Rascal for being honest & asking for views - it might spark a solution.

Edited by Scottsmum

I would say people should consider these things from the start ,dog limits happens in most places so I think one should always consider how many dogs and kids is workable .

Personally I don't see the reason a worthy one if one has lived in the house that long and new it was small

Seriously??? Your obviously a pretty nasty person in real life.

Maybe I should have terminated the pregnancy and we could have gone on our merry way, would that have made you happier?

We have spent the last 20 years puting our dogs first, even before buying this house we rented crap places just to have our dogs, even now majority of our life revolves around them, I have even kept doing a job that's physically damaging so I don't have to leave them at home all day alone.

We could have paid our house off if we never had any animals or did so much rescue work so don't dare criticise me for the direction my life is taking.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

entirefourleggedcrew.jpg

Gorgeous Rascal. They are all small and I don't think council or neighbours would mind. It would be different if they were St Bernards. Council by-laws are there to stop dogs being a nuisance and I don't think yours would be a nuisance, even your barker, You say she doesn't bark all the time and it would be a little bark and inside your house. Don't worry just yet. Look after yourself and do what is best for your children.

Re Chloe the barker.

I re homed a 2 year old a few months ago. Very excitable, high pitched yap which she used to excess, especially when I let her out. Affectionate & friendly personality. Think she was doing it for attention & over excited with being bottom of the pack.

She went to a lady I have known for 10 years who is home all day & has another small poodle. I explained the barking & said she may be better with just one friend & not having to compete but if it was a problem to call me & I would bring her back home.

The dog does not bark there. The lady has phoned me about 10 times thanking me, telling me how happy she is & what a wonderful dog she is. So maybe Chloe would not bark in a different situation.

If new council won't give permission for extra dogs I would keep any old, problem or aloof dogs & re home the friendly ones that would bond with new people. If a dog loves you it can & will love someone else. They can be quite fickle. I cried so much I had to pull off the road coming home once after leaving a 1 year with a new owner. A days later she said its like he has been my dog forever. He didn't give a damn about me.

Aloof dogs are hard & not likely to be accepted readily because people expect affection from their dogs.

Unless the dog is young & I feel would be better off in a different environment I seldom re home & have only done it a few times as I cry so much & miss them much more than they miss me so I feel for you & hope you find a solution & way to keep them all.

entirefourleggedcrew.jpg

Gorgeous Rascal. They are all small and I don't think council or neighbours would mind. It would be different if they were St Bernards. Council by-laws are there to stop dogs being a nuisance and I don't think yours would be a nuisance, even your barker, You say she doesn't bark all the time and it would be a little bark and inside your house. Don't worry just yet. Look after yourself and do what is best for your children.

OMG do you know how loud a little dog can bark?? I mind having a little dog living next to me barking it's fool head off. I have one now.

they are all gorgeous Rascal :)

entirefourleggedcrew.jpg

OMG do you know how loud a little dog can bark?? I mind having a little dog living next to me barking it's fool head off. I have one now.

yes- there is a small dog and a husky at the next two houses along. Even though the small dog is at the house further away, her bark is so much more piercing!

Don't know how she does it. Sorry, OT embarrass.gif

Edited by denali

entirefourleggedcrew.jpg

There's barking and there's barking. All dogs bark sometimes and the OP's dog only barks for a reason and it is inside.

I have little dogs here now and they do bark at everyone who walks down the street and it doesn't bother me or my neighbours because I have asked them. I don't mind them barking because I have a hearing loss and I know they will let me know if someone comes on to my property.

A few years back a couple of rotti crosses lived next door and they were left outside and when they barked in the middle of the night it would wake me up feeling alarmed and frightened and that upset me. I also had a small dog living behind me who barked non-stop hour after hour because it wanted to be let in and that also annoyed me, especially if I was outside.

If your neighbour's small dog's barking is irritating you, perhaps the problem is yours. I don't mean this negatively because I have found neighbour noises (drills, saws, planes) upsetting in the past and I have complained to the council about them. After a course of antidepressants I have realised how the problem was largely mine and how difficult and unreasonable I was.

If your neighbour's small dog's barking is irritating you, perhaps the problem is yours. I don't mean this negatively because I have found neighbour noises (drills, saws, planes) upsetting in the past and I have complained to the council about them. After a course of antidepressants I have realised how the problem was largely mine and how difficult and unreasonable I was.

While that can be the case I don't think its unreasonable to expect a degree of quiet in your own home.

We have a little, high pitched barker over the back fence and it drives me insane, I don't think this is my issue, I think the neighbours need to get off their bums and walk him more or let him in more.

Dogs who bark at every little thing near me drive me mad!

Rosie barks at next doors mower and I hate it so I don't leave her out when they mow. I'd feel like an ass if I didn't.

While that can be the case I don't think its unreasonable to expect a degree of quiet in your own home.

We have a little, high pitched barker over the back fence and it drives me insane, I don't think this is my issue, I think the neighbours need to get off their bums and walk him more or let him in more.

Dogs who bark at every little thing near me drive me mad!

Rosie barks at next doors mower and I hate it so I don't leave her out when they mow. I'd feel like an ass if I didn't.

Sorry OP but I am going Off Topic. I also bring my dogs in if they are outside barking. The dog behind me that used to bark for hours and annoyed me enormously has passed on. He was elderly. I now wonder if he had dementia. I also used to find small children screaming in shopping centres so annoying that I had to run away from them, even once leaving a half drunk cup of coffee behind me. I did some research (Dr Google) and came up with hyperacusis, especially as I have had surgery for an acoustic neuroma. After my course of antidepressants I am still sensitive to screaming children but I don't have to run away any more. I just take a deep breath and tell myself that I am okay and it is not really hurting me.