Instagram, What Is It?

Kirislin

so I'm an oldie and I dont particularly want to create yet another account or page I have to visit but everyone seems to have an instagram account for their photos. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons about it please? Can people steal your photos to use them commercially from there? Not that anyone would want mine but just wondering.

I'm assuming it's something created for people with mobile phones to quickly get their photos on display. Since I dont have a mobile phone is there any point to having an instagram account? I dont know if this is a really dumb question or not. :confused:

Edited by Kirislin

Pros: can show off your dog and a very emoticon friendly app! Lots of competitions you can enter. Lots of different types of dogs and dog activities in a "daily snippet of life" type of style. There's lots of pet specific small businesses.

Cons: can only upload on phone, pictures get cropped into squares and videos have a 15 second limit.

Random people follow you and get angry if you don't follow back? Spam bots are pretty common too.

No different from anywhere else - people can steal your photo. Idk how common it is, but seems purebreed dogs with nice clear photos are more at risk of being stolen. Easier to find is my guess.

I am ThistleTheMutt!

There is another ThistleTheDog XD he is cute.

Edited by Thistle the dog

1. I don't have an account and don't need an account, and I don't know a good reason why someone would need an account.
  2. yes, people can steal your photos. The simplest way is to make a screen shot, but it also happens that accounts get hacked.
  3. there are only a few exceptions / areas in the internet that are not used commercially, e.g. Wikipedia (in the meanwhile some people, brands, companies try to use Wikipedia for marketing too, so there are quite some biased pages up there and sorting this out is big work for Wikipedia).
  4. So rest assured, someone is earning $$$ with your Fakebook account, Instagram, usage of any Google service etc. etc.... This might happen 'behind the scene' (e.g. Google pays Apple billions of $$ for the employment of their search engines that allows them to access user data) or directly by placing Ads on the site you open.

Edited by Willem

It's geared towards phones, for sure - but you can use it on a PC. I like its simplicity. If I had to choose between FB and insta, I would choose insta every time. It used to be square crops only but that's changed recently. Business wise it's very helpful.

I think I joined and forget what name. Never got around to using it, don't use the mobile phone often enough to always remember to charge it. Generally stick with Smugmug for photos, I dabble with others for storage/share but always go back to Smugmug - it keeps up with the times.