Tick Preventor

Having to do a tick parade each night at the moment. All dogs are being brilliant about it (I think they're enjoying the relief of loosing the ticks) and between the 3 dogs, I'd only be getting about 20 ticks, but I would love a preventative. What's people's recommendations?

Having to do a tick parade each night at the moment. All dogs are being brilliant about it (I think they're enjoying the relief of loosing the ticks) and between the 3 dogs, I'd only be getting about 20 ticks, but I would love a preventative. What's people's recommendations?

Been giving my guys Nexgard for 18 months now & love it...not a sign of a tick :)

if you looking for a repellent: Advantix ...all the other ones administered as chews require that the ticks bite first and get poisoned while they suck...downside of Advantix is that it works only 2 weeks against ticks (4 weeks against fleas) and is a little bit messy to apply, especially for dogs with long coats.

Does it really repels the ticks? ...since we use it she never had a tick, but obviously that's not a real scientific evidence.

You could also look at collars, however, they are heavily loaded with chemicals and you have to make sure that the dog is not chewing on it.

Edited by Willem

if you looking for a repellent: Advantix ...all the other ones administered as chews require that the ticks bite first and get poisoned while they suck...downside of Advantix is that it works only 2 weeks against ticks (4 weeks against fleas) and is a little bit messy to apply, especially for dogs with long coats.

Does it really repels the ticks? ...since we use it she never had a tick, but obviously that's not a real scientific evidence.

You could also look at collars, however, they are heavily loaded with chemicals and you have to make sure that the dog is not chewing on it.

Just a warning ... please read the warning on the label and the product information . Advantix cannot be used on or around cats.

What I found handy when I checked my dogs every day was letting them swim in the dam, wet coats made it easier to see ticks. Dogs loved the swim and I found the ticks.

One of the reasons I moved here was because we don't have ticks!

At that time I had a Blue Healer and a Lab, they went everywhere together, the lab got lots of ticks and the healer hardly got any.

Edited by gillybob

One of the reasons I moved here was because we don't have ticks!

At that time I had a Blue Healer and a Lab, they went everywhere together, the lab got lots of ticks and the healer hardly got any.

That's fascinating. Do you know if this usual for ACDs? It sounds like it could be a natural adaptation for Australian conditions back when tick preventatives did not exist.

dog can develop immunity against ticks - if they are exposed to a small number of ticks, allowing the ticks to engorge for only a short period, they will develop immunity which can be increased by slowly increasing tick numbers and period. That is how laboratories harvest serum against tick paralyses.

So if you walk your dog every day and it gets just the right numbers of tick bites, and you remove the ticks after the walks, there is a good chance that the dog will become immune respectively will develop cutaneous immunity that will hinder tick attachment. Body size and weight of the dog will play a major role - if the dog is too big, respectively there are not enough ticks or time of attachment is too short, the immunity will be compromised. Conversely, too many ticks and too long attachments might kill the dog.

The problem with this immunity is that it fades out pretty fast if the dog is not exposed to ticks anymore, so the procedure for developing this immunity would have to start from scratch.

• 6 months later...

I use Bravecto and since the first chew when I moved north to severe tick country, I have not had any issues on any level with this product. I have breeding dogs so nexguard is not an option for me.

Hi Angelsun, is the nexguard not an option for your breeding dogs that are female or all of your breeding dogs?

Cheers

Another option could be nexguard and then spray with permoxin before walks. Permoxin is an insecticide so kills on contact. Moreso used on horses, but onlabel use for dogs. Really economical. I've used permoxin to kill wasps (only thing I had available) so can attest to it's insecticidal ability.

I have found the horses may still get a tick or two, hence suggestion to combine with something like nexguard. I use nexguard and don't find any ticks, but do consider spraying as a back up if we go into tick country, vs our usual walks on maintained paths.