Item About Victoria Stilwell

persephone

Sure it would hurt like hell... but she ain't getting any sympathy from me for putting herself in that situation. As a self professed elite dog trainer, she really should have had at least an inkling that shit could go to hell in a handbasket in a noisy confined space with strange people around. And it could have been a whole lot worse...

T.

Sheesh, she's still human, though! Shit still happens even to the best of us.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand the scenario.

Was the police dog being sent into the helicopter to extract a 'bad guy' (wearing a bite suit) or

Was the dog being sent into the helicopter to practice travelling to a job (in which case SOP should have required the dog to be muzzled)?

I still don't understand the scenario.

Was the police dog being sent into the helicopter to extract a 'bad guy' (wearing a bite suit) or

Was the dog being sent into the helicopter to practice travelling to a job (in which case SOP should have required the dog to be muzzled)?

...I guess it was similar like this: http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2012/10/17/3612730.htm ...in this clip the handler kept the dog on the leash, but I also read that it is standard to use muzzles for transport in planes / helicopters.

To me it just sounds like an overstimulated dog in a new situation that was very reactive . All involved judged the dog wrong .

I think her original message was harsh to judge the handler , but I imagine she was in pain and shock and probably thought they should have known their dog better .

But she has apologised .

She has also acknowledged these are working dogs , so the training and temperament is going to be quite different to fido down the street . I think her biggest mistake was to treat this dog like fido down the street .

Harsh lesson for her, harsh lesson for the handler .

Ultimately a storm in a teacup because she seems to be happy to accept it as a learning experience .

The end .

From what I have read she put herself in a stupid position, wouldn't listen and wouldn't allow them to have prong or remote training collars on as she wanted people to think these dogs were positively trained only.

I think she is another with very little idea. I did research her a bit and yeh, didn't instill much faith that she has much idea what she is doing

...you must admit her choice of working boots when walking / training dogs is second to none :D (maybe people would take her more serious as a dog trainer when she would wear at least footwear suitable for the job and if she would get her hands dirty...)

...and yes, it is pretty hard to find something on her site that has some value regarding dog training: lots of words, but at the end it comes down to copies, general phrases, links to other sites ...wasted my time there...

Edited by Willem

What did she actually do wrong? Trust the handlers and trainers when she shouldn't have? If handlers and trainers told me it was safe to sit in the helicopter I probably would have believed them too. I might have then looked at the revved up police dog and thought 'oh shit' but it would have been too late then.

She isn't a police dog trainer. From watching her shows (and I did watch quite a lot) I can't even recall a heap of aggressive dog problems. It was things like dog pulling on the lead or counter surfing. Just pet problem stuff. I can't remember her ever saying that a dog should be put down I quite liked her and her boots :laugh: Oh and she had her own dog training business before the TV show.

A sensible post.

The poor woman was bitten and i am sure she was frightened and is in pain.I am sure she is not the first dog trainer to be bitten; mistakes accidents can happen to anyone.

I watched her shows. She did not want to have dogs put down;there were a couple of dogs i thought it may have been the only option but she worked with the owners

to manage and contain their obviously well loved pets so they would never be a danger to anyone.

I like her and have one of her books,not that i agree with all her methods but she has helped a lot of people and dogs.

She posts on her popular blog that she's been bitten during a cocked up training session...and keeps going on about how much it hurts and how she's got to take painkillers, etc... then wonders why people are having a go at her stupidity. Surely this is not the first and only time she's ever been bitten by a dog?

Funnily enough,if this had happened with a pet dog she'd been asked to come help sort out, she'd be advising euthanasia... I've seen her show once or twice, and her attitude seems to be that if she can't sort whatever the issue is, then the dog in question should be put down... *sigh*

T.

The anti-positive training brigade have loved this incident. If you have a human aggressive dog and the issue can't be sorted out by a professional trainer in a short period of time then advising euthanasia *is* the responsible thing to do.

I don't understand how the anti-positive training brigade is seeing this as a win for them, as the dog that bit Stilwell wasn't trained by her? Presumably it was trained using correction collars and the like, as most police dogs are?

I don't understand how the anti-positive training brigade is seeing this as a win for them, as the dog that bit Stilwell wasn't trained by her? Presumably it was trained using correction collars and the like, as most police dogs are?

I can't see that this accident is linked in anyway to the adopted trainings methodology - whether the dog was 'positive only' trained or not, what difference would it have made?...it was wrong judgment of the setup from all the 'experts' involved, nothing to do with the trainings methodology.

And why would anyone be gloating that someone got bitten? I'm not a CM fan but I wouldn't want to see him chomped.

He gets chomped more often than he'll have anyone believe... lol! The wonderful power of editing only makes it seem like he never gets bitten...

T.

And why would anyone be gloating that someone got bitten? I'm not a CM fan but I wouldn't want to see him chomped.

He gets chomped more often than he'll have anyone believe... lol! The wonderful power of editing only makes it seem like he never gets bitten...

T.

????...he never made a secret out of this...(the internet is full with footage where he gets bitten)...he says it's part of the job...

Edited by Willem

...you must admit her choice of working boots when walking / training dogs is second to none :D

I saw an interview somewhere with her, and she said that the Dom outfit was because the producers liked it - would not have been her first choice for every day dog training wear.

Jamie Oliver said in an interview that the producer insisted he wear jeans and slide down the banister rail every time - to the point he was going through a pair of jeans per episode...

Sometimes producers or directors "tweak" things for TV.

...you must admit her choice of working boots when walking / training dogs is second to none :D

I saw an interview somewhere with her, and she said that the Dom outfit was because the producers liked it - would not have been her first choice for every day dog training wear.

Jamie Oliver said in an interview that the producer insisted he wear jeans and slide down the banister rail every time - to the point he was going through a pair of jeans per episode...

Sometimes producers or directors "tweak" things for TV.

...in our club suitable footwear is mandatory during the trainings sessions...so no thongs ...and of course no high heels - perhaps CM would get more acceptance from the VS supporters if he would also wear 'VS dog training boots' during his shows :D