Dog Selection

Camdi

I still think a Border Terrier is a good one to look at. Their wiry coat gives them some character but it's not as long as a Cairn, Aussie terrier, Wesrie etc, and on longer leg so less of a prickle mop. A good brush and rake over every week or two will be enough. They are a dog with a bit of coat character that you can maintain yourself without having to take it to a groomer.

I have friends who live on prickly acres in the southern mount lofty ranges who were looking at other breeds. They wanted a family dog and had a toddler at that stage. Wanted a sturdy dog that could wander around the property and not slip next door and kill farm animals, that she could walk in the Main Street, that he could take fishing and it wouldn't bugger off, not be a prickle magnet or need much maintenance etc etc. They were looking at a large bull breed and I managed to convince them to look at the Border Terrier. It's turned out a perfect match for them.

Have you had dogs before? How much training and mental stimulation are you wanting to do? Will the dog be around people after school/work when people are home? And sorry, I can't see on iPhone, where are you located?

I ask because an Australian Shepherd could possibly work... Definitely medium, not small, and need company and lots of mental stimulation otherwise they can become bored, destructive and escape artists, but don't generally need as much exercise and "work" as other herding breeds.

Mine shed fairly minimally apart from twice yearly coat drops when we lived in Canberra but sheds a fair amount now in SE Qld. Grooming is easy though, she repels dirt, a quick weekly brush and trimming of occasional knots is all she needs.

Yes have owned a dog before quite a few years ago, it was a corgi. After school/work people will be around. We live in the south east of south Australia. We will interact with the dog a lot when home.

I still think a Border Terrier is a good one to look at. Their wiry coat gives them some character but it's not as long as a Cairn, Aussie terrier, Wesrie etc, and on longer leg so less of a prickle mop. A good brush and rake over every week or two will be enough. They are a dog with a bit of coat character that you can maintain yourself without having to take it to a groomer.

I have friends who live on prickly acres in the southern mount lofty ranges who were looking at other breeds. They wanted a family dog and had a toddler at that stage. Wanted a sturdy dog that could wander around the property and not slip next door and kill farm animals, that she could walk in the Main Street, that he could take fishing and it wouldn't bugger off, not be a prickle magnet or need much maintenance etc etc. They were looking at a large bull breed and I managed to convince them to look at the Border Terrier. It's turned out a perfect match for them.

I have a border terrier and couldn't be happier with her. I put in a bit of effort training behaviour I wanted as a puppy and she's just great.

Only two issues I have which I could sort if I put effort in, are her and the neighbours dog bark at each other at times. She has a high pitched bark which is annoying. If I call her or clap she'll immediately sprint to me. Also she loves all dogs and people and would go to anyone. It's been a struggle training with people around at times, I need to work on that.

But she is loving and friendly, playful and smart and loves kids. She knows maybe 50+tricks and is a quick learner. Shaping is her favourite thing to do! It costs me $80 twice a year to have her hand striped (I'm lazy) but it's like having two dogs in one. Short haired then later on an adorable scruffer!

Being a terrier you need to put effort in to training a reliable recall and practice regularly.(Same goes for any dog). They're only ever as good as the effort you put in to training. :)

I have a border terrier and couldn't be happier with her. I put in a bit of effort training behaviour I wanted as a puppy and she's just great.

Only two issues I have which I could sort if I put effort in, are her and the neighbours dog bark at each other at times. She has a high pitched bark which is annoying. If I call her or clap she'll immediately sprint to me. Also she loves all dogs and people and would go to anyone. It's been a struggle training with people around at times, I need to work on that.

But she is loving and friendly, playful and smart and loves kids. She knows maybe 50+tricks and is a quick learner. Shaping is her favourite thing to do! It costs me $80 twice a year to have her hand striped (I'm lazy) but it's like having two dogs in one. Short haired then later on an adorable scruffer!

Being a terrier you need to put effort in to training a reliable recall and practice regularly.(Same goes for any dog). They're only ever as good as the effort you put in to training. :)

Thanks, I think this is a dog we will look at

Thanks, I think this is a dog we will look at

A bonus we have some excellent BT breeders right here in SA, a couple down south of Adelaide. If you go to the top of this page and click the home page link and the use the find registered breeders link you'll find a list of breeders under the BT . Don't be put off if none of the local breeders have puppies, it's still a great idea to ask if you can meet the dogs and discuss the breed in regards to your needs. you can go on a wait list for the next litter or the breeder may know someone with a litter or one due. Whatever breed you settle on, touch base with breeders as a starting point. It's unlikely you will just be able to ring up and find a puppy ready to go.

How about a basenji ?

For size and coat this is a breed that fits........ However Basenji are a very unique breed with interesting and sometimes challenging temperament and behaviour. They are supreme escapologist first and foremost and not a breed that can be readily trusted of lead at all. I'm sure there are exceptions but Basenji are generally most suited to the most experienced homes that know exactly how much goes into making a Basenji and enjoyable pet.

Yeah I was sort of thinking of a basenji for coat , none barking , size and independent nature .

I know someone online from another forum who raves about them .

I guess if the op was up to the challenge ?

Reading about this breed, I don't think we are up for the challenge

How about a basenji ?

For size and coat this is a breed that fits........ However Basenji are a very unique breed with interesting and sometimes challenging temperament and behaviour. They are supreme escapologist first and foremost and not a breed that can be readily trusted of lead at all. I'm sure there are exceptions but Basenji are generally most suited to the most experienced homes that know exactly how much goes into making a Basenji and enjoyable pet.

As a breeder and exhibitor of Basenji's, blink blink you have certainly hit the nail on the head about them. They are really not the breed for everyone, and I would not recommend them for the OP...