Fear Reactive Dog

Hubby and I need to go to a funeral in the next couple of weeks, currently waiting on time and place information. I now need to have someone come in and look after the animals while gone (not just dogs). The issue is the outside dog (Myf) is what I would describe as fear reactive. No issues with us, or any of the animals. She gets walked daily and very quiet on lead, no issues there. However her go-to reaction if she gets unsure is fear and aggression. She takes days to warm to someone new, and seems to have moments when she has a brain fart and suddenly remembers that the person patting her is someone new and she doesn't know if she should like them. Especially tall men with deeper voices. We live rural, so she doesn't necessarily see lots of new people, but we haven't had any other dogs with this issue either, it seems to be her default setting. Apparently her mother was very similar.

I'm going to ask a friend to come and check the animals daily, and feed etc, but not sure how they will go. The problem is if she can't get in the house yard, the other dogs, cat and fish won't get fed. I think that it can work if my friend doesn't try and dominate Myf, just baby her along with lots of treat, but wanted to see if there is something I can give her other than a sedative to take her anxiety levels down? Is there a additive that she can have in her food that will help her settle? I have been working with her by getting strangers (to her) to come and have a good experience with her, and she has settled quite a bit, but it's just shitty timing now and I need to up the pressure. I don't want to undo all the work we have done.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I'm guessing that we have around a week to get her comfortable with the visitor.

Edited by piperspal

Could you possibly have someone actually stay Instead the stress of coming and going daily? With an overlap between them arriving and you leaving ie they stay the night before you go in the morning? It might upset her a little less and she hopefully won't forget that there is a stranger visiting.

I do that with mine and while as soon as I was gone she was a suspicious hover, there was no barking etc like if the person had let them self in without me

Otherwise some kind of confinement with tossed food might be in order as you want to have everyone including the Carer as safe as possible :/ could you hire temporary fencing to make a safe corridor for Carer to feed other animals?

Edited by Thistle the dog

I would also consider boarding the dog. at least then you know myf is confined properly, can't hurt anyone, and every one else can be tended to without hassle or worry. If she stays home you risk a person getting hurt and all the other animals being without care. It also removes her from being able to practice her behaviour on home turf. Especially if it's only for a few days she can stay in a kennel run that can be hosed through, and fed without anyone having to touch her. Yes it might be stressful on the dog but better than possible alternative IMO.

It's a tricky one.

Thanks for the replies. We do have a small dog pen that she could stay in at a pinch, or the other alternative is a chain and runner. Not fussed on that one as I worry about the pup getting caught in the chain. She hasn't had her kennel cough vacc so a kennel is out, it's too short a time. My usual house sitter is working in Darwin, so that's out. I spoke to a friend who said she can do it, she was supposed to come over today to start getting her used to her coming and going, and didn't show. If she doesn't come tomorrow I will go to plan b, not 100% what that is at the moment.

If the friend doesn't end up doing it, I will ask another squint acne who is actually a retired dog trainer, he has ( or his dog does rather) national titles in obedience. He's not in town at the moment for me to ask tho, he should be back in the next couple of days tho. One of the reasons I'm not too worried if the first friend doesn't do it is she has already said she will bring her dogs down. I've told her not too, but I know she will. Aside from the fact it will just inflame the whole situation, she takes her dogs everywhere, alice is rife with parvo at the moment and I don't want it here. I think I will just ask this other guy and see what he says, have him as backup.

Thanks Scottsmum, the location doesn't show up in mobile view. :)

I was going to suggest boarding Myf at a place which is reportedly very good with fear aggressive dogs, but your location and her lack of vaccination rules that out.

Like Snook, I'd go straight to Plan B. Your friend is brushing off the seriousness of Myf's behaviour (and parvo) which could result in tragedy.

I re-read your initial post and see you've asked about additional things that might help her be calm. I don't know if the ADAPTIL collar is suitable for human agression, but it might be. Best ask your vet first in case it is contraindicated.

Thanks guys. Apparently she missed my text back last night saying it was fine to come over, and didn't want to intrude while all the drama of the funeral is going on. I did talk to the plan c guy, and he has said he will come and give her a hand if required. They know each other so all good there. She came down today and it went pretty well, only one meltdown by the dog when my friend went to pick up one of her toys. Otherwise she was accepting pats (coming up for them by herself) and taking treats. So it went better. Worst case, they take the pup to one of there houses (we got him Friday before all this went down) and they can access the house through the side door and throw food out the window at her until we get back. Looking to be gone 6 days so it should work. Fingers crossed.