Two Female Dogs ?

whiskyshaver

Bull breeds get highly stimulated very fast, rough play escalates and then its on!

Bitches do not back down.

Once they have fought, if either survive they never forget , so you would then have to separate for life.

your behavior to them will make no difference as to which would be the most dominant.One will push it or wait for their moment and if the other doesn't back down you are screwed.

Get a male pup, and desex the older girl.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All 3 of my current dogs are male :) My previous female who passed away 2 years ago was dog aggressive, but more likely to get along with males in the household (she was OK with my own dogs, but didn't like anyone else). I love my boys :) I haven't decided whether my next dog is going to be a female or another male yet.

Does anyone have any dominance issues with their male dogs ? Or is there much of a difference in handling them ?

Not entirely sure what you mean by "dominance issues". But to answer your second question - it's been just over 16 years since I had an entire male (cattle dog) - and he was a huge sook - especially compared to the bitches. Since then I've had (well, had and currently have) desexed males - on the whole I find them more even tempered and chilled out compared to bitches.

They don't call them bitches for nothing. :D No way would I have two bitches together, it's a recipe for potential disaster.

Desex the older girl too, otherwise she will have every male coming around to get to her, and being a mixed breed already, you will end up with a litter of who knows what.

Definitely go with a Male puppy, and if you're' getting an Amstaff, make sure its from a registered breeder and comes with papers, with BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) you can't be too careful with bull breeds. It's their word against yours if you have no papers unfortunately.

I haven't found any dominance issues with male dogs, but I sure have with my female. :laugh:

Males are less dominant than females I find rofl1.gif My girls are more likely to say "eff you" and smirk at me than my boy, who is ridiculously biddable.

Love how you put it! So spot on. :)

Exactly the same when we had a female & a male sheltie, the boy was nicknamed Saint Danny & the girl The Mouth from the South.

Since then we've always had 2 female tibbies at a time & they've been good with each other.

Only tibbie girl who was bossy with the other, at first, was one the breeder warned us considered herself Queen Bee. A few strongly said 'Downs' fixed that.... not because we were brilliant trainers... but in a pet situation, she loved affectionate human attention & not stern words.

Best thing, tho', was she kept up her whip paw for the tibbie boy next door who teased the girl tibbies ... like pulling them up the garden by the tail just for fun. He tried once with the bossy girl... she tipped him over & stood on him with a look that said your life won't be spared next time. From then on, he was terrified witless of her & she didn't even have to do anything.

I've had such a different experience! My girls work like stink for me. Run through fire type of work. And very, very devoted. The boys have been sweet and good but haven't given the level of sharpness that I get from the girls. Other people could work the boys but not the girls.

I haven't had issues with having 2 girls but I would also suggest boy/girl pairings to be safe.

All 3 of my girls have been not friendly with outside dogs. The boys have been more tolerant.

Not really sure about the breeds you mentioned, as I guess some dogs do require more thought out pairings.

I have only ever had Rotty bitches, never had a problem with them together to date. We did consider the potential problems, however nothing ever unfolded and my oldest Greta welcomed the playmate with open arms. Greta since passed and I have Samantha the (the playmate for Greta at the time) and we have now since got another pup Ella, good company for Samantha.

Fingers crossed no issues,all good so far as Samantha just adores Ella.

At least if in the future there are any issues, we can separate them, as we have a front yard and back yard, but I don't envisage any issues, but never say never.

Ray

If you want another bitch, get one, and manage them appropriately so they don't have issues. I have two entire females together but they don't run loose together 24/7 - I would say with 99.9% certainty I would have some issues as the youngest came into maturity if I let them run together all the time. I have no issues now and don't expect to, I can have them loose together without issues. But I wouldn't loosen my management at any point.

Opposite here. I have kept up to 5 girls over many years, entire when young & desexed later, & only ever had 2 dogs that fought about once every year or so. That started at about age 3 when one thought the other one had her puppies.

Wasn't a major or dangerous problem. Otherwise they have all lived, run & played together marvelously.

Entire boys together are a different story. Doesn't work here. Maybe as I have entire girls. They will growl or get snappy with each other when a girl is in season & also mark territory inside in the same space so I seperate them inside but they can be outside together peacefully when I am home. Have had to break up an odd fight, the old male is quite dominant.

If your dogs are all desexed I don't think it matters. They are not conscious of being male or female really without the hormones.

There will be a few spats or fights initially no matter what you get. Someone has to be boss & they have to sort it out. Usually its minor but it does depend on the personality of the 2 dogs more than the sex of them.

I think that everyone who is posting here about their successes with multiple females in the household have had their dogs in very different context to the OP's. The OP is talking about having two bull breeds, who are outside only dogs, whose purpose is to guard the property.

Edited by raineth

Exactly!

With all due repect, the op doesn't know Huski is a trainer, and other posters don't have bull breeds.

In the situation described i would not suggest 2 entire bull breeds left alone to sort it out.

Exactly!

With all due repect, the op doesn't know Huski is a trainer, and other posters don't have bull breeds.

In the situation described i would not suggest 2 entire bull breeds left alone to sort it out.

After saying *I* hadn't had a problem I did suggest a male/female pair.

And the only reason I have 2 girls is because my male died so it wasn't a planned thing.

We have entire bitches .

They are managed, as are the entire dogs - so that they are not left alone to their own devices.

once , we had a bitch kill an older bitch, many years ago -- when we were away - totally our fault . That day we lost two dogs :(

if you are wanting to leave two bull breed type bitches together ... I would advise against it .

Oh - and a desexed dog or bitch can make perfectly good watchdogs!!

My best watchdogs have been my little dachsieX bitch ( desexed) and my bordercollieX male (desexed) I always felt perfectly safe with my boy ... I lived in the city - would walk him often in the very early hours ..would happily snooze in a botanic garden /park - knowing no one would get close .

He once had a parcel delivery man against a wall , after the man unnecessarily came through a closed gate into the backyard .

This same dog used to visit nursing homes, and interact with disabled children ...

As someone who has experienced same sex aggression between females I would not risk it! My 4 year old ended up KILLING my 13 year old. She also attacked my submissive 2 year old. There was no forewarning, she just decided she wanted to be the only bitch in the house one day.