Perses' Pups

persephone

Never a dull moment.
Wednesday - mid-morning.

The 'middle of nowhere' - around 30 km from home - mallee scrub/sand etc.

The Boss & his team of Koolies were subduing and trapping feral goats.
Somehow, someway, somewhere, BO - the mum of Dags & Clive, the 7 yr old "Brown Bomber", went astray  & got separated. 
A few hours later, after much to-ing and fro-ing, & searching for her, perhaps with one or two goats she thought to keep an eye on, or her with an injury ..the Boss needed to move on, so left a spare trailer as a 'base', along with one of his jackets, and a drink of water. 
Later that evening he returned to the site. Nothing. So he drove again. He did spot vehicle tracks pulling over on a nearby road, very near little paddy paw prints! had she perhaps been picked up by well-meaning folks? 
So - he left his motorbike at another spot in case she scented that ..and came home.
It was a sad night. I kept waking up every time a dog so much as farted- thinking Bo had returned! :( 
Next day, he found no trace, and so I advertised all over Facebook, and local dog catchers etc ......by this time feeling shattered. Bo was my 'sneak in during Winter for a snuggle' dog - being a short-legged smallish wee lass.....and very fond of a cuddle - she was also The Boss's forceful goat gouger! 
Anyhow...last night we thought perhaps she had indeed been dognapped and was being spoilt richly and happily... not so bad an ending...as she wasn't in any horrible Council pounds, anyway. 
Another morning, another deserted bed on the porch ( yes she was a special dog) ..and stuff to do. No news on Facebook, no messages on my phone. 
back inside to have a cuppa & some chocolate!! 
Outside to check the washing machine ..." good Morning, Bo-bo"
BO-BO ?????!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy tears, this time, and much inward emotion, with Bo heading toward the kitchen door, obviously feeling a tad peckish!  LOL 
Anyhow, she was soon munching on whatever I found in the fridge, plus some treats - I gave her feet a bit of a rinse and a check over - a bit bruised, but fine - and then she went & lay in her favourite sunny patch in the sand, flicking off flies, and blinking wearily  at me.

48 hrs, between 20 & 30 kms cross country maybe a quick drink at one sheep /goat trough  if she went the right way... 

"That'll Do, Pig" 

It is SO VERY GOOD to have her home again  :love:

• Like 5

Thanx, @tdierikx and @Kazm She did a lot of sleeping yesterday (and eating) but was (almost) back to her crazy, noisy self running with the pack in the evening melee LOL. She slept in The Boss's room last night, and must have appeared hale & hearty this morning, as she's gone to work! He did mention last night he could really use her expertise in a short but vital stint this morning, steering a mob of fresh feral goats into a 'trapyard', but wouldn't take her if she wasn't looking fit enough. I know she'll be travelling on the passenger seat - not in the back, with the 'workers', like Smoke & Dags  LOL 

Dogs are equipped with such amazing sensory organs which enable them to follow scents/remember things - even after a lifetime of being part of a human/dog pack they can still surprise and fascinate me. :love: 

What I must write up is what happened to our Smoke boy before Christmas - if you think Bo is special !!  ;) 

teaser : "we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto" 

• Like 3

Ok...here it is ! @tdierikx @Kazm @PossumCorner

Smoke and Dust .

It was one of those weeks where the thermometer seemed to prefer numbers beginning with 4.HOT. Windy too, with clouds of dust, and Willy-Willys dancing up to the sky in some places. Summer in all its droughty horror.
The Boss and the gang were mustering and trapping feral goats over an hour’s drive from home where there was nothing much except a road used by a mining crew, a homestead- unlived in, and bare dirt.
Feral goats take a team of good dogs to ‘steer’ in the direction of a yard/trap. The goats are gathered into a mob, often unwillingly, as goats are family-oriented, and resist mixing- then are made to use up some energy before being shown the way by the dogs – well, that’s all good in theory!
When it’s so dusty that vision is affected, scents are whirling in the wind, and trees are making odd sounds, it becomes a bit tricky. Add Willy-Willys, and it gets really interesting!
Smoke was sent out to bring in a couple of goats, and off he went, our little ‘dropbear’.
the Boss said then there was a HUGE Willy Willy, right in Smoke’s path ..and he disappeared!
The Boss whistled & called – no Smoke, but plenty of dust, plus the other dogs, and some rattled goats. Absolutely no chance of tracks in a storm such as that, so he relied on Smoke’s doggy senses to get him back with the rest of them.
Time wore on, and still no Smoke. At this point, The Boss was starting to imagine Toto/Kansas/red slippers……! Surely not!
he did what he had to do, then left some items for a base to be scented/found by a wandering dog. A jacket, some water, a motorbike. Drove home, looking, calling, listening.
We were confident he’d be sitting at the base in the morning. Wrong. More driving/looking/calling/seeking tracks in the sand.
Now we notified locals of Smoke’s wanderings- some knew him , most didn’t and we told them they’d certainly be able to tell him from the normal kelpies/koolies!
Another day of driving, calling, motorbiking, looking – setting up another base with food & water …
Nothing.
By this time, with temps in the 40’s and absolutely no sign, we were pretty sure he had gone. Poor little Smoke- Such a perpetually happy boy   
. Vanished into the dust and sand.
All in all The Boss covered about 300km looking ..and we phoned everyone we could think of. We finally thought of local pounds- something we had never had to do before – checking online, seeing all sorts of dogs/cats/rabbits – dreading seeing a familiar face.
A daughter of a friend put it on her FB as she lived in the area – so we had everything covered. We waited. And looked at his bed, and his pooh bear toy, and photos ….and told stories ….
One night, after ten days of worrying, we got a phone call late at night. It was this girl, saying a lady had picked up a fluffy grey dog on the town’s main street and was keeping him safe at her house. “Are these photos, Smoke?” they certainly were! Looking tired and bedraggled, but definitely ALIVE, and cuddled up to the lady’s leg.
I made arrangements to collect him first thing next morning – and did so, collecting one very weary, badly sunburned, raw footed and prickle-covered fluffy dog with much happiness and thankfulness. <3 
I wish he could tell us his story.
What we pieced together is this much.
That giant, noisy WillyWilly scared the bejabbers out of him and he just took off, disoriented. Then couldn’t find the Boss. He must have wandered until he found the homestead, and sheltered there. Wandered some more km till he found a trough or two with water ( a very scarce commodity), eaten from carcasses he found along the way and wandered some more. Eventually, quite a distance from where he went missing he must have come across the road. He was picked up by a kind truckie, who drove him 80 km to town. The truckie left Smoke in his cab & went into a motel. Someone let Smoke OUT of the cab, hence Smoke trotting down the main street, being spotted by the lady, and scooped up, thankfully! She had dogs of her own and had also lockable dog pens, so was able to keep him absolutely secure for the night. She requested I.D before he could be collected, and everything worked out well.
His poor back was scabbed over from sunburn, and a few pads were raw, his eyes were fly-bitten & runny, and he slept for about 3 days – but he recovered quickly, and is back, happily annoying everyone, chasing goats and providing much entertainment for one& all.  

This pic is when I collected him . the other..a proper 'dropbear'  :)

Smoke on return_200223115133.jpg

Smoke, alias DropBear June 2018__200223115953.jpg

Edited by persephone
  • Like 5

Wow. Now that is a story. Strange how he just disappeared - “gone up in smoke” ??? :laugh: At least it was a happy ending. Thanks goodness he was scooped up by a very nice person. He looks such a cute cuddly boy too. 

• Like 1

I think I'm in love with the Boss... he goes the full 100% for the fur-workers...

That said, you and the Boss raise some pretty resourceful dogs... *grin*

... with the odd exception... Clive, I'm looking at you... and Pud, definitely looking at you my furry friend... lol!

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tdierikx said:

I think I'm in love with the Boss... he goes the full 100% for the fur-workers...

That said, you and the Boss raise some pretty resourceful dogs... *grin*

... with the odd exception... Clive, I'm looking at you... and Pud, definitely looking at you my furry friend... lol!

T.

Clive is a people dog and would make a perfect therapy dog or homestead host.

Pudden, well he is still finding his place in this world. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...