Is Dog Training Regulated?

This is a memorable (for me at least) post from this forum.

From a'whisperer' who was around at the time offering help to rescues.

In my experience with dog Psychology it seems he first started to dominate , when the growling started definitely a warning if she moved he would have attacked her, you did what you had to do,

Next time if this happens stand your ground and walk into the other dogs space slowly without fear be calm, as soon as you see it back away you are taking its power away if that does not work poke the dog on the neck with the same intensity its showing, eg, if its at level 5 poke with 6 or higher, like other dogs do to each other with out anger or fear because dogs will reflect that.

You must be the dominate one at all times with your dog, and make sure you never show poor thing affection to your dog in these experiences because it will nurture its instability or weakness and insecurity and will associate other dogs and that area of your walk as a negative experience, best to keep walking and move on. I have worked on many cases to educate human on the right energy and body language to use. Like sky said walk with confidence and it will reflect on her let go of that experience and move on

Pity his website is gone now but there's lots still around. Just google a few of Caesar's keywords.

In answer, like huski said. Absolutely nothing to stop anyone.

what's the purpose of this quote with unknown source?

You need help to see what people are being advised by unqualified trainers? Translation; next time, to pre-empt an attack, you and your dog just confidently step into the aggressive dog's space and poke it in the neck.

Here's context for you My link

Oh such memories!

Wow - way to go NZ...

Closest we've got are council rego discounts for desexed dog, microchipped and "trained" - which has a bunch of very simple criteria like being able to hold a sit while another dog walks by on lead at an appropriate distance. To come when called from some huge distance like 10m - you get three tries...

I've got the list somewhere. It was considered equivalent to a pass at grade 3 level at our dog club. And they could issue the certificates.

My current council doesn't even have a dog club. So not much training going on around here. And I cannot persuade people with little dogs to stop them from harassing big dogs. Or how bad it is for my dog as part of the little dog pack - to go harass the big dogs too. Ie the big dogs don't take the little ones seriously but my dog - different story.

Wow - way to go NZ...

Closest we've got are council rego discounts for desexed dog, microchipped and "trained" - which has a bunch of very simple criteria like being able to hold a sit while another dog walks by on lead at an appropriate distance. To come when called from some huge distance like 10m - you get three tries...

I've got the list somewhere. It was considered equivalent to a pass at grade 3 level at our dog club. And they could issue the certificates.

My current council doesn't even have a dog club. So not much training going on around here. And I cannot persuade people with little dogs to stop them from harassing big dogs. Or how bad it is for my dog as part of the little dog pack - to go harass the big dogs too. Ie the big dogs don't take the little ones seriously but my dog - different story.

It's funny we've had life time rego in NSW for ages now - so long I thouught we were going back to the dark ages when we got here and I had to have Scottie registered annually - then I got to thinking - if the annual rego can 'force' this kind of thing to be an attractive incentive then that's not such a bad thing. It also helps create a culture of pets being looked for and looked after - not such a set and forget.

I've never once had my dogs rego questioned in NSW - since annual tags went out the window - yet over here you DO NOT see a dog out & about without it's tag on (unless it's out on its own having adventures). (in my limited experience)

I wont even start on the whole "oh hes so cute" when a little dog is a menace...

Edited by Scottsmum