Training Treats For Raw Fed Puppy?

spice_1

I started dehydrated my own meat and chopping it in to tiny pieces. Big money saver! A dehydrator makes the job easy but you can use the oven down low too.

There's a few threads on here regarding DIY treats plus loads on the internet. There's one called salmon 'crack' for dogs which mine didn't really like but could be worth trying.

It's basically 1-2 cups of whichever flour you use, can of salmon with juice, an egg or two and whatever else your dog finds yummy, eg cheese, peanut butter, cooked pumpkin etc. Mix and when its a dough like consistency squash flat on a baking sheet and cook at 180° for 25-35 Min. Cut in to small pieces while still warm. You'll probably end up with crunchy outside bits and slightly squishy inside bits.

My guys are also raw fed, like roova I dehydrate my own things, but anything can be done really- liver to make liver treats, muscle meat, heart, fish etc.

If I am at home, I just use raw meat though. Chicken hearts are great, or just their cut up meat from their meals into smaller bits. Alternatively if you don't want to handle raw meat, you can boil it, either until it's fully cooked or until the outside is cooked and the inside is still raw.

I also use ziwipeak dog food as a treat, it seems expensive, but it's cheaper than buying liver treats,many healthier.

I also make tuna fudge, which is pretty much what roova posted. Not super healthy, but they love it!

Edited by denali

I sometimes get these treats from my local pet store Venison heart.

I like them because they're really easy to break into tiny pieces by hand (I have a tiny dog) and I don't need to get the knife out, they don't smell bad, aren't moist so can go in my pocket and the dogs love them!

Sometimes I will use raw mince or chop up chicken necks to train with, but that can get pretty gross!

I'm not a strict raw feeder however and usually go for dogroll for training treats, or cheese if I have run out of everything else.

It all depends on what you are training. If you are doing a lot of shaping, like as in clicker training, heeling etc then you need soft treats that you can cut up very small, about the size of a pea because you are going to be feeding lots of them & they need to be consumed quickly so the dog doesn't lose his focus. If you just want something to reward a good behaviour, like a recall etc, then you can use something bigger. Not sure how you would use chicken necks in training. I have done a page up on my website all about the different uses & types of treats as well as some suggestions for home produced & you can access that page HERE (worth a look). I use soft home made treats for most of my training but I always have some all natural, dried treats that I can put in my pocket for walks etc. so that I can reward good behaviour while out walking. I get my dried treats from Loyalty Pet Treats. They are 100% Australian, except for the NZ Green Lipped Mussels, & have no additives or preservatives.

people I know cut up chicken necks to use in training. Very useful if you are throwing your rewards in agility, where larger treats are easier to see.

Yeah I agree that you could use them for throwing, but not real useful for shaping & a bit messy. I find cheese really good for throwing, though I would normally use a Lotus Ball with a dried treat inside. Lotus Balls

people I know cut up chicken necks to use in training. Very useful if you are throwing your rewards in agility, where larger treats are easier to see.

Yeah I agree that you could use them for throwing, but not real useful for shaping & a bit messy. I find cheese really good for throwing, though I would normally use a Lotus Ball with a dried treat inside. Lotus Balls

I agree, you wouldn't catch me using raw chicken necks, rather messy, yuck! lol but people do! There is a reason I don't feed raw to my dogs in training :laugh: . Cheese is great, I currently use cut up dog roll http://www.prime100.com.au/Pages/Our_Range/Single_Protein_Diet___SPD___-_Vet_Recommended.aspx

Yeah cut up chicken necks for thrown rewards in agility, and as a high value reward in tracking. I only used them when I was doing 100% raw feeding and didn't feed cheese or dogroll and Elsie doesn't find dried food *that* great, now I just go for dogroll as it's the easiest option.

Chopped raw chicken necks are da bomb :D Raw chicken hearts go down well here too. Yes it's a bit messy but that's what soap is for. Otherwise I throw plain chicken breasts on the coal Weber when we are having a BBQ, use cheese and 4 Legs.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I bag up their daily food allowance into small bags and use each bag in a training session, except for the final meal which would be a bit of egg/supplements/mince and/or bone.

Yes it is a bit gross handling raw meat but you get over it!

I also get cheap chuck steak, chop it up small and blanch it for a couple of seconds in hot water so its still raw inside but a bit less slippery to handle.

Dried treats aren't ideal for training treats.

Thanks for the link Sheena!

more recipes to try. I have 3 large dogs, and a pup. Good n cheap is how i like it.

Mine work for vegemite on toast, and they value it highly.

Ive found the top rated treat around here, its kidney. I refuse to cook it after last week's effort. My house stunk!

I'll use chicken necks in training. Generally as a treat after training session finishes. I have a burger, the dog has a chicken neck:)

I tried tracking with cat food last week. He like that, and it was very tiny and dry. I need a bigger cat food!