Elbow Callous

I'm off to the vet today for yearly check up but thought I'd ask here too. My boy has a callous on one elbow. Sometimes it looks faintly pink but other times it looks quite inflammed. I guess depending how often he plonks down on the pavers. Whats a good product to use to help with this?

Thanks

Hey there!

This happens regularly to my dogs. I rub coconut oil/medicinal manuka honey on the area and cover with a couple layers of vet wrap. Manuka honey helps inflammation/infection and coconut oil is used when the skin is just rough and the hair is gone. There are other 'butters' or things you can buy online for things like this to although I have just used what was already in my cupboard (namely the above) and that has worked :)

You just have to be sure its a callous and not something else! an inflamed callous may need to be drained by the vet depending on whats going on there.

Edited by jezebeldobe

Hey there!

This happens regularly to my dogs. I rub coconut oil/medicinal manuka honey on the area and cover with a couple layers of vet wrap. Manuka honey helps inflammation/infection and coconut oil is used when the skin is just rough and the hair is gone. There are other 'butters' or things you can buy online for things like this to although I have just used what was already in my cupboard (namely the above) and that has worked :)

You just have to be sure its a callous and not something else! an inflamed callous may need to be drained by the vet depending on whats going on there.

Thanks

Off to the vet today so he's getting thoroughly checked out.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you go with this?

Have a similar thing on a Neo Mastiff. Off to the vets in the morning but hoping it is nothing major. Ironically it became inflamed after she came into my care and had a proper bed and mattress for the first time in her life.

If it is just a hard surface callous (in a dog that is probably ignoring three outdoor beds and a houseful of furniture to doze on concrete SIGH) then Bag Balm (ask at your chemist or stock feed supplier) will soften and then heal it. The hair will regrow.

Here is a link from a happy Bag Balm user.

Vet says it is a Callous Pyoderma. Gave her a cortisone shot and antibiotics. At a worst case scenario it is actually in a good place for surgery as it is on the outer of her elbow. Going to research other methods of treating it now that we know it isn't a tumor or anything more serious.

Will attach pictures.

post-25642-0-44986400-1459386042_thumb.jpg

Have your Vet check them out and see if they are infected etc. and need treatment or simply hardened skin.

If your dog simply won't lay on soft bedding it's a hard one but just keep chucking beds like the Snooza Futon out there, I like the Snooza Futon because they're cool in summer and warm in Winter and any dog through here has always gravitated towards them.

Edited by sas

Has anyone noticed that once you try to soften the elbow callous and they go back out and onto bare concrete, that it's actually worse because the hardened skin is not there as protection?

Yep. Exactly what has happened for us. The hardened callous wore off and became infected instead.

Has anyone noticed that once you try to soften the elbow callous and they go back out and onto bare concrete, that it's actually worse because the hardened skin is not there as protection?

I tell Dane people to stop doing this all the time, it's formed for a reason.

Thanks to you both. :)

That's what I suspected. The few big dogs I've had, I ended up just leaving the callous to re-harden because even when they spend most of the time sprawled on the lounge, you just need one ridiculously hot day perfect for sun baking on the concrete to really come up with sore pointy little elbows :o