Dog Pee's On Greeting. How To Stop This>?

sporti

Whilst my son's dog is not a pup, he's five now, this is a behaviour that has occurred since he was a pup. Pees when he sees me. And wondered about suggestions to work on this?, as opposed to manage this, which is what i currently do.

Situation:

When i go visit at son's house, the dog gets very excited barking at door, running to window to look out (and there is a puddle here occasionally if im not fast enough), comes back to barking at door as i am walking up the front drive.

I open the door and call the dog outside, and it pee's whilst excitedly greeting me. So the urine goes on the ground, my shoes etc, n not over their lounge room floor. I have the dog sit, and feed him treats for being calm, then we go in together. Pee greeting complete.

Different situation:

Dog comes here to my house for doggy day care once a week. Comes in, gets just as excited, as he's greeted by my 3 dogs, who love having mates over for play dates. They all charge into the yard, to play/greet. He doesn't pee indoors here? appears just as excited, but no peeing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you try entering differently. Go around the back and sit on a chair for a few minutes and then let the dog out. As it comes out the door don't just stand there, briskly walk off into the yard so the dog isn't on top of you flip flopping around all excitedly. Once it's calmed down ask it to sit and only pat it once it's sitting calmly. Sometimes just mixing it up with a bit of a different scenario is enough.

If there is some one home text them from around the corner before you get there. Ask them to put the dog on a leash and take it into the yard so you can arrive and meet the dog while it's in a controlled sit on a lead out in the yard.

Think outside the box a little

It seems just a bad habit - one that does not carry over in different surroundings, so I suggest that it will be reasonably straightforward to train him out of the habit, with persistence.

I would suggest a belly band go on the dog while he is indoors whilst your son and his family work on training him out of the habit. They should put the belly band on him at random times so that he does not learn to associate it with you arriving, but he should always wear it when you are arriving.

If you are the only one that he pees with excitement for, then the retraining will basically be up to you.

It will basically consist of you cold-shouldering him, doing IGNORE loudly with your body language until he has given up with his greeting. The belly band will save the carpet. Then try approaching him, if he stays calm, greet him and praise him, if he gets over-excited again, you start the ignore again. Eventually he will realise that his greeting is only returned when he is calm and quiet.

Belly bands are easy to sew or you can buy them online. (Sewing patterns are available online too.) Heavy duty feminine hygiene pads are used to line them.

Dozer does this, but only ever with my brother in law, he's grown out of it with everyone else through training door manners again (and again, and again), but for the brother in law, it all goes out the window and there's a pee sprinkler wiggling around on his back waiting for pats.

We tried crating when he gets here, popping him in another room or outside, but it just delays the inevitable, he just can't hold on to his excitement.

The belly band. Cant imagine them training with this, so it would only ever be used by me. Being brutally honest.

Ive been giving him the cold shoulder, till he sits, mark/reward.

we have around 90% obedience to "sit" cue now. But he's up in a second! Need duration.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly how to stop it?

Stop greeting the dog. Seriously. Do NOT acknowledge the dog when it rushes to grovel and pee. Ignore the dog until it is calm.

^This, even if it means 30 mins of casually doing other things while not acknowledging the dog at all. Do you food reward him upon entry at your house?

Honestly how to stop it?

Stop greeting the dog. Seriously. Do NOT acknowledge the dog when it rushes to grovel and pee. Ignore the dog until it is calm.

^This, even if it means 30 mins of casually doing other things while not acknowledging the dog at all. Do you food reward him upon entry at your house?

Stop greeting him. I like that. Simple.

I dont food treat him at my house on his arrival.

I often have nice things for him in my bag. He knows this. But that comes out, IF he's doing something good at some point i like, like being calm.