What Temp Do You Rug Your Dog Up?

Please dont shoot me! The only one of my whippets I regularly rug is (almost) 14 year old Feather, and she even wears one in the house. The others dont need it. If I take them to the park they run around and keep warm. We rarely go there when it is raining. If it was to take them somewhere where they might be standing around outside on leash and unable to warm them selves then yes I would coat them. The rest of the time at home they're usually curled up asleep under a blanket.

When I used to race my whippets, during the winter I would coat them when we went to the races to keep their muscles warm before a race. I would also walk them briskly before hand and rub their muscles but most of the time I didn't coat them.

If they were shivering I would coat them, but apart from Feather I dont see it. The boys dont shiver very much at all.

Blanket or coat they are still covered up :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to get a lot of ice-on-the buckets days in Belgrave, and coated the dogs up for out and about. But the misty atmosphere was always sort of humid, damp cold air got into the bones. Rugged horses more too.

Here in central Vic it also freezes overnight, but is a dry cold, just so different. Piper the Rottie still needed her warm coat here, but Frodo and Rheneas always say nope, take it off. Fro is showing their years, but Rheneas seems oblivious to the cold and often chooses to be outside.

The horses/ponies are always conflicting with rug wants and needs, shoulds and shouldn'ts. The tall fine-coated boys need rugs, but by mid-Autumn the Shetlands have already grown their winter coats - and rugging a heavy coated Shetland can be damaging to their health, so it's a balancing act. Ben will be rugged even though he dislikes it because he is blind and doesn't overly charge around keeping warm (and is nearer the house, so monitored often).

Question: those "self-heating" doggy mats with the inbuilt reflective insulation - are they good value and useful indoors or outdoors, or a gimmick? Tossing up getting them for Frodo and Rheneas, or are the electric dog mats a better choice for a warmer bed for older doggies?

For dogs that have to sleep in an outdoors kennel, homeless people give the best clues for insulation: Lots of thick newspapers underneath, that even repels the crippling cold of a concrete path. And layers of light cardboard between the Salvo's rugs or blankets.

Question: those "self-heating" doggy mats with the inbuilt reflective insulation - are they good value and useful indoors or outdoors, or a gimmick? Tossing up getting them for Frodo and Rheneas, or are the electric dog mats a better choice for a warmer bed for older doggies?

For dogs that have to sleep in an outdoors kennel, homeless people give the best clues for insulation: Lots of thick newspapers underneath, that even repels the crippling cold of a concrete path. And layers of light cardboard between the Salvo's rugs or blankets.

I did a bit of reading on the reflective ones blankets last year and found a page (don't remember where - I'm terrible with bookmarks) which suggested they're no different to using a foil blanket or one of those foil backed screens you use in your car to block the sun. They compared them to the foil blankets often found in first aid kits. So I'm happy enough to say "not a gimmick".

I used a cheap foil lined blanket last year - under the plastic tray in Scotties crate with his bed, mattress and blankies on top. No idea if it made any difference but it can't have hurt and similar to part two of your comment above - it's about the layers - I think I said much earlier up in the thread I look to my Dads camping tips of layers and getting off the ground. I gave it to my parents when I moved and the cats love it too - mainly because it makes a funny crinkly noise I think - it gets padded on a lot :laugh:

I'm too scared to go down the electric path. We have two snuggle safes (they are incredible - I highly recommend them) and I usually try to get good quality blankets for mine to nest in. Going to try and get a good grade (second hand) sleeping bag this year now we're in a colder climate...

Edited by Scottsmum

I bought a couple of those to use in the dog crates at shows. I don't use them at home cause my dogs scratch up their bedding so they ended up upsidedown. I have used corded heated pet beds very successfully inside for both dogs and cats. The odd one has been moved around but not very often

We tried pretty much everything out there for Tempeh who was initially fearful of coats or being covered with blankets and who really struggles with the cold. For her the snuggle safes are the best option as they stay warm all night and the heat radiates. Plus they last forever. We've had electric pet beds (chewed) human electric blankets (one side now broken), insulated/fleece layered blankets I made (didn't seem to hold enough heat), newspaper under and blankets over the soft crate (still didn't hold enough heat). We can get her in a double layer coat now and also put blankets over her but she still sleeps by a snuggle safe in the bed as well. Us humans also use them in our beds too and the good thing about them is if you get too hot you can move a bit further away. Can't do that with electric blankets or electric beds.

If you can sew or know someone who does then this is the tute I followed. It just wasn't warm enough for Tempeh but it could work for your two.

The last dog-warmer has arrived, so here is Thistle's new pieces of winter fashion!

Followed in the path of DOL's own dididog and went to D & D dog coats

tumblr_o5z4fuUErY1qh8fino3_540.jpg

It is so soft and warm. Bonus! Can cover cold dog ears!

Secondhand lurcher coat from a friend in the UK, funny how dogs can look nothing alike but have same measurements

tumblr_o5z4yl25uS1qh8fino1_540.jpg

Rocking some warm style over there!

Spontaneous purchase because it was 50% off and reversible! Two patterns for one!

tumblr_o5z4fuUErY1qh8fino1_540.jpg

Handy dandy future layering opportunity. I'm thinking snow and mountains and marysville state forest and layered up after all that

tumblr_o5ihc11u7u1qh8fino4_540.jpg

The sock is not part of the fashion, I accidentally quicked her quite badly and the sock is to save my floor.

and some old ones I already had (some not to be taken seriously)

Secondhand uk lurcher raincoat! One dog's trash is another dog's treasure!

tumblr_o5ihc11u7u1qh8fino3_540.jpg

Bonus, the neck bit rolls up to the ears!

The Thundercoat - Good for anxiety AND layering ;)

tumblr_o5ihc11u7u1qh8fino2_540.jpg

The "I am upset and overcompensating but also don't know anything about keeping my single coat semi-hairless dog warm" jacket aka the first jacket

tumblr_o5ihc11u7u1qh8fino1_540.jpg

The first jacket sequel: ugly-but-warm raincoat (haha houndstooth)

tumblr_o5ihc11u7u1qh8fino8_r1_540.jpg

The "f*** off" statement ;)

tumblr_o5ihc11u7u1qh8fino10_r1_540.jpg

The "what part of the dog is actually warm here" neck-rug ;)

tumblr_o5ihc11u7u1qh8fino9_r1_540.jpg

Edited by Thistle the dog

those "self-heating" doggy mats with the inbuilt reflective insulation - are they good value and useful indoors or outdoors, or a gimmick?

They do work to a degree - reflect heat/insulate :)

For old outdoor dogs here, I make my own ;) buy one of those foil windscreen shade thingies .

for me - Most of our dog beds are made from the stock feed bags - chaff bags , etc - woven, not paper/plastic .

A few layers of newspaper slid into the "envelope" /bag . Then a foil folded/cut windscreen shade. Then .. I try & use raw wool ... failing that ..woll blankets from opshop ..OR nice feather doonas- also from opshop . I then secure the open end .. sew/staple /whatever ..and place in kennel with a scrunch-up blanket as well.

Mind you - for dogs who scratch/chew stuff - they usually just get a pile of wooL

Indoor dogs have old pillows /sheepskin seat covers and /or wool blankets ..always with newspaper underneath ...and in a confined area away from drafts

Thanks Perseph, time to get crafty. I did ask at the feedstore for any old hessian bags, he said something about haven't used them for years. (I know there are a few around, just not lots used). They give me a roll of empty (synthetic) chaff bags quite often, very handy to fill with pony/alpaca manure collected for the garden or to take to market - not much other use for them, huge unmentioned waste going on, bit like supermarket plastic carry-bags.

LittleGifts those utube tutorials are good - the no-sew double polarfleece blankies look like an easy fix watching TV instead of knitting which I'm plugging away at learning. And they would cope well with a windscreen shield insert and some raw wool/fleece.

Thanks Perseph, time to get crafty. I did ask at the feedstore for any old hessian bags, he said something about haven't used them for years. (I know there are a few around, just not lots used). They give me a roll of empty (synthetic) chaff bags quite often, very handy to fill with pony/alpaca manure collected for the garden or to take to market - not much other use for them, huge unmentioned waste going on, bit like supermarket plastic carry-bags.

LittleGifts those utube tutorials are good - the no-sew double polarfleece blankies look like an easy fix watching TV instead of knitting which I'm plugging away at learning. And they would cope well with a windscreen shield insert and some raw wool/fleece.

I didn't notice the no sew blankies - are they just fringing cut around the edges that you knot together? If so I have made quite a few round dog beds using that technique. There is also a different style of no sew blankies I have seen done that don't give you a lumpy knot. You cut a slit in the fringes and loop them through. Link below in case you are in a creative mood!

http://www.adventuresofadiymom.com/2012/12/no-sew-fleece-blanket.html

There is also this one but I think it would need to be done with a much lighter weight fabric than fleece (maybe 2 layers of old flannel sheets?).

http://www.adventuresofadiymom.com/2012/12/no-sew-fleece-blanket.html

The routine here is that no dog is rugged inside including the Salukis. Our main heating source in winter is a slow combustion fire or the dogpile on the bed so there are heat sources the dogs can find. And all our dogs are inside overnight. So no-one is cold.

Outside, we live in Southern NSW where the morning temps where the dogs go into the runs are often below zero, and day temps can struggle to climb into the low teens - tho' it is usually alpine weather with sunshine.

The Afghans are not rugged, they are happy to sit outside on a hard frost in -5 temps. The Salukis get woollen op shop blankets on their trampoline beds and they are rugged if they will tolerate the coats. One of our younger smooth males always shreds his coats. So we don't put them on him anymore, he just has his woollen blanket. The rest are in coats.

I am not a fan of leaving the thin coated sighthounds outside without options to keep themselves warm, especially overnight. You have to look at the heritage of the breed, and I think it is not fair to leave light bodied, desert origin sighthounds outside without coats in freezing temps. On the other hand, I think it is a bit nuts to rug breeds that were specifically bred for cold climate function. So the Afghans are never rugged.

My dogs can go inside 24x7 and inside has central heating. They only wear coats on winter days for walks when it's below around 8 degrees. I have thin coats and thicker coats for them depending on how cold it is - coldest it gets when we walk in winter is around 3-4 degrees in the morning walks.