Tetanus Shot After Dog Licked Open Wound?

KerryTy

I know many doctors will give tetanus shots after a dog bite. But what if a dog licked a open wound?

I had a deep paper cut (the paper was clean and brand new) and before I could bandage it up my dog, who's laying next to me, casually gave it a few licks before I can pull my hand away. The wound was bleeding after the lick but it was deep and very narrowly thin, very similar to the wound condition when they gave you tetanus shot (deep punctures). I put on hydrogen peroxide, let it fizz up and then a bandaid over it.

I haven't had a tetanus shot for over 10 years as when I had it when I was little I had an allergic reaction to the shot. So I've never had it since.

Is tetanus shot really necessary after a dog bite? I've heard tetanus bacteria lives in oxygen-lacking environments, if so then a dog's mouth should be well oxygenated that the tetanus bacteria won't be able to survive? I'm just really confused, plus if tetanus can be caused by dog bite, then what happens during a dog fight? I don't see vet giving dogs tetanus vaccine? I don't want to get a tetanus shot but if really needed I might get the immunoglobulin, which I don't know if I will have a reaction to or not as I've never had it.

Plus I have an oversea conference to attend in a few days, so having an allergic reaction is the last thing I need.

Edited by KerryTy

tetanus is a bacteria found in soil and manure - so if your dog didn't eat soil / manure before licking your hand an infection with tetanus is highly unlikely; however, dogs salvia can carry other nasty bugs...

Well she's an indoor dog, and no she does not have a habit of eating soil or poop. In fact she will keep as far away as possible from her own poop lol, and I don't live in farm so no horse or cow manure in the fenced backyard. Not long before she licked me she drank a lot of water after a game of fetch indoor, which I hope will help clean her mouth a little. I put some betadine on the wound just now after showering and planning to leave it exposed in the air while sleeping, don't want to put bandaid on overnight.

So the reason why they gave tetanus shots after dog bite is because they assume all dogs eats manure or soil? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought tetanus bacteria are everywhere, not just in soil?

Edited by KerryTy

I'm not actually sure they do give a tetanus shot as standard practice in Australia in this day and age, especially after a one off incident if you have already been vaccinated. Tetanus is far from prevalent in Australia...I could be wrong though.

Anecdotally I've had broken skin bites and scratches from dogs, cats and native mice over the last five years or so as well as regular licks to cuts and scrapes from my own dogs, with my most recent tetanus vacs being 24 odd years ago before going to south east Asia, and I have not had Tetanus.

If you are worried I would call the doctor tomorrow.

Edited by Simply Grand

I have had dog scratches and puppy nips before too but they were mostly surface wound that bleed a little, which I know won't cause tetanus as its so shallow and easy to clean. If I remember correctly, I last and only tetanus vaccine I had was about 16,17 years ago, wasn't fully vaccinated at that time either as only had one shot due to allergic reaction.

If it weren't for my upcoming conference I might get an immunoglobulin, but I really don't want any possible allergic reaction to ruin my trip and plans, since I'm allergic to quite a lot of medication eg penicillin.

Will ask the doctor tomorrow as I'm going in for my blood test result, but I don't know whether I should get the shot if the doctor suggest it.

Ah, ok allergic reaction makes a difference. Talk to the doctor and explain you have had an allergic reaction to the vac before, allergic reactions to vaccinations can be because of other things in the vaccine rather than the bacteria itself. The doctor may be able to prescribe a course of antibiotics other than penicillin to take just in case of tetanus or other infection before you go away.

But really, as far as I know the risk is very low in Australia.

Edited by Simply Grand

I'm pretty certain that you are unlikely to have contracted tetanus in the situation you describe...

I've been known to let my dogs lick my wounds with no adverse effects - in fact my old girl (now deceased) appeared to have miraculous healing properties in her saliva, even though she had a copraphagic habit... errr!

T.

During the one of the American wars (Independence/civil ?) it was noted that dogs that licked the soldiers wounds were the ones that healed quicker and better.

Edited by oakway

Yeah I have heard people say that dog saliva can cure wounds, that's why they lick themselves when they have a wound. But I just want to be on the safe side, that's why I put loads of hydrogen peroxide and betadine. The wound is little sore this morning and a little red around, but this happens to all my wounds before, so I think it's just normal reaction. No fever etc. To be honest, after hearing all of yous, I'm more worried now of allergic reaction from any sort of injections than the wound itself causing tetanus.

I doubt it very much .

It is routine here for dogs to find and lick our scratches/cuts etc ...our dogs are outdoor dogs. We were always told by my Grandpa as little kids to let the dogs lick our gravel rash/cuts to make them heal better - so yes, I've been doing it for over 50 yrs .

get some silver impregnated bandaids ..and use on the cut . Paper cuts hurt way more than should be legal!

Really if you've had a tetanus shot ever in your life, and you're a regular healthy person then you should be well and truly covered by the one you've had. Once it's in you it doesn't disappear or need topping up. Mostly it's given as a "let's cover all the bases" kind of thing when it's likely not necessary at all.

For normal healthy people small cuts and scrapes are good for us in a way. It is a small insult to our immune system and keeps it active.

If you are immune compromised or could not be fully immunised for some reason then that's different.

To add..... I'm a dog groomer and my hands are always covered in tiny nips and nicks and I pick snot and poop and all sorts of delights of dogs all day long as well as get weed on by them and licked a lot on my hands and face by dogs. I haven't had a tetanus shot in well over 20 yrs and I have to say I'm pretty healthy as well. I attribute that partly to getting constantly bombarded my lovely germys all day long. It keeps my immune system active and busy and strong!

I thought all GP's said you need to re-dose every ten years as the vaccine lose the effectiveness after that long. Plus some people say dog's saliva contain the tetanus bacteria which I'm unsure of. But yeah I haven't had the full vaccine and yet I'm still alive after countless cuts and scrapes I've endured during the past 16 years or so, some even without any first aid!

I'm clumsy and share a house with four dogs and three cats, so I'm always covered in cuts and scratches. I've also stood on two nails (not at the same time) and I never got sick, even though I didn't receive a tetanus shot.

The only time I've ever had a problem following some sort of wound, was when our now deceased rooster punctured the skin on the top of my foot with his spur. I didn't bother to wash it out, but some nasty bacteria must have got in, because within a couple of hours my foot was red and painful, and I ended up being diagnosed with cellulitis.

And yet all statistic that shows how tetanus have been reducing over the past decades was due to the widespread of vaccines. I think proper wound care should be more important. Since vaccine are not 100% effective. There are even some well vaccinated people that get tetanus!

I thought all GP's said you need to re-dose every ten years as the vaccine lose the effectiveness after that long. Plus some people say dog's saliva contain the tetanus bacteria which I'm unsure of. But yeah I haven't had the full vaccine and yet I'm still alive after countless cuts and scrapes I've endured during the past 16 years or so, some even without any first aid!

What do you mean by you haven't had the full vaccine? If you had a shot when you were 16 you have had the full schedule.

Ok the doctor say I don't need the immunoglobulin as they only give it for very severe wounds. She say it's good I apply first aid asap but did prescribe me some antibiotics just in case it gets infected. So relief :)

What do you mean by you haven't had the full vaccine? If you had a shot when you were 16 you have had the full schedule.

I mean you know how you need multiple shots for complete covering? I only had one