Great Dane Easter Show Choice Irks Successful Breeder

Sheridan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very bizarre...managed to access article...

BOSS, the “supreme grand champion” great dane, is not a happy puppy. Nor, it seems, is his owner.

In a Royal Easter Show upset, Boss — who has accrued more than 1000 competition points in the run-up to the show — only scraped into second place in the intermediate dog category of the Great Dane Competition yesterday.

He was beaten by a rank underdog, Rithpen Pride Not Prejudice, who only has a mere 100 points to his name and, unlike Boss, has never appeared on the Today Show with Karl Stefanovic.

Boss’s owner Michael Taggart, from Maitland, made it clear he was less than impressed with the decision, gesturing towards the judges and yelling: “You’ve got to be kidding.”

Showgoer Heather Vagulans, from Sydney’s Picnic Point, was among hundreds who witnessed the dummy spit by Mr Taggart, who owns several prize-winning Great Danes.

“He was not happy at all. He was pointing his finger, yelling at judges and shaking his head,” Mrs Vagulans said. “We were stunned. He was extremely cross.”

Rithpen Pride Not Prejudice’s owner Pip Davis said established dog owners are sick of newcomers behaving badly.

“I’m not going to hold back — Michael is a bad sport,” said Ms Davis, who is the Great Dane Club of NSW show secretary.

“He rolled his eyes and shook his head in disgust. A friend told me. I was going to look over at him but I was too busy cheering.

“It’s a regular thing for him. Michael did not breed his dog. I’m proud of the dog I bred.

“I imported his father’s semen into Australia.”

The Royal Easter Show Great Dane competition is the pinnacle event for the breed. Pooches are judged on lips, coat, and if they “flow across the ground evenly and rhythmically”.

It’s also big business: a drop of Rithpen Pride Not Prejudice’s semen sells for about $3000.

Mr Taggart did not respond to claims he had shouted towards the judges, but earlier in the day said he was glad today’s event will not have the same judge.

“It is all very subjective, unfortunately,” the 30-year-old said. “The judge is from England and we will have someone else tomorrow.

“I suppose just as everyone likes a different car, so everyone likes a different dog.”

On the back of their busiest day, the Royal Easter Show continued to attract massive crowds, with more than half a million guests pouring in over two days.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I had a pat and cuddle of Boss on Saturday... I must say he is a gorgeous boy... and his owner was more than happy to allow interaction and to talk about him with anyone who stopped to chat. The owner of the dog that beat him wasn't as accommodating I found... I actually was a bit disappointed about that, as he was also a stunning dog...

I've always found that the Royal can be a bit hit or miss with both exhibitors and juudging... a bit like the Melbourne Cup, where literally any horse in the race could come up and win... lol!

T.

Its not just poor sportsmanship its just plain bad manners. I understand people being upset because they don't win and even going home and having a quiet spit about it to their family but to actually do this type of thing is disgusting and all it does is make them be seen for who they are.

Sadly the dog world has more than its fair share of bullies and bad mannered losers,

I had a pat and cuddle of Boss on Saturday... I must say he is a gorgeous boy... and his owner was more than happy to allow interaction and to talk about him with anyone who stopped to chat. The owner of the dog that beat him wasn't as accommodating I found... I actually was a bit disappointed about that, as he was also a stunning dog...

I've always found that the Royal can be a bit hit or miss with both exhibitors and juudging... a bit like the Melbourne Cup, where literally any horse in the race could come up and win... lol!

T.

It's a very long day for the dogs. There were times I had to stop letting people pat my Dalmatian at the Melbourne Royal as I could see he was exhausted and still had to go back in the ring (he has done showing, agility and obedience over several years). It's difficult for people to realise but literally hundreds of kids and adults want to interact with him and his welfare is my first priority. He's a very tolerant and photogenic dog but I can see in his eyes when he's had enough. The same thing happens when he is on the Club stand at events - people don't respect the "he needs a rest" comment or even follow me when I'm trying to toilet/walk him.

I can fully understand resting the dogs, and not making them available for pats by all and sundry all day long... but the owners could make a bit of an effort to engage with the public sometimes. Sitting with backs to the crowd and pointedly ignoring everyone can be a bit offputting, and I heard a few people commenting on "snobby show dog people"... at least Boss's owner was happy to engage with the public, and if Boss looked like he was up for it, bringing him forward for interaction...

T.

I'm siting with my back to the crowd. It is so cramped today it's the only way 3 of us can sit down, with our knees all pointing in together. We are still answering questions but give us a break. Been up since 5am and won't be home much before 7pm.

The Royal is a hard slog like no other show - I've stopped going because it's incredibly expensive, the facilities are poor and dealing with the public can get a bit much. People who interrupt you when you've finally managed to sit down and eat, people who don't take a polite "no I'm sorry" for an answer, people who don't even ask before they pat your dog or try to feed it something....I'm doing the Dog Lovers Show again this year but it's easier because I'm not competing AND I'm allowed to leave the building and get out for a bit. The Royal requires exhibits to be benched all day.

At the Dog Lovers Show, we deliberately design our stand so that we can put a couple of crates away from the public, to allow the dogs to have some down time. And we rotate the dogs.

Zeph and I will be there Friday and Saturday

I'm impressed -- maybe unjustifiably so -- that a judge gave BOB to a relative outsider. I've never understood how a judge picks #1 among a lot of extremely good dogs . . . all of whom have their strong points and weak points. Seems arbitrary to me . . . and often weighted in favor of the safe option . . . giving the win to the dog who has previously won the most.

Hard to imagine lawyers getting involved. Boss' owner must be a very bad sport. Guess it's not beyond imagination that there was some funny business going on and he has a case.

He is a bad sportsman and a rude arse. Who cares how many points they have. A dog with zero points may well be a stunner who has never been shown before that day.

Sd to say I have seen this often in Whippets and had people pack up and leave and not coming back in for class, runner up or in show awardsbecause of a 2yo tantrum and dummy spit.

You may not agree, but suck it up, shut up and use your god damned mnbers!!!! Shits me no end.

Arrogant arsehole

I'm impressed -- maybe unjustifiably so -- that a judge gave BOB to a relative outsider. I've never understood how a judge picks #1 among a lot of extremely good dogs . . . all of whom have their strong points and weak points. Seems arbitrary to me . . . and often weighted in favor of the safe option . . . giving the win to the dog who has previously won the most.

Hard to imagine lawyers getting involved. Boss' owner must be a very bad sport. Guess it's not beyond imagination that there was some funny business going on and he has a case.

Wasn't the owner or handler also the secretary of the Dane club? not really an relative outsider if so?

T.

You might have just been there at the wrong time to say hello to the other dog/owner. The Royal is such a long day and very very noisy in the pavilion all day. Dogs/owners do need to take breaks. I was there on the first Saturday with my dogs. We took turns and rotated the dogs around so that the dogs and owners could have some down time but there was usually at least one of our breed up front for the public to meet. If someone wanted to say hello to one of the dogs taking a break, it would have been 'no, sorry, not right now'. Some may think it rude, but it is what is best for the dog. Also for me! After answering question after question for hours on end (Pyrenean mountain dog, about 60 kilos, from the Pyrenees mountains in France, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, no they only eat about as much as a border collie, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, 60 kilos, not they only come in white, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, no they don't eat that much for their size, 60 kilos ..... yes we do that all day and at about that rate of reply too ROFL!) there were times I needed to sit in my chair and close my eyes and ignore people for a while (can't leave because we have to look after the dogs ..). The show is sensory overload and when you are up from before 4 in the morning, at some point you need to take a break.

As for the goings on, I can't comment as I wasn't there when it happened. Whatever happened it is very unfortunate all round, but perhaps best highlights two things - always be a gracious loser and save the venting for the car ride home, and always remember that you are the public face of all purebred dogs and dog sports and you never know who is listening, or what they may hear/how they will hear it (which may or may not be what was meant when it was said).

And you are right on the judging. The Royals are always a bit of a wild card when it comes to who wins and who doesn't.

Edited by espinay2

T.

You might have just been there at the wrong time to say hello to the other dog/owner. The Royal is such a long day and very very noisy in the pavilion all day. Dogs/owners do need to take breaks. I was there on the first Saturday with my dogs. We took turns and rotated the dogs around so that the dogs and owners could have some down time but there was usually at least one of our breed up front for the public to meet. If someone wanted to say hello to one of the dogs taking a break, it would have been 'no, sorry, not right now'. Some may think it rude, but it is what is best for the dog. Also for me! After answering question after question for hours on end (Pyrenean mountain dog, about 60 kilos, from the Pyrenees mountains in France, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, no they only eat about as much as a border collie, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, 60 kilos, not they only come in white, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, no they don't eat that much for their size, 60 kilos ..... yes we do that all day and at about that rate of reply too ROFL!) there were times I needed to sit in my chair and close my eyes and ignore people for a while (can't leave because we have to look after the dogs ..). The show is sensory overload and when you are up from before 4 in the morning, at some point you need to take a break.

As for the goings on, I can't comment as I wasn't there when it happened. Whatever happened it is very unfortunate all round, but perhaps best highlights two things - always be a gracious loser and save the venting for the car ride home, and always remember that you are the public face of all purebred dogs and dog sports and you never know who is listening, or what they may hear/how they will hear it (which may or may not be what was meant when it was said).

And you are right on the judging. The Royals are always a bit of a wild card when it comes to who wins and who doesn't.

Perhaps because of the international judges.