Cost Of Teeth Scale And Polish

Hopefully this is under anaesthesia with monitoring and fluids if it is an extended procedure? If yes a truely great price- which is why it is worth asking what is actually included in the price.

My clinic charges around the $400 mark for a grade 1 dental (minor dental issues and no extractions) which includes fluids, placing an iv catheter, a full physical to detect any abnormalities. A dedicated anaesthetic nurse and the vet doing the procedure. I personally like all my clients to also run a pre GA blood test which is classified as an 'extra' to the clinic but I talk about it during the consult to book in because it gives a great baseline for any later conditions and means that we are going in with as much information as possible for an elective procedure. This is my personal opinion and I will still perform dentals without it but I do feel that it is necessary to offer because that is what I do for my own pets before a GA so should be an option.

Another hand diagnostic tool can be dental X-rays which can highlight disease below the gum line that would otherwise be missed. I have specifically moved to a clinic with a dental Xray machine so I can be involved in more pro-active and better dental care!! I am super excited to start and can't wait to do my first dental!! (And I will admit that dentals are often not my favourite procedure although that is proportional to how manky the pets breath is)

It is also worth looking at conditioning your pet to have their teeth brushed since this is the cheapest and best form of oral hygiene once you have clean teeth again.

Edited by Jumabaar

Hopefully this is under anaesthesia with monitoring and fluids if it is an extended procedure? If yes a truely great price- which is why it is worth asking what is actually included in the price.

A comparison on price alone is not particularly helpful as there are so many variables - some things can be compared directly such as pre-anaesthetic blood testing and IV fluids and others that will depends on the individual hospital such as the cost of anaesthesia, hospital, dental treatment etc.

Not every clinic will do things the same way or have the same fee structure, not every clinic will have the same overhead costs not every clinic will have the same level of experience amongst their staff so it is very difficult to use price alone as a judge of what will be done. Often the bulk of the cost will be hospital and anaesthesia but the cost of the dentistry may vary depending on how much dental disease or tartar there is (more takes longer to do) or whether, if there is dental radiography available, this cost is included or not (best practice often indicates that when there is a certain level of tartar or peridontal disease radiographs should be taken to assess for underlying pathology), or whether the estimate is accounting for some extractions.

In general in the practices I have worked a "base" dental is around the $300-400 mark depending on the size of the pet and degree of dental disease and if there are multiple extractions this can easily become $1000+.

Hi, thanks for all the replies ???? Georgea is in now having her teeth done. Just had a phone call letting me know that a couple of teeth need to be removed, so an extra charge of $100 will apply.

Funny how Lily my other cav has beautiful teeth and her and Georgea have the same diet.

Funny how Lily my other cav has beautiful teeth and her and Georgea have the same diet.

It can have a lot to do with genetics. For example, my dog has an overbite and his skin tucks into his mouth, causing excess saliva like it would if you were to keep a cherry in your mouth 24/7. He's on dental kibble, has an oral cleansing gel (maxigard – a good option if you really can't get the teeth brushing happening), Greenies, bones/wings where possible (too many don't agree with his GI system) and daily teeth brushing. All these things help tremendously: he still needs a dental every 12 months, but before I did all this his teeth were bad enough to warrant one every 6 months. We're trying to push it out to at least 18.

Georgea's mouth will feel so much better afterwards and you'll have a nice clean slate to start brushing: it hurts to have their teeth brushed when they're sore, so they're less accepting. You'll find some articles about how to train acceptance of brushing, the key is to take it at their pace which may be very slow! Malcolm still doesn't like the process of teeth brushing, but he gets very excited about having it done as he gets his Greenie afterwards. :)

You might like to read this from the AVA: http://www.ava.com.au/sites/default/files/AVA_website/pdfs/NSW_Division/Dental%20Homecare.pdf

It can have a lot to do with genetics. For example, my dog has an overbite and his skin tucks into his mouth, causing excess saliva like it would if you were to keep a cherry in your mouth 24/7. He's on dental kibble, has an oral cleansing gel (maxigard – a good option if you really can't get the teeth brushing happening), Greenies, bones/wings where possible (too many don't agree with his GI system) and daily teeth brushing. All these things help tremendously: he still needs a dental every 12 months, but before I did all this his teeth were bad enough to warrant one every 6 months. We're trying to push it out to at least 18.

Georgea's mouth will feel so much better afterwards and you'll have a nice clean slate to start brushing: it hurts to have their teeth brushed when they're sore, so they're less accepting. You'll find some articles about how to train acceptance of brushing, the key is to take it at their pace which may be very slow! Malcolm still doesn't like the process of teeth brushing, but he gets very excited about having it done as he gets his Greenie afterwards. :)

You might like to read this from the AVA: http://www.ava.com.au/sites/default/files/AVA_website/pdfs/NSW_Division/Dental%20Homecare.pdf

Thanks heaps ????