Dental Treats

kamuzz

One of our dogs cannot eat bones because he has allergy issues. And I find brushing his teeth really hard. (All that floppy gum just gets in the way.)

Do any of the dental treats actually work?

e.g. https://www.petcircle.com.au/dog/treats/dental-treats

I'd be willing to try a couple to see how they affect his tummy, if they would help his teeth.

With the 3 dogs we go through about 6 litres of water a day so putting something in the drinking water is not a viable option.

I can't answer your Q but ...

What is he allergic to in the bones?

I'm wondering because (I assume) that there are things in these bars - which mimic bones. Right? (like cleaners with the "power of lemon" have things in them to mimic lemon - never, if rarely actual real lemon)... Hope i don't sound entirely crazy there.

Only thing I'd buy on that page would be the Savourlife treats - because they're aussie owned and made and a portion of their proceeds go back to rescue. Ingredients are not listed on the linked page.

For my money - I find almost any chew is just full of sh*t - and almost 100% makes Scotties grain allergies flair or he doesn't like them...

He does enjoy a bully stick and he does have to chew them - but they're pretty high in calories - so I've all but stopped giving them to him after he packed on a kilo while he was being crated every day and left with a bullystick (bad parenting 101 there - LOL).

Maybe you could try carrots?

**Edit. I found the ingredients.

Ingredients

Rice Flour

Wheat starch

Tapioca

Glycerine

Gelatin

Rice

Fresh Kangaroo Meat

Acacia Gum

Vitamins and Minerals

Citric Acid

Natural antioxidants and colour

Potassium Sorbate

Soy Lecithin

Mint and Parsley

Typical Analysis

Crude Protein 12.0%

Crude Fat 2.0%

Crude Fibre 2.5%

Salt (NaCl) occurring naturally <1%

Edited by Scottsmum

Greenies have an evidence base behind them.

http://www.ava.com.au/sites/default/files/AVA_website/pdfs/NSW_Division/Dental%20Homecare.pdf

c. commercial dental treats/chews

There are a large number of treats and chews on the market most of which have not undergone rigorous testing of their claims. Treats and chews need to be fed regularly to have an effect, preferably daily, so their use can become costly and calorie burdening. The occasional treat will be nice for the pet but will not significantly impact on their oral health.

Examples of dental treats and chews include Greenies for dogs and cats, Dentastix, rawhide chews and pigs ears. Like bones the correct size needs to be used for each pet and supervision is important.

Greenies are a bone shaped treat for dogs that is coloured with chlorophyll. They are non- staining and are difficult for pets to remove pieces. Greenies have undergone many studies and carry the Veterinary Oral Health Centre (VOHC) seal of approval. The VOHC seal is only given to dental products that have strong clinical trial evidence of effectiveness against plaque and tartar.

Dentastix have conducted trials using the VOHC guidelines but as yet do not have the VOHC seal. They are long straight chews with an X-shape. Designed for dogs they come in three different sizes.

Rawhide chews with and without additional enzyme systems are readily available to clients. These treats require supervision as some animals attempt to swallow them before they are soft enough and can cause GIT obstructions. There is clinical evidence of their effectiveness as a plaque and calculus control agent.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I have been using Whimzee's and have had a great deal of success. They are cute and hedghoggy!! I have also been experimenting with deer antlers.

With the brushing are you using a finger brush? I find them easier to keep on the teeth than an actual tooth brush.

Deer antlers in this house are a saga. There are three dogs. There are three pieces of deer antler. Coda the GSD chews for 30 seconds and then loses interest. That leaves three pieces and two setters.

Mazda settles down with any one piece, quite happily. Veli wants the piece that Mazda has. Give Veli that piece. Mazda takes another piece and settles down again. Veli chews his piece for 3 seconds and then goes back to standing in front of Mazda looking mournful. Rinse and repeat....

One of our dogs cannot eat bones because he has allergy issues. And I find brushing his teeth really hard. (All that floppy gum just gets in the way.)

Do any of the dental treats actually work?

e.g. https://www.petcircle.com.au/dog/treats/dental-treats

I'd be willing to try a couple to see how they affect his tummy, if they would help his teeth.

With the 3 dogs we go through about 6 litres of water a day so putting something in the drinking water is not a viable option.

...in this case I would avoid any (dental) treats that contain glycerin; it is at least arguable whether glycerin is natural ingredient for dog food / treats - more concerning is that it is known for causing skin reactions and allergies, and if this is not enough, there have been cases where industrial grade glycerin was used in treats which can be even toxic.

Roo tendons work ok for my allergy boy but he has to get them every day to really make much difference to his teeth. Antlers are ok for him too. I just have to brush his teeth as he is allergic to beef and pork and gelatin most of those treats have one of those. The vegetable protein ones I've tried but don't think they do much for plaque.

The only other product I haven't tried yet but is supported by the local dental vet is Maxigaurd (http://addisonlabs.com/products/maxiguard-oral-cleansing-gel.php) which I am considering trying for my dog too.

The only other product I haven't tried yet but is supported by the local dental vet is Maxigaurd (http://addisonlabs.com/products/maxiguard-oral-cleansing-gel.php) which I am considering trying for my dog too.

Yep, our vet has other clients who swear by MaxiGuard. We use it as part of our regime, though I can't personally vouch for it as it hasn't been used in isolation.

RMBs here. My guys get bones most Sunday mornings. Sarah my beautiful 14 year old has lovely teeth - my vet can't believe how good her teeth are at her age. A vet who I really respect once told me it's also partly how dogs actually chew. And I think there is probably some truth in that. My three westies were all fed the same including bones - Sarah has beautiful teeth, Mac had terrible teeth and very few left by the time he died no matter what I did. Andes teeth aren't as good as Sarah's but are OK. I also think how good their early dental care or lack of it plays a part. Mac had zero care and was behind the eight-ball from early on. He had terrible teeth when I got him as a six year old.

So I'm not a big fan of these water additives, chews, etc etc. as I think it's a combination of things and is more complicated than just giving bones or some sort of commercial tooth cleaner.

I have found raw hide type treats to work best. long lasting and keep teeth really clean but not hard enough or fatty enough to cause issues with broken teeth or upset tummies..

We use schmakos chew strips, blackdog pork twists, various other raw hide things... I have also used and recommend chicken necks and wings - although have not been doing that as much of late. my dogs have excellent teeth - the only issue we have had was my older girl who fractured her carnassials when we used to give marrow bones!!

Am brushing his teeth with a child's toothbrush, which is what the vet recommended. Will have to look out for the "on the finger" type.

Showdog, how do you find your Setter's teeth? I feel like I need an extra pair of hands. Trying to keep the dog still and get his mouth open and find his teeth under all that gum - end result is toothpaste on the outside of his mouth usually. The OH will not help. <sigh>

Dentastix were on special so OH bought a couple of boxes. They last - oh three seconds maybe. (And they are the right size for his weight.) He has also been getting a raw carrot in his dinner. That lasts a bit longer than the Dentastix.

Greenies are harder to eat than dentastix so you may have more luck with them.

I can't comment on a setter mouth, but Malcolm was verrrry wiggly and uncooperative when I first started brushing his teeth. I kept sessions super short at first before building up, and always gave (and continue to give) him his greenie afterwards. I think originally it was just a swipe on each side! He gets excited about teeth brushing now and tolerates it because good stuff happens afterwards. I do think you'll probably find it easier with a finger brush or some gauze wrapped around your finger.

Am brushing his teeth with a child's toothbrush, which is what the vet recommended. Will have to look out for the "on the finger" type.

You can get them in petbarn. :) and my vet used to carry them too - not sure if she still does

A friend of ours gave us a Philips Sonicare toothbrush. I bought some new heads for it.

The dogs like it, I reckon it's because I don't push too hard or vigorously on their teeth which I tend to do with hand brushing.

It's easy to use though you need to switch it on when it's in their mouths as all the toothpaste flies off and splatters all over the walls

have a search around as there are usually some good deals offered.

Anyway, this is it:

http://www.philips.c...tric-toothbrush

and the heads here--> http://www.ebay.com....YUAAOSw6EhUUgAX