Trick Dog

I am just interested in people's thoughts on the trick dog title?

I have had a quick look at it, and one of my first thoughts is that it is a bit of a money-spinner for the lady who runs it. Mainly because it seems like you have to buy her books that describe the criteria for the tricks described. But I suppose if she's gone to the effort of setting it up, it should be ok for her to make some money out of it.

What I like about it:

It provides a framework for training.

It might be good for those not interested, or unable to go to other trials, but still want a training challenge.

I also like how you can pick and choose the tricks that suit you and your dog.

The titles show recognition for the work you put in.

I am thinking it could be a good thing to introduce to our club, especially among the members that are not so interested in trialing. It might be quite a fun way to get them enthused about training, and to motivate them to have a go at shaping etc.

So has anyone here done them? Do you think they're worthwhile, or a bit of a waste of money?

link is here for anyone interested http://domorewithyourdog.com/pages/trickdogtitle.html

Edited by raineth

I haven't any experience of the course. Anything that encourages positive interaction between dog and owner is definitely a thumbs up from me. Not that I'd do it mind you but I'm not your average owner I guess and my lot do tricks as part of body awareness for agility anyway. My puppy classes LOVE getting their certificate and I know a few get framed and put on the wall.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I haven't any experience of the course. Anything that encourages positive interaction between dog and owner is definitely a thumbs up from me. Not that I'd do it mind you but I'm not your average owner I guess and my lot do tricks as part of body awareness for agility anyway. My puppy classes LOVE getting their certificate and I know a few get framed and put on the wall.

Yes, that's why I like the idea too :)

Breeze has the Novice Trick Dog title, working towards Intermediate (have just been a bit lazy in filming it!), and I certainly didn't have to buy any of her books?

I enjoy tricks and also agree anything that promotes positive dog owner interaction is ok in my books. :)

Breeze has the Novice Trick Dog title, working towards Intermediate (have just been a bit lazy in filming it!), and I certainly didn't have to buy any of her books?

I enjoy tricks and also agree anything that promotes positive dog owner interaction is ok in my books. :)

It's under 'witness instructions' in the booklet:

WITNESS INSTRUCTIONS

Read trick criteria specified in one of these books by Kyra Sundance.

0AGE NUMBERS ARE LISTED ON THIS FORM NEXT TO EACH TRICK

What kind of things do they teach you? :o

Check out this pdf Thistle http://domorewithyourdog.com/downloads/trickdogtitle.pdf

It outlines all the tricks.

I thought it might be a good way for some of the people in our club to learn shaping. Many of the people at club only use luring to teach their dog new behaviours :) As well I just think that teaching tricks might motivate members who aren't interested in formal obedience and agility etc.

Edited by raineth

WITNESS INSTRUCTIONS

My witness was their certified instructor so you don't have to buy the books, you can just use their instructors.

The tricks are pretty self-explanatory so I don't think you really need it.

Edit: They can't police whether or not your witness owns the book or not anyway??

Edited by silentchild

WITNESS INSTRUCTIONS

My witness was their certified instructor so you don't have to buy the books, you can just use their instructors.

Edit: They can't police whether or not your witness owns the book or not anyway??

Oh ok, so you sent the certified instructor your videos of you and Breeze doing the tricks? Or do you happen to have one locally?

I don't find that all the tricks are self-explanatory, but I haven't googled any of them yet. Like 'Pedestal' and 'Volleyball' I could take a guess at what they mean, but I'd rather know exactly. It seems a bit dodgy otherwise :)

WITNESS INSTRUCTIONS

Oh ok, so you sent the certified instructor your videos of you and Breeze doing the tricks? Or do you happen to have one locally?

I don't find that all the tricks are self-explanatory, but I haven't googled any of them yet. Like 'Pedestal' and 'Volleyball' I could take a guess at what they mean, but I'd rather know exactly. It seems a bit dodgy otherwise :)

I filmed our tricks and sent it, there are facebook groups for each level which is run by the instructors and you can post your videos there for them to give you feedback and assess too.

If I remember right there was a document with a brief explanation of every trick, but it's been a while since I've bothered to look at it so I could be remembering wrong.

Thanks, silentchild :) I'll look all those up. I'll see if I can find the booklet. I've only just started looking into it all so it's possible I just haven't come across it yet :)

I also have to work out how we could get it to work in a group setting.

Pardon my ignorance, but it's not confined to just kennel clubs is it? Would my mutt be allowed to participate? You mentioned you can send videos to instructors online? It looks like a lot of fun...can't find anything on the website that says one way or another.

A certificate and patch/medal would be a nice thing to work towards and those tricks you linked look fun/great for when you run out of ideas (if a bit vague so guess I'd need this book to explain...but if instructions are clear, I don't mind buying the book)

Are people likely to...uh...look down on a mutt dog if I join the facebook, assuming she's allowed to participate? I've been a little burned and turned off some activities by less welcoming people :/

Edited by Thistle the dog

Pardon my ignorance, but it's not confined to just kennel clubs is it? Would my mutt be allowed to participate? You mentioned you can send videos to instructors online? It looks like a lot of fun...can't find anything on the website that says one way or another.

A certificate and patch/medal would be a nice thing to work towards and those tricks you linked look fun/great for when you run out of ideas (if a bit vague so guess I'd need this book to explain...but if instructions are clear, I don't mind buying the book)

Are people likely to...uh...look down on a mutt dog if I join the facebook, assuming she's allowed to participate? I've been a little burned and turned off some activities by less welcoming people :/

Not restricted to kennel clubs at all and mutts are certainly very welcome. There are plenty of people with crossbreeds in the facebook groups. :) This isn't affiliated with the AKC in any way, so you'll be fine.

You can always join a Spark team (facebook group - click on the 'online classes' link on the website) and get a feel for it. You don't have to post if you don't want to.

I certainly don't look down on mutts doing any ANKC sport they are eligible for! Agility, obedience, tracking!

As far as I'm aware the Trick Dog title is like Flyball and Noseworks and is not certified via ANKC.

I'm going to go lurk on those facebook pages thanks! Worse comes to worse, I guess I would end up owning a book all about dog tricks? Can't see a downside to that :laugh:

Thank you for sharing this! Nice to have something to assess ourselves against.

I might join either "Discover Pet Training Spark Team!" or "Novice Tricks with Sketch Spark Team!" I think

Have fun!! :thumbsup: I'm in the Heroic Spark teams.

This has motivated me to get off my lazy behind and finally submit my Intermediate application. I've been putting it aside for over a year lol. Breeze is pretty much qualified for Advanced but I am so lazy it will take me another year to film and submit for that LOL. :rofl:

Sorry to clarify again, I need to join one of the Facebook spark groups that has the instructors grey badge so they can be witnesses?

Edit. I joined 3 of them, to have a peek at the different styles. Rocking dawg, Discover spark and Brodie and Dalis team (novice only?)

Yes, I think so, unless you can contact one of them privately and ask if they would be willing to witness?

The witness doesn't have to be an instructor, it can be anyone like a friend or family member and you might not even need the book for Novice if you pick tricks that are pretty obvious, ie. sit pretty. The facebook groups are great for support and coaching though.

Yeah we could probably get novice as it is XD and possibly intermediate too. I guess I'm just surprised a lot such an honesty based system.

I just realised the list of tricks has page numbers of which book you can find the trick guidance in! Think I'll get that 101 one, it looks to clarify the more vague wording ones (directional casting? I can guess?)

But this is all really interesting! So many stunt dogs... Promising stunt dog modelling career for us one day sometime ;)