Tetanus Shot After Dog Licked Open Wound?

KerryTy

If you had the shot in your teens, you would have had the full adult dosage... Tetanus is not a series of shots like with Hep B or Rabies...

The smart move is definitely to make sure you don't get any other sort of infection in the wound, as that could lead to nasty things like cellulitis or septacaemia, which are not fun at all!

T.

The bacteria that causes tetanus needs an anaerobic environment to grow so open wounds are generally not a problem, compared to deep and/or soil contamination and/or puncture wounds.

The problem is that the wound is starting to heal from both ends as its a very narrow wound (imagine the thinness of paper). But I think the hydrogen peroxide I put on yesterday should remove any bacteria within the wound from all the fizzing

I've been scratched by feral kittens & my dogs have licked scratches that I've gotten whether from wire or a graze or whatever and aside from the usual swelling I haven't had any other ill effects. That's just me personally though, I'm always getting scratches & cuts from my clumsy ways embarrass.gif

I would suggest that your main concern would be infection but not from tetanus so just keep it clean & continue with the betadine :)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

***I'm not a doctor though!!! Just personal experience***

Dr Google says it is a series of shots and you should have a booster after 10 years.

I've had 2 boosters as an adult after being bitten.

The Australian schedule is a series which starts in infancy. The final one in the schedule is given at 15/16 years of age.

Boosters are in addition to the recommended schedule.

if you have a compromised immune system - yes - good first aid is essential .

Most weeks I can look at my hands/arm and see rose thorn holes/barbed wire scratches/skin off from a collision with a brick wall corner or tree , and a couple of other blood spots - origin unknown ;)

have had a booster tetanus shot for dog bites a couple of times ...

hope all heals well.

Tetanus is an awful disease . . . though rare. It's worth keeping up with the decadal booster schedule. I'd say the chances of getting tetanus from a dog licking a wound is near zero, but it might be a good excuse to get a booster if you're due anyway. Your own case is something to discuss with a doctor, however.

About ten weeks ago I received a fairly severe dog bite, wide scrape and slight puncture. Dr said as it's a few years now since I had a tetanus shot, preferred I get a booster. Interestingly there is a shortage of it in Vic at present and many Dr's surgeries including mine were out of stock and couldn't get supply. Dr referred me for a shot to the nearest hospital, as apparently hospitals have supply whereas not all medical centres/Dr's surgeries do. I haven't got around to it yet and the bite has healed up well thanks to paw-paw ointment, will do it soon, this thread is a good reminder, better safe than sorry and all that.

I had a tetanus booster after a particularly deep nasty bite from a feral cat on my leg, that was around 20 years ago. I have had more cate bites/scratches and maulings than I care to remember.

One was two deep punctures from the claws of my cat into my hand when he got a fright once, washed ot etc, next morning one finger and half my hand were swollen, by the time I got to the doc at 11am four fingers, half a thumb and my whole hand was swollen and discharging. I couldn't move one finger as the claw had damaged the tendon sheath. I got two different antibiotics but didn't get a tetanus booster as I had had one within 10 years nd it was not a wound likely to cause it.

A bit of dog spit on a paper cut no matter how deep, is just about impossible to get anything, However if you are worried get a proffessionals opinion.

I would wash my hand, clean it and put a bandaid on.

I had to have a tetanus shot when I stabbed my toe on a piece of metal. And when I was bitten by a dog a few years later, the doctor asked me if I had had a tetanus shot recently.

But when my daughter was bitten by a dog last year, the doctor never mentioned it. The same doctor also said antibiotics weren't necessary.

I'm kinda grossed out that people willingly let their dogs lick their wounds... :vomit:

:laugh: :laugh: Dogs will find them.

zackly.

I do not do 'doggie kisses' , or have dogs sleep in my bed , or let them clean used plates etc after my meal . The odd lick on a wound is not a problem :)

Dogs will find them.
Yeah... but I don't hang around my dogs with open wounds... Although I have Shibas and they aren't lickers so that probably helps. :o

Gross off topic, Loki can hunt down a festering toenail from miles away. There is an old homeless? guy who wanders about my area. He wears thongs and his toenails are overgrown and a festy green/yellow. Loki is in love with his feet, so much so that I won't let him within metres of the guy.. :vomit:

I wouldn't worry its very unlikely.

I had a shot after was bitten by a dog as a kid but I'm pretty sure these days they say the ten year booster isn't even really necessary.

Really? 18 months ago I was bitten on the hand by a mare protecting her foal. The first thing I was asked when presenting at emergency was when was my last tetanus shot?

Yes, I agree tetanus is unlikely in the OP's scenario, but it shouldn't be taken lightly. It is a serious bacterial disease which is easily preventable. I have seen tetanus in a neighbour's horse about 25 years ago now, it wasn't a nice death :(

I wouldn't worry its very unlikely.

I had a shot after was bitten by a dog as a kid but I'm pretty sure these days they say the ten year booster isn't even really necessary.

Really? 18 months ago I was bitten on the hand by a mare protecting her foal. The first thing I was asked when presenting at emergency was when was my last tetanus shot?

Yes, I agree tetanus is unlikely in the OP's scenario, but it shouldn't be taken lightly. It is a serious bacterial disease which is easily preventable. I have seen tetanus in a neighbour's horse about 25 years ago now, it wasn't a nice death :(

That's what a Dr told me about a year ago. Something about one or two shots over a lifetime providing immunity?

I agree it's better to be safe than sorry though. I've recently had a whooping cough jab which included tetanus so should be good for a while .

Edited by Dame Aussie