Kibble Recommendations Please

juice

I feed the VIP too. It does seem to be the kibble mine do best on. Last time I switched to a more expensive brand out of the guilts there was a noticeable drop in coat condition and Poppy got itchy ears even though the new food was also gran free.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She recently had her last litter, and was rather rotund when i picked her up!

I just had her desexed aswell so don't want to put her through too much at once ( she had rather a bad desexing ( reaction to anesthetic ).

She could still do with dropping some more weight, and because i havnt seen her at her best yet its hard to judge.

just looking online and it seems i can get VIP in bulk like that, no idea how much it is in woolies, so need to go look and compare.

I just went down to the Warehouse - which is kind of like a cross between Big W and Kmart - but better - and dog food was on sale at 20% off. I nearly died - all the VIP was gone :(except for two bags safely hidden away up the very very top. Had to get a guy to get it down - so I got both bags. We're kibble rich for a few weeks now. :) It's the only place I've found VIP - I pay a pretty price for it - but as I've said - it's our preferred food.

PS - just looked it up on the woolies website - the 3kg bags are on sale this week but the 7kg bags still work out better value @ $30.60 per bag.

PS - just looked it up on the woolies website - the 3kg bags are on sale this week but the 7kg bags still work out better value @ $30.60 per bag.

...just saw it, that's - on sale price - $ 0.46 / 100 g...the Applaws is (on sale price) 0.50 / 100 g...the Applaws is - on paper - slightly higher quality; we use both (I don't want to rely just on one kibble) and she likes both.

I just buy the small bags as I like it to be fresh. I was buying small bags of the super premium kibble at $35+ a bag so my wallet is rather happy with $15!

Yes - I buy the smaller ones as fussy bum goes off it after its been open "too long".

Fortunately for me I can only get the 3kg bags over here.

I just buy the small bags as I like it to be fresh. I was buying small bags of the super premium kibble at $35+ a bag so my wallet is rather happy with $15!

Yes - I buy the smaller ones as fussy bum goes off it after its been open "too long".

Amber too. I get glared at.

We just stop eating.... we can go up to 4 days before Mumsy gives in.

Good to know who's boss eh?

We just stop eating.... we can go up to 4 days before Mumsy gives in.

Good to know who's boss eh?

Last time we missed a meal we ended up at the emergency vets, so can't be skipping meals here!.

She spits it out too. Took me a while to work out that the issue was when the bag was getting near the end. She isn't an enthusiastic eater at all, except she likes her tinned l/d.

Yeh Jules - in more recent times he's started getting a really off belly if he skips a meal and as I said - I have had to make a trip to the vet for AGs. More than 24 hours without a decent meal and I entice him / force him into a meal of mince and yoghurt or something equally yummy. It usually only takes him a few mouthfuls to remember that he's hungry.

Little bugger.

Also - odd that she likes tinned I/D. Yuck. :)

I suppose after feeding raw for so long, and getting good results , even people commenting on how good they looked when i changed to it i am reluctant to go to kibble again. :(

But if its what she is used to i think i will get a bag of VIP and let her settle more and see how we go.

Do i need to still do the boiled brown rice he was giving too or is it just a filler? can i just give extra meat and kibble?

She loves the roo mince, scoffs it up , unlike the chicken mince which she takes her time on. I like roo as its so lean.

Your right the rice is just a filler. Add a bit extra of something else. Mind you some dogs "have" to live on chicken and rice and do well.

Best of luck with it.

I got a bag of VIP , and gave her a couple of cups of it with the mince ( 350g),and the bowl was clean in minutes! i just need to work out how much she needs, as with her mum belly its hard to judge how rotund she really is. Lots of dangling floppy skin after desexing.

I will carry on with the VANS with my cattle dog as hes fine on it.

Can someone please post a link to the VIP food?

Recently switched my old dog to ProPlan Senior and he's not that fussed on it. But my GSD does best on ProPlan Sensitive. Every time I've tried changing, we've come back to ProPlan. (He came from his breeder on ProPlan Breeder, maybe that has something to do with it.)

Can someone please post a link to the VIP food?

Recently switched my old dog to ProPlan Senior and he's not that fussed on it. But my GSD does best on ProPlan Sensitive. Every time I've tried changing, we've come back to ProPlan. (He came from his breeder on ProPlan Breeder, maybe that has something to do with it.)

http://www.vippetfoods.com.au/product/natures-goodness-grainfree/

It comes in 7kgs bags too,($30) they have it at our local Woolies.

I bought the smaller bag first just to be sure and its lasted a couple of weeks giving 2 cups a day with the mince.

They are usually fed raw and they get switched to kibble if we go on holidays, or they are left with their dog sitter, and as treats in their kong wobblers.

I feed in a rotation, i always go the grain free varieties because of Henry. Who is allergic to a few grains. But i am not really brand loyal at all :laugh:

• Black hawk is good. Though i wasn't super happy with their coats, they did seem to dull- mainly Deniki, but i do like that its an Aussie brand.
  • I do love Earthborn, they all do well on it, especially the fish variety.
  • Also, they really liked Sunday Pets. The biscuits are really large, like 5cm x 2cm like a dog treat. Possibly why they loved them :laugh: though i only used the one large bag of SP on the three of them, so i wasn't sure how their coats would be long term. Over 3 weeks we didnt see a change for the better or for worse.
  • Artemis osopure i have used, they all liked it, even Deniki who is a fuss pot. But i did only get the small bag because it was half price and it was a minor part of their diet, so am not sure of the quality :)
  • i have also used taste of the wild in the past on Kokoda- he had that and ziwipeak for a large portion of his younger years and his coat was fabulous.

The VIP unfortunately didnt agree with Henry- his coat went very dry :(

The others were fine though :)

This rambling may or may not have helped :laugh:

Edited by denali

It comes in 7kgs bags too,($30) they have it at our local Woolies.

I bought the smaller bag first just to be sure and its lasted a couple of weeks giving 2 cups a day with the mince.

Ah so their website is out of date. Thanks!