Whitney Has Started Covering Up Her Poo!

Flashsmum

I have noticed lately that Whitney (great dane) has started to try to cover her poo. She is not kicking dirt onto it, but using her nose to cover it with leaves, grass or dirt.

This is a new behaviour, so has me intrigued. Any ideas from the Knowledge Trust?

Some dogs do this. Unfortunately most people that only have one dog at a time don't experience it. Many of us that have many dogs at one time (breeders and showers) "may" experience it. You never know you may be lucky, just imagine what it is like to have one do this on cement.

I guess it is somehow linked to the old instinct's 'cleaning up around the den' to avoid predators; bitches with pups are also known to eat the poop of the young ones to minimize clues that would point to easy prey. Hence I would expect the 'poop burying behaviour' using the nose more from bitches than from males.

While urine and feces are used to mark territory or to lure potential partners on the trail (or leave warnings for competitors), around a den those signals are not helpful and might lead predators to vulnerable prey.

Scratching the ground after defecation is the opposite behaviour: canines have glands in the paws (also for sweating)- the poop and urine will be recognizable from a far distance, the sweat is the 'business card' telling other canines more details (male, female...where he/she comes from and where he/she went...etc.).

All these instincts are still somewhere buried in our civilized dogs, but for many of them the context got lost and therefore it looks weird sometimes.

Thanks for the replies!

never heard of a dog doing that before. Are they timid dogs? Maybe they dont want anyone to know they're around. :shrug:

Whitney can be a bit timid, but she also roosts her pee and poo sometimes, so seems contradictory?

I have no idea...

What do you feed her?

Her food ahs been the same for a long time, some kibble, fresh meat and occasional leftovers. It's seems to be new behaviour, so I don't think food is the cause :shrug:

I guess it is somehow linked to the old instinct's 'cleaning up around the den' to avoid predators; bitches with pups are also known to eat the poop of the young ones to minimize clues that would point to easy prey. Hence I would expect the 'poop burying behaviour' using the nose more from bitches than from males.

While urine and feces are used to mark territory or to lure potential partners on the trail (or leave warnings for competitors), around a den those signals are not helpful and might lead predators to vulnerable prey.

Scratching the ground after defecation is the opposite behaviour: canines have glands in the paws (also for sweating)- the poop and urine will be recognizable from a far distance, the sweat is the 'business card' telling other canines more details (male, female...where he/she comes from and where he/she went...etc.).

All these instincts are still somewhere buried in our civilized dogs, but for many of them the context got lost and therefore it looks weird sometimes.

This was my theory,(cleaning up) but since I've only just noticed it in the last couple of months, and she's lived with us for nearly 6 years, I thought it was strange. She was also breeding bitch retired from a breeder when we took her, and she is very motherly with small dogs, so that could be part of it as well!

She has heart problems and is on meds for both of the issues, so maybe she is feeling her age (10 yrs 4 months) and her health is getting worse, she is trying to cover up any evidence of weakness?? We have Harry, a greyhound, as well, but I don't think there are any problems between them (as in one being wary of the other) as neither dog is "top" dog, and they are like two peas in pod, I doubt that she is trying to hide her illness from him.

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks!

I have no idea...

What do you feed her?

Her food has been the same for a long time, some kibble, fresh meat and occasional leftovers. It's seems to be new behaviour, so I don't think food is the cause :shrug:

Nah - I assumed you'd have said if you'd changed food and she'd started doing it. I was more just interested. You know - high calcium raw breaks down faster/better than entirely canned at the other end of the spectrum. :) I've always been interested in poo :laugh: