What Temp Do You Rug Your Dog Up?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's looking like coats are half my answer, it's reassuring others have them outdoors no problem.

Anyway, I am talking to annie about getting a custom cosy warmer and a custom hipster allsorts. Because Thistle has such a thick neck for her thick head, some alterations on the neck need to be made :laugh:

The hard part now is choosing colours and patterns! I think for the hipster, green or brown. But for the cozy? no idea. Considering vibrant retro pink?

post-53789-0-22974200-1459558091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thistle the dog

Bad news update, Thistle's inconvenient body won't fit the really really cozy snuggly hipster allsorts ones like rebanne has :( Her neck is simply too thick. I will still get a normal cosy I think - going to try to catch annie at her pop up stall next week.

But am a bit sad she wont' be getting one of those covered velcro ones but i'm sure we'll find an alternative somewhere. I'll try terms like bull lurcher and stuff, the UK has a thriving dog knicknacks business.

Bad news update, Thistle's inconvenient body won't fit the really really cozy snuggly hipster allsorts ones like rebanne has :( Her neck is simply too thick. I will still get a normal cosy I think - going to try to catch annie at her pop up stall next week.

But am a bit sad she wont' be getting one of those covered velcro ones but i'm sure we'll find an alternative somewhere. I'll try terms like bull lurcher and stuff, the UK has a thriving dog knicknacks business.

Ah. Such a shame. Scottie manages to wee on a lot of things making them pointless. He once managed to get wee on a rug and then sat down and refused to walk any further. I couldnt think what was wrong with him and thought he was in serious pain. When I finally realised and took it off him all was good - except I had to carry a wee soaked rug home :/

Maybe try Chilly Dogs coats? http://www.chillydogs.ca/

Edit: Looks like they don't have them anymore k9 pro used to have some - that's who we got ours off.

Edited by Scottsmum

It's looking like coats are half my answer, it's reassuring others have them outdoors no problem.

Anyway, I am talking to annie about getting a custom cosy warmer and a custom hipster allsorts. Because Thistle has such a thick neck for her thick head, some alterations on the neck need to be made :laugh:

The hard part now is choosing colours and patterns! I think for the hipster, green or brown. But for the cozy? no idea. Considering vibrant retro pink?

he, he, he ...

Room to move!

Chilly Dog coats are awesome.

A DOLer has D & D Dog Coats on FB and makes to order. Many a Dane in AU has her coats.

Yeh I was impressed - I like the neck flap -it doesnt wick water like the other coat I have with a collar and its nice and long - covers his butt. Unfortunately its also got a lovely thick belly flap which is what gets pee'd on. Making it "useless"...

Chilly Dog coats are awesome.

A DOLer has D & D Dog Coats on FB and makes to order. Many a Dane in AU has her coats.

Yes! Dididog has mentioned to me, definitely a next pit stop for glamour. I was mostly checking out Annie's cause I could skip the whole postage thing but not much can be done about some size limitations. Mailorder is next!

Another update: Have ordered a custom coat from D & D. Look forward to getting it! Between rugged up kennel and this, winter will hopefully be kind to her sooky cold bottom.

Another update - the D&D people have finished making a custom one for me!

12472628_1291296257551864_8013975612338324247_n.jpg?oh=8928d66f3d24912991676e831cbc5207&oe=5780D165

Can't wait. Unexpected bonus, a friend with a lurcher who gave me the raincoat Thistle wears is also giving me a rug/coat. So we'll have 2 to rotate between! It's also a nice shade of blue :)

Lovely coat hope it keeps your girl nice and warm this winter :)

I feel incredibly ripped off having a husky there would be no point buying him a rug he is quite fine in the cold, this will be his first winter in a place that sometimes gets snow so that will be exciting! My vallhund has a couple of weatherbeetas she's a funny shape too so a bit hard to fit but again has a double coat so only has a coat on when it's freezing. When I had my chi I had a great time buying cute little coats and the little bugger hated them and would wriggle out of them first chance he got! My dogs spend most of their time inside anyway so it's only if they are out and about.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Willem' timestamp='1461027053' post='6805956']

some light reading regards this topic http://www.telegraph...s-in-coats.html

bit of a pointless article. I don't think anyone here is dressing their dogs in fashionable dresses and pet clothing other than a winter jacket for cooler days?

Fashion-wise, coats are pointless for dogs.It demeans the dog. There is a nobility to being someone's best friend and if you are being used to accessorise and draw attention to the owner then it is not fair. "

:laugh: my dog loves his jacket. Really don't think he cares. Nor am i dressing him to bring attention to me. I don't dress him for fashion. I dress him because he needs it and it keeps him out from underneath my doona all day! and for henry as he is older.

Dogs have developed a very effective coat of their own, which will protect them from the elements.

Please tell this to Deniki, who not only has a very sparse coat on his back that is completely UN-resistant to elements, but has no hair on his neck, belly or back of his thighs. Genetically, he is just weird.

Feels both the heat and the cold to extremes, so has a jumper for both cooling, and warming.

My dogs are long-haired, but are not double coated.

Edited by denali

If your dog has a double coat then yes, no point rugging it up. But use common sense - if the dog is curled up & shivering, it's cold. If it's panting a lot, it's hot.

I'd be pretty stupid if I put a jacket on my dogs (floofy Aussie Shepherds) - even in the dead of winter they will swim in the dam if they're given half a chance! My SIL's Chinese Crested would much rather be curled up on the couch in a blanket. And yes he's got bedazzled jammies biggrin.gif he looks fabulous in it.

And the stupid bit about dogs knowing when they're being laughed at. I doubt it. If I laugh at mine they get even more goofy rofl1.gif

If your dog has a double coat then yes, no point rugging it up. But use common sense - if the dog is curled up & shivering, it's cold. If it's panting a lot, it's hot.

I'd be pretty stupid if I put a jacket on my dogs (floofy Aussie Shepherds) - even in the dead of winter they will swim in the dam if they're given half a chance! My SIL's Chinese Crested would much rather be curled up on the couch in a blanket. And yes he's got bedazzled jammies biggrin.gif he looks fabulous in it.

And the stupid bit about dogs knowing when they're being laughed at. I doubt it. If I laugh at mine they get even more goofy rofl1.gif

That reminds me of this photo!

It was so cold, middle of winter- 2 years ago i think. My pool is cold as it is because it is so shaded all year round. But the water was SO cold- numbingly so.

Dumb dog decides to jump in for a swim- in his coat..

He will swim year round, come out shivering like crazy and go back for more..

10505295_10203501202004562_7069095672974500047_n.jpg?oh=74fbbf2bdcc79fe5b72f07474a97b43e&oe=57A96F9D