Turtle Dig

huga

My mum volunteers for the local Coast Care group, so she'll let me know that there's a nest dig on but I often can't get there. Yesterday I could for the first time in ages and the kids and I went down to watch. Coast Care interfere as little as possible, so they wait for the turtles to run and then dig up the nest to collect data on egg numbers, health, losses and all that stuff. Usually there are a few stragglers and they release them too, which is what draws the crowds. The release takes some time because they have to make the journey to the water themselves (it helps unfurl and strengthen their limbs) and they'll finally make it to the water only to be washed back up again a few times. There ended up being 6 live ones sifted from the nest yesterday, only 6 of 30 that made it out of 117 eggs. That's quite a low number, it's usually much higher - the nest was higher up the beach than normal, it was dug up by a fox early on and probably due to that, the roots of plants ended up binding up the sand and eggs so they were unable to hatch and dig their way out. It's always such a lovely thing to see, regardless.

25521247204_1cb8da257f_b.jpg

26059643511_48e1f71b14_b.jpg

26033505772_d4400e0690_b.jpg

26033494182_3fe526b3c8_b.jpg

26033491172_2a765d3aeb_b.jpg

26045003961_574400f048_b.jpg

25523726933_6cc00a9e0e_b.jpg

Edited by huga

Lovely record of their work Huga, seriously disappointing hatch-rate though eh?.

Yeah they were disappointed and puzzled, they'd never seen anything like it before and they've been recording all the data for 9 years.

What an amazing experience! It is on my bucket list. Thank you for such amazing photos of it Huga. We are so lucky to live in a country like this with that on our doorstep!

Oh and I'm also very sad about the low numbers. I hope it turns around and that it isn't a sign of the health of the environment those babies are being born in to.

It's a dog beach ???? Lots of people going for walks etc and get curious and come over for a look. Everyone was really sensible and put them on lead when they realised what was going on.