Dog Selection

Camdi

We are wanting to chose a dog for our family and need help We have certain requirements however do not a breed in mind. Requirements are - size small to medium, we have children youngest being 10 yrs old, we live in a rural area on 7 acres so prickles are a problem we don't want daily grooming, but exercise isn't. Would prefer a dog that sheds minimally. don't want barking dog. The dog will be alone during day while we are at work & school. The dog will be allowed indoors.

Any assistance in breeds we should consider would be appreciated.

First ones to come to mind are Border Terrier. They are a sturdy all rounder with a bit of a wiry coat but not so much that prickles would be a real issue. ( I lived on a 30 acre prickle farm so I know !)

Others would be the Australian Kelpie, Australian Cattle Dog and the Collie( yes lassie comes in a short coated variety!)

Or the good old Labrador.

Or possibly the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

When you say inside is the dog going to sleep outside or in,do you have a dog proof fenced area ,do you have live stock around you .

What do you want from your dog great outdoors type ,snugly indoors type ,both .

What do you consider medium height a Labrador or smaller .

Do you want something that needs trips to the groomer or wash n wear keeping in mind that can determine shedding and cost work

Given that the dog is going to be alone most school days, you won't want a high drive breed. So most of the herding breeds are out plus most of the terriers.

Given the prickles, you will want either a smooth coat or a wire coat - both of which shed, so you would want a lower-shedding type, hound rather than labrador.

Long coated and fluffy coated dogs you would be forever removing prickles, unless you had them shaved every few weeks.

Assuming that you can securely fence off the house yard the dog to securely contain the dog during school/work hours, then I am thinking that a Beagle might be a good fit.

They do shed moderately throughout the year but a 5 minute daily brush outside will mean you don't have much shedding inside at all. They may blow their coat heavily once a year, depending on your climate.

If however, you can only fence a small area to secure the dog during school/work hours, then a Beagle won't suit. They will exercise themselves just fine in a large yard, but will follow a scent for miles and not come home so you MUST have good fences. A Beagle confined in a very small yard without sufficient daily exercise will probably howl.

If you can only make a small area plus indoors secure for when you are not home, then perhaps you might want to consider a Whippet. They are not a really high shedding breed, a brush every few days will probably manage the worst of it. They are somewhat more delicate than a Beagle, you will find that their skin tears easily and they can be perhaps over-sensitive to any family disruption so if you have kids that quarrell a lot, they might not be the best idea. They do need regular exercise including some free-running, but again this must be directly supervised. A sighthound like a Whippet can be just as single minded as a scent hound like the Beagle.

Staffies are lovely family dogs. Robust enough to play rough, get trod on etc but also love cuddling. They just love people. Only downside is a bored staffy can be extremely destructive. They have strong jaws that can really rip things up.

Agistment has a jack Russell and it seems lovely. It's smooth coated. I just think they're small and easily broken....

That said, I've got a westie, which I picked because they only get up to 10kg.

In general, dogs coats need to turnover so you either go with a short shedding coat (eg Dalmatian, Labrador) which shed a lot and will need regular brushing or a longer low shedding coat such as a Westie, bichon, poodle and others. Longer coats will need de-prickling or keeping them very short. So either way the dog's coat will need maintenance. I check my westies regularly for prickles - I just do it in front if the telly at night and they seem to enjoy the attention so I don't find it a big deal - but your prickle problem sounds like it might be more severe.

Beagles need to be in a dig proof area when you are not home.My Beagle would dig crater sized holes under the fence in minutes to try and escape to the nearby school.

Staffordshire Terriers are good climbers and can scale trees 'like my neighbours one'.

Both breeds need a fair amount of company to be happy and both would do better with another dog for company if owners are out most of the day.

Agree with Purdie - love Beagles dearly but they will escape from Alcatraz if they are looking for company. I don't think I'd have one as an only dog unless I was around a lot. My working Springers are very relaxed about being left alone but I work and train them hard - they are just happy when I leave the house so they can get some sleep :D

Thanks everyone, this has been interesting to read and making me realise compromise on my list will be needed.

We will have a secure yard, no livestock nearby. The dog can sleep inside. A labrador is too big.

Have you had dogs before? How much training and mental stimulation are you wanting to do? Will the dog be around people after school/work when people are home? And sorry, I can't see on iPhone, where are you located?

I ask because an Australian Shepherd could possibly work... Definitely medium, not small, and need company and lots of mental stimulation otherwise they can become bored, destructive and escape artists, but don't generally need as much exercise and "work" as other herding breeds.

Mine shed fairly minimally apart from twice yearly coat drops when we lived in Canberra but sheds a fair amount now in SE Qld. Grooming is easy though, she repels dirt, a quick weekly brush and trimming of occasional knots is all she needs.