Leaving Puppy Alone At Home

spice_1

Hey guys, I have had my puppy for 3 weeks now and soon I will have to leave him alone at home for 5 hours for a couple days a week. I have set up the compost bin cage from bunnings as his in the backyard, I've tried leaving him in there watching him from inside the house and he crys and jumps on the cage, is there a way to teach him to be alone? How do you guys do it? Cheers

• 2 months later...

have a read through THIS THREAD :) It may answer some of your questions .

I have had our pup for 1 week. And he's been training in being left alone. Using a metal collapsable crate, in the house. i simply followed kikopup crate training. I prefer to use positive training methods, and she is an excellent trainer. Easy to follow. Search for her on youtube. Lots of games to play with pup in crate.

I am now on day 9. and pup will of own accord, chose to go sleep in the crate. If he has a bone, and wants to keep it, he'll go into his crate to eat it in peace.

Ive been leaving him at home alone deliberately, for random durations in time, and comning home and not opening the door unless he's sitting. In a 'you decide' training method.

IM happy with results so far.

With the winter weather and being in Vic. I would be buying a crate, not the plastic ones, and leave him in that with toys to play with, being away for only five hours a couple times a week this would work better than being left in the backyard exposed to the elements, better that he is in a warm safe place, the pen outside is good for the warmer weather.