What Temp Do You Rug Your Dog Up?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old boy sleeps outside at night now (incontinence) and while the nights are not too cold yet and he is a fluffy boy, I find old horse rugs are awesome for those raised beds with hessian lining, chuck a no longer used horse rug on it, like a woolen or heavier blanket type and he snuggles right in, loves it, keeps him lovely and warm. He will not use a kennel, we had a glorious one, beautiful and snug, but wouldn't go near it. Prefers the raised bed under the verandah, the old boy runs a bit hot, so I think he prefers sleeping outside on his bed. My other two (The rotts) prefer to sleep indoors..not saying on our bed or anything like that at all......... :laugh: :rofl::eek:

Four of our dogs I don't worry too much they all have enough coat although I will occasionally put a jumper on Astro the pom x chi if its a really cold morning and he's shivering.

Claudia is a different story being a short haired chihuahua she feels the cold bad so anything under 18 degrees and I put the heater on, I've tried puting her in jumpers/ jackets but she pulls them all off.

For me, it's not just one particular temperature or anything. If I'm cold in a short-sleeved top, they get coats/jammies on. If their ears feel cold, they get coats/jammies on. If they're sleeping curled up in a tight ball, coats/jammies. We keep the heat pump on 24/7 in winter, set at 21 or 22oc but even then, they're usually rugged from April through until October/November, depending on how cold the year is. To help keep their hair in good condition, I also switch to a slightly fattier meat mix and that, combined with rugging, means they come into Spring without kennel coat and without having lost any weight. I wash a lot of coats over winter but I'd rather be doing that than stripping out kennel coat and combing out the scurf it causes.

This. :heart:

I also spend my life doing dog laundry. .. between towels, bkankies & rugs.

A Waterproof collar was one of the best investments I've made

I've managed to break my washing machine a few times with dog stuff :o Coats are usually okay, as are blankets, provided something else equally heavy goes in on the other side. The bane of my washing machine's existence.. dog beds. Beds for 30+kg dogs do horrible things to the washing machine and I've yet to figure out a more efficient and hygienic way of getting them clean and then also enough water spun out so that they don't break the clothesline under their weight. Current method is to bypass the spin cycles (because that's where sh*t starts getting hairy) and then drag the water-logged bed up to rest it on the centre bit (whatever it's called) until enough water has dripped out to make it light enough to carry outside and chuck onto the top of the clothesline. In winter, they then take at least a couple of days to get dry enough to bring inside to finish drying. And that's the best method I've figured out over 10 years of washing the damn things :noidea:

Gurney / high pressure hose ;)

Generally speaking, around 16 degrees but judge it on how he is acting as he has a thin coat and low body fat so gives himself away by curling into a ball etc. Also a sure sign when he moves from the spare room to my bed at night!

Someone was looking after him for me last week and shared a pic and I commented he was looking out of sorts. Was mentioned weather was not great so recommended he had a coat on. Coat put on and immediately he was looking much happier and not pulling sad faces.

In my books it is not so cold, but seems she is not as tolerant! I am reluctant to put the heating on when it's only 17 degrees! Positively warm! But then I am wearing clothing.

tumblr_o4ui42SSyA1qh8fino1_540.jpg

I got a bit silly but she loosened up and fell asleep

tumblr_o4uild1WcC1qh8fino1_540.jpg

I am looking into those greyhound coats for indoor sleeping, her proportions are similar. The other 2 coats are raincoats so loud and crinkly and stiff.

And this weekend, Op shop! I'll grab 6 or 7 $1-2 blankets and place them about. Some hay too, hopefully it will be a nice place to hide. She sleeps most of the day anyway.

Thistle is my spirit animal!

17 is cold, under 15 and I've got layers of clothes and Dozer and I are both snuggled under a blanket together for warmth.

I'm excited to see how he goes with the new King sized quilt set we'll pop on the new bed on Saturday..

We've only got a queen bed so I'm hoping pup and I can actually share this one.. :rofl: he steals so much blankie!

last night, I awoke at some stage - and I felt around for Miss Molly .. She was a tight little ball, like a rolled-up echidna! ;) ( she has a feather doona and sheepskin bed ) ..so she got covered over with a sheet ... Don has a bed in a corner ..with pillows etc - and he has heaps of coat! The cat lies either behind my knees , or on me somewhere ...

*sigh* maybe we all should just pile up on my bed!!

Certainly not having a go about Thistle's bare botty but when I was making dog coats and had my market stall people would bring me their little dog wearing expensive designer coats made of nothing remotely warm that ended around their bellies, complaining they were still cold. Well hello! That's like us going outside in winter in a polyester crop top!

Certainly not having a go about Thistle's bare botty but when I was making dog coats and had my market stall people would bring me their little dog wearing expensive designer coats made of nothing remotely warm that ended around their bellies, complaining they were still cold. Well hello! That's like us going outside in winter in a polyester crop top!

Lol I don't mind! When I brought this I was overcompensating by buying her loads of stuff and she was indoor only at the time. It was the only coat instore that would fit around her chest (retrospectively not made with long barrel chested dogs in mind!)

It is not up to scrap now. I do have two other coats, which fit much better and made for the hound shape, but as they're walking/raincoats not so comfortable for the sleeping.

I found this place:

http://www.anniescoats.org/

so going to try and line up with one of their upcoming stalls so we can get a proper fit. No more naked bottoms! It's scandalous ;)

Lol I don't mind! When I brought this I was overcompensating by buying her loads of stuff and she was indoor only at the time. It was the only coat instore that would fit around her chest (retrospectively not made with long barrel chested dogs in mind!)

It is not up to scrap now. I do have two other coats, which fit much better and made for the hound shape, but as they're walking/raincoats not so comfortable for the sleeping.

I found this place:

http://www.anniescoats.org/

so going to try and line up with one of their upcoming stalls so we can get a proper fit. No more naked bottoms! It's scandalous ;)

We understand Thistle. Scottie is quite a large "little dog" his bum well and truly sticks out of a 45cm weatherbeeta but the 50cm swims on him.

Elke (whippet) tells me when she's cold, she tries to get under blankets or comes in to snuggle up to me, I pick up her jumper and ask if she wants it on and if she puts her head through the head hole then on it goes. She's much happier when she's coated! Generally speaking if I'm feeling the cold or her ears are cold and or she's shivering and in a tight ball then it's time for the jumpers to come out.

I leave them on her during the day if I know it's going to be cold, she appreciates the warmth.

Oh which one is that rebanne? No pictures for us?

I have sent a msg to Annie on Facebook. I just need to get some measurements of thistle because her neck is much thicker than a grey

I am thinking I will splurge and get both a comfy indoor one and the hipster warmer one :)

post-3047-0-55900000-1459490051_thumb.jpg

Fern hates her photo being taken. This coat is too big on it's own but I bought it like that for the depths of winter cause it will go over another double layer fleecy coat. Must keep the old girl warm

She looks so cozy and warm! The hipster warmers right? Good idea to make a layer option!

yes I think that's what they are called. I always double coat my dogs at night when they sleep outside, single coats for the nights we all snuggle up on my bed :D