What Temp Do You Rug Your Dog Up?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article:

Owners and experts have also said that the growth of "canine couture" – dressing dogs in "fashionable" clothing – is demeaning to the animals and could even encourage bad behaviour.

Rubbish. My dog does not care whether he's wearing his sailor suit, his fancy shirt and bow tie number, or his muck around cotton jersey. It makes zero difference to him. All he cares about is whether it's comfortable (yes), restricts his movement (no), and keeps him warm when he wants/needs an extra layer (yes). He's small and he feels the cold and no one's laughing at him. They're telling him he's adorable in happy voices and giving him affection, all of which he thinks is good.

We've all seen videos of people putting clothes on their dog and the dog freaks out and they think it's funny that their dog is frozen in fear. It isn't funny. Perhaps that's what they're talking about but to dismiss putting clothing on a dog across the board is silly.

Know how to read your dog and adjust the clothing to suit his/her comfort and the weather. Malcolm also has a ridiculously cute reindeer outfit. He didn't wear it at all last Christmas as it was too hot.

Hey Dol-ers,

I have a new motto in life. Don't feed the troll.

Dont-Feed-The-Trolls-Meme-06.png

;)

Didn't you know dogs don't wear coats in the wild. You know, those artificially selected wild dogs who are designed to eat kibble (from the kibble tree) but not require any other human intervention.

I have one more coat on the way then I will share them as an update for my thread. The D&D coat is absolutely lovely! So soft. She will really appreciate it when winter comes on in and after-snow events.

I am just waiting on the lurcher one a friend in the uk is sending me. Then I can share all the ridiculous fashion she now has. I seem to have unintentionally gone for a blue theme XD

I am envious of those with the ones small enough to make outfits out of cute socks XD she does fit my own hoodies though, leaves that bum cold

Edited by Thistle the dog

I have one more coat on the way then I will share them as an update for my thread. The D&D coat is absolutely lovely! So soft. She will really appreciate it when winter comes on in and after-snow events.

I am just waiting on the lurcher one a friend in the uk is sending me. Then I can share all the ridiculous fashion she now has. I seem to have unintentionally gone for a blue theme XD

I am envious of those with the ones small enough to make outfits out of cute socks XD she does fit my own hoodies though, leaves that bum cold

Don't worry - even small dogs can be a pain. I got in touch with someone about doing a custom merino shirt for Scott the other day - he's such an odd size - biggest little dog I ever did own.

Anyhow - she seemed to think one of her smalls would be fine - off the shelf so to speak. Then I measured him and he's an XL in the chest... but the rest would swim on him. :(

You've reminded me too - must get back to her.

Don't worry - even small dogs can be a pain. I got in touch with someone about doing a custom merino shirt for Scott the other day - he's such an odd size - biggest little dog I ever did own.

Anyhow - she seemed to think one of her smalls would be fine - off the shelf so to speak. Then I measured him and he's an XL in the chest... but the rest would swim on him. :(

You've reminded me too - must get back to her.

deniki is one of those. He is built like a whippet almost..

Really long in the back. But really narrow. Deep chested, but with a big tuck up.

So awkward. So anything long enough is too wide and too deep- so never fits nicely. And he's the one that needs them!

deniki is one of those. He is built like a whippet almost..

Really long in the back. But really narrow. Deep chested, but with a big tuck up.

So awkward. So anything long enough is too wide and too deep- so never fits nicely. And he's the one that needs them!

Complete pain in the wot-sit.

A coat here is a practical item not a fashion item.

I was getting the pathetic look tonight combined with the curl in a ball pose. Chucked a coat on and he's happily taken himself off to bed and sprawled out in his usual sleeping pose. Also saves me waking up with a rather large lump trying to curl into my back for warmth.

Good luck telling my Greyhound or Iggies that they don't need coats! The Std Poodle and OES don't get a coat but the hounds need them. And yes, I like pretty coats! Who cares if they are fancy or bright or whatever. The dogs certainly don't! As for demeaning the dogs, what a joke.

Edited by *kirty*

If your dog has a double coat then yes, no point rugging it up. But use common sense - if the dog is curled up & shivering, it's cold. If it's panting a lot, it's hot.

I'd be pretty stupid if I put a jacket on my dogs (floofy Aussie Shepherds) - even in the dead of winter they will swim in the dam if they're given half a chance! My SIL's Chinese Crested would much rather be curled up on the couch in a blanket. And yes he's got bedazzled jammies biggrin.gif he looks fabulous in it.

And the stupid bit about dogs knowing when they're being laughed at. I doubt it. If I laugh at mine they get even more goofy rofl1.gif

I'm actually getting the the point of seriously considering whether I need to lightly rug Nova. He has been curling up into blankets and pillows so tightly at night it's uncomfortable to look at (I measured it last night at under 40cm dog ball lol).

He is cold to touch. And he refuses to move. He can't be comfortable! He doesn't have a lot of coat for an Aussie and never really has. But maybe he just needs to grow more undercoat and that would prevent it??

Hi LisaCC

It most certainly can't hurt to get Nova used to a coat while the temperature is still warm (ish).

When it gets cold here it is sudden and viscious! Kira is immune to the cold, and in winter likes to lie outside in the frost, but Jingo is already complaining of the cold, but that is a bonus for me, as he becomes an even better hot water bottle!