Perses' Pups

persephone

Do you ever trap the foxes perse? The hungry, ill, and slow ones are usually easy to catch and dispatch using a cage trap loaded with giblets.

Good boy Don... you did your best....

T.

T - live trapping is so goddammed stressful for any critter .I have done it - but hate it with a passion . :o my live traps were placed in shrubbery , protected from the wind and rain , and were secure from attempted predation by eagles etc ......yes they worked for foxes and cats .. but i couldn't be unmoved by the behaviour of whoever was trapped :(

I would much rather the critter be alert, , not alarmed , and then , simply be no more . I am usually a good enough shot to grant them an instant exit from the world.

That's the way I think as well, wish more people thought like this

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Do you ever trap the foxes perse? The hungry, ill, and slow ones are usually easy to catch and dispatch using a cage trap loaded with giblets.

Good boy Don... you did your best....

T.

T - live trapping is so goddammed stressful for any critter .I have done it - but hate it with a passion . :o my live traps were placed in shrubbery , protected from the wind and rain , and were secure from attempted predation by eagles etc ......yes they worked for foxes and cats .. but i couldn't be unmoved by the behaviour of whoever was trapped :(

I would much rather the critter be alert, , not alarmed , and then , simply be no more . I am usually a good enough shot to grant them an instant exit from the world.

That's the way I think as well, wish more people thought like this

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yes, canetoad .

IMO , there is nothing "humane" about live trapping any mammal.

I have seen my share of injuries, panicked faces, etc - also abortions & cannibalism in pigs , broken teeth and claws in other mammals, incl. mice . When we were kids, like millions of other families, we used the jawed traps for rabbiting - to earn money, and to eat.

How absolutely awful was that - looking back :(

Fair cop about the trapping... but possibly a bit less nasty than dying of mange, distemper, or starvation?

I hope you have a clean line of sight of him when he next shows up, and you can end his suffering quickly.

Note that now is when they are out and about mating... sightings may be more numerous at this time... and from August, they will be out looking for extra food due to having litters to care for.

T.

Most large properties are baiting at present ... On one property ..baiting done according to guidelines (buried, marked, mapped) there was an average of 80 % uptake!! We think perhaps baits are being cached ..as otherwise there were several hundred foxes roaming ....

Must admit to having not seen a mangy /ill fox for a few years now - makes a nice change ....

Edited by persephone

Are they using 1080 baits perse? Personally, I'd rather trap than have them die the slow and painful death 1080 gives them... and 1080 is deadly up the food chain, so anything predating on the corpses will die too... *sigh*

There's no easy answer, is there? I reckon shooting is probably the most humane method out there... and most remote farmers are very good shots...

T.

Are they using 1080 baits perse? Personally, I'd rather trap than have them die the slow and painful death 1080 gives them... and 1080 is deadly up the food chain, so anything predating on the corpses will die too... *sigh*

There's no easy answer, is there? I reckon shooting is probably the most humane method out there... and most remote farmers are very good shots...

T.

1080, yes :( horrible - but all that's available , when properties are around 100,000 acres, etc . If pelts were worth more , shooting would become a more used method .

It's all awful.

Tug-o-War - with referee LOL

13557773_10153809633554007_5990021130765247461_n.jpg?oh=bffa590b07d2d6909ecd8f6b0d3f792c&oe=57F5E20B

My money is on Miss Molly.

Smoke might have the brawn but I think she'd probably have him in the brains & speed departments and Puddy would be too scared to rule against her anyhow...

hrmmm... Who decides white is a good dog coat colour? LOL.

Looking dapper Moll Doll.

actually a pastel pink ;) bad iphone snap , sorry . It's not an 'over the bum one ' .. a wee bit short - but very warm - and wind proof :)

hrmmm... Who decides white is a good dog coat colour? LOL.

Looking dapper Moll Doll.

actually a pastel pink ;) bad iphone snap , sorry . It's not an 'over the bum one ' .. a wee bit short - but very warm - and wind proof :)

Ah - Right o. Still a terrible choice design wise :) but lucky find for Ms Molly.

Scotties weatherbeater is like that - terrible design, stiff as a board and his bum pokes out - but I think its warmest of the lot.