Best Bed For Extra Large Dogs

Dame Aussie

I've tried the Snoozer type beds for mine but they won't go near them - luckily I was able to return them to the shop !

Mine like to sleep on their backs so they need something to support them - a couple of leather sofas off Gumtree got the nod of approval :)

2015-07-07%2018.29.20_zps4jrz7xsz.jpg

Snooza D1000 or Snooza Big Dog Beds are fabulous although pricey - but you do get what you pay for with Snooza.

Kazoo do a gigantic raised bed.

T&S Patio Beds come in a really big size.

Pity you're not near us or you could bring him in to try a few :-) There really are a lot on the market so just worth going into a few places - try some indepedents as we try to offer different from the chain store types.

Sags

:)

And with Snooza you get a free repairs service + lifetime guarantee (you have to register for this. Bonus, they send your dog a birthday present every year). The initial price is expensive though.

For single beds, check out your local salvos or brotherhood for discount ones?

another vote here for snooza.. they really are excellent and their repair service is equally as excellent.

H

My guys are the beneficiaries of my retail therapy the day after Mac died - can highly recommend Orvis - brilliant and the waterproof covering over the foam inserts is wonderful - but might be pretty 'spensive for such a big fella!

The other 'closer to home' alternative is Henrie Hottie - my guys love them - they are fantastic beds - cool in sumer and warm in winter. And Michelle is really helpful and accomodating (even when I didn't realise (grief-pickled brain) the custom size I was asking for was so close to standard in hind-sight I wondered why I bothered! She must have thought I was crazy!). embarrass.gif

I've tried the Snoozer type beds for mine but they won't go near them - luckily I was able to return them to the shop !

Mine like to sleep on their backs so they need something to support them - a couple of leather sofas off Gumtree got the nod of approval :)

2015-07-07%2018.29.20_zps4jrz7xsz.jpg

Great photo sparky - and I thought mine were spoiled! laugh.gif

Aww I love seeing pictures of Mo :D

I don't have a snooza bed, but the reason for that is that I thought they went quite flat? That's what I heard and why I decided not to get one.

I have a hand-made bed from a lady who farms alpacas, so that's not very helpful for you, sorry. It is 150 cm long, and poor Del's head still falls off the end if she really wants to stretch out. But what I most like about it is that it is very cushy, and very warm in winter.

Other than that we managed to get this absolutely enormous wicker basket second hand. We have a layer of Yoga mats on the bottom and then cushions above that. I have spent a lot of time online trying to find another that big, but I've never managed it sadly. I've not even come close :(

Other than that I have been hearing very nice things about the Henry Hottie beds.

Edited by raineth

Was going to say Henry Hottie! Or Snooza D ones.

Otherwise the big outdoor cushions that pop up on Catch of the Day with a doona on top to soften the noise.

Key is getting something that has good support for those joints - so quilts on the floor won't make the grade - and something raised as it's a long way down for them!

I use a Snooza Cudler at the moment but in the past I went to Clark Rubber and got a single foam mattress and had them cut a chunk off the end. On top of this I had doonas which I had stuffed into an inner (homemade) and then a cover on it that could be removed for washing. If you go down a path like this then check out D & D Dog Coats on FB as she has been making bed covers (and is/ was a DOLer).

I got a single foam mattress from Clark Rubber for Billy (lanky Greyhound). I have it folded in half so that it would fit in the loungeroom and he just fits on it. At $50 it was cheaper than their dog beds and much bigger.

I'm thinking of getting him another one to sleep on in our room. He prefers to be in there with us at night and won't fit on the bed with us. So far he's been sleeping on the floor, but it's going to get too cold for that soon.

The good thing about using a single mattress is that it's easy to get sheets to cover it and quilts, blankets, etc. for extra warmth from op shops, etc. and when they inevitably get trashed it's not a big deal to toss them out and replace them.

I got a couple of foam single mattresses from gumtree / freecycle when Tess was in need of them. Didn't cost me anything except a cheapy doona cover from Kmart to cover them in. Might be an option too look at.

Edited by MadWoofter

I gave up trying to find a bed that fit all requirements and have started buying different bits and pieces and putting them together. Idiot Dog's bed is currently a Four Seasons Durabed in size XXL (115cm x 96cm) which has a gel/memory foam dog mat added to it under the cushion (just a 5cm thick one, to soften it up a bit for his joints) and the bed itself sits on four layers of vetbed.

He's a very tall, leggy grey but it gives him plenty of room to stretch out and feels soft but not excessively so. The only issue is that it's a tripping hazard (I trip over the raised sides at least once a day) and it takes up a lot of floor space.

post-19844-0-05041900-1459388823_thumb.jpg

And he still manages to sometimes roll out of bed when roaching :/